jheadley

Garage rock bands thread

At The old place, I had a great thread going on ska bands where you all schooled me on the best of new and old ska sounds. I recently had the pleasure of discovering the Sonics at long last and I love that classic garage sound - the primal screams, the organ, a bit of distortion, etc. I've got some of the basics covered, stuff like the Kinks, the Attack, Rolling Stones' London Years collection is even in a similar vein.

So with that said, what are your favorite bands along these lines?

Guest kelley

If you like that organ sound and want to hear something newer The Murder City Devils used it extensively.

The garage sound is kind of broad. If you like the 60's era I'd suggest picking up compilations and then going to find the bands that catch your ear. I'd suggest

Nuggets :original artifacts, garage beat '66, Back from the grave vol.1,2,3,4,etc.., Garage Punk unknowns, Hang it out to dry, Quagmire: Sixties punk in the usa. For new stuff I'm not to sure. Is Ty Segal considered garage? Jim Jones review, Jukes of Kent? I like a lot of primitive r&r and there are lots of cross overs in blues, rock, pschedelic, rockabilly, funk.  

• Upvote 2

1983 I was tryin to dj around San Diego and LA. I would ride my scoot or bmr with my army shoulder bag that carried 12 albums. I had Paladins, the Jam, Black Flag, Zoot Suit 12", Cookie Puss 12", Iggy Pop, Ramones, Wasted Youth 12", Cassette tape of Stone Roses(mailed to my buddy who was a dj at ucsd lajolla),..........

I got mixed reviews and everybody thought Cookie Puss was wack(nobody knew who The Beastie Boys were)...........but Cookie Puss was the most requested.

If I had to take one song to the grave it would be Iggy Pop the Passenger and Ramones I don't care...........yea its 2 songs.......fuck off.

• Upvote 1

Yeah I really dig that 60's garage freakbeat kind of vibe, which is more where I was coming from on the initial question.  I do however dig that raw 70's punk vibe also so that direction of suggestions is appreciated also.  I'm gonna have to find some compilations like Stu suggested.  For anyone who digs this stuff, subscribe to the podcast 60's Garage and Freakbeat Streaming and Podcasts @ Outskirts.FM on Itunes.  There are no new podcasts coming out but some dude named DJ Spy from Moscow digitized an incredible amount of 45's from all over the world that are so honed in on that sound.  Fantastic podcasts, download 'em all - you never know when podcast hosting disappears.

Second the comps that Stu lists.  Also check the out the Standells and the Seeds.

• Upvote 2

Johnny kidd and the pirates are worth a mention. But pandora's sonic radio station is really good.

• Upvote 1

Nice one Corey on the Prisoners, I was vaguely aware of them but really like what you posted - going to have to get some of that.  I have also heard of the James Taylor Quartet which also is the same organist (didn't know that).

I checked into that Nuggets compilation and that is going to be sweet.  Local library has a copy, gonna pick that up soon and have a good listen.  I'm gonna have to find some of that Garage Beat 66 compilation also, that comes up often on my Sonics Pandora station.

I've been into Thee Headcoats, Buff Medways, Younger Lovers, the Monks... guess I'm leaning more toward sloppy, lo-fi garage punk... Mummies type stuff.

• Upvote 2

I like Thee Headcoats enough to make a Pandora station out of them - they have so much material I don't even know where to begin!  Plus the follow-on bands, it's wild.

love garage and played in garage bands when i was a kid in the 1960's. (am still at it). to my mind the quintessential g-band song would be 96 tears. it has all the elements ie: two chords (except the Em in the bridge) ,cheesy organ, w/lyrics spit out in an assault of teen-angst! since there was a billion g-bands in every town in the country and most of the rest of the world it's impossible to list 'em all however along w/the music machine and the sonics (who we thought were the best) and then there were the seeds. the style tended to change somewhat in the late mid 60's to a more "psychedelic" approach but kept on and a good example of later garage would be the ramones who's style was totally 60's garage. here is a link to guys i grew up with and played w/all those years ago ...they are still at it too.

The Paragons - Abba     

• Upvote 2