NickW

Route 66 by the Brits

How big can waves get on a pond?

Deben tansportation? As in the river Deben in Woodbridge Suffolk? If it is, this world just got a lot smaller...

What I will say is that that triple axle on the split rig is frikkin knar knar.

Is that "knar knar" as in gnarly?

Anyway, despite the kick-ass truck suspension, I've seen how containers are handled at the port (let alone what happens on the open sea) and, if it were me, I'd go by the closest abandoned lot to gather up some old jizz-stained mattresses to wedge in between the scoots and the walls and each other.

I agree with the you'll go insane at the nothingness :-)

Me and my wife did Vegas to Lake Havasu to see ye olde london bridge then on to Long Beach :-( :-(

15 hours of straight desert roads !!!

Why? Is the pineapple salsa that bad :D

After watching the "Long Way Around" documentary when they open the container to find their motorcycles upside down and sideways. Left a pit in my stomach for days!!

NickW did you have to steam clean any dirt and oil off ??

Years ago I had a Citroen and was going to ship it over to the USA for a rally but was put off by an environmental form that stated

No oil leaks No soil or road grime !!

Train Driver - all we had to do was empty scooters of oil and petrol. We had all washed them prior to loading though. It may not look like it!

Dirtyhand - yes Debens is from down that way.

It's too late now to ensure our beauties reach the other side of the big pond safely because they've gone.. I believe we were only getting them transported to the docks and the shipping company would be doing further packing stuff.

upjettr - yes I saw that too. You just never know what will happen. After that plane went down near Perth, Australia photos we saw over here of possible aircraft debris often turned out to be containers that had fallen off ships.

Dirko - we did think of mattresses but your customs people apparently didn't like the idea.

cheers all

nick

Is that "knar knar" as in gnarly?

No............I was on a roll with 'frikkin' so I thought id keep the finger right where it was.

• Upvote 1

I would assume that the shipping company will crate the scooters before shipping by sea. That's what they did with mine. Those guys can build up a crate in a few minutes. I watched them crate my Lambretta.

I've always wanted to do a trip like you guys have planned. It will be quite an adventure!

Why? Is the pineapple salsa that bad :D

It's great, but the habaneros (scotch bonnet peppers) are SCORCHING!  Like I said, my favorite food (or at least most memorable) at the ABQ Jammy but definitely not for the faint of heart in regard to spicy, eh?

Scott

Scott, I've been looking at youtube vids. It kinda looks very hot! I like hot things but not that hot :D

Kev, I believe that's what's happening. Also been told we might get some more charges for taking them out the crate when we reach the USA.

I don't see why you couldn't take delivery of them whilst crated. You may want to be present when they uncrate them, just to make sure nothing was damaged during shipping or unpacking. Can you be present while they crate them in the UK?

Already crated and gone. Not sure what happens in Chicago. I have been told that we will have to unpack them that end. Not long now til we fly out 18 days for me :D

• Upvote 2

If it helps, I have contacts in Chicago if you need to hire a "hammer" or two to help with the un-crating and hauling of waste.

Let us know when you guys get landed and unpacked! If you havent left the UK yet and didnt have a jacket packed, throw one in the bag. It was 31 here in Santa Fe a couple nights ago. I say that now and watch it be 100 when you get here.. Oh! Well that would be -1 and uh.. I guess 50 to you? You crazy cats with your metric weather ;-)

• Upvote 1

I'm assuming you all made it to Chicago and are enjoying our lovely May winter... Tomorrow should at least be passable for the ride to Springfield. Best of luck!

Sadly we all made it but the scooters are with customs in New York. On Weds our carrirrs said scooters would be with us Sat. Sat we were told scooters were still with the Customs and we could still be waiting Thurs. We sre currently in discussion :-( on what we can do now.

Is there an Estate attorney you call in NY to see if they can fast track this or maybe the British consulate office.

Maybe i'm crazy but you never know.

welcome to "merica" bureaucracy! Please hurry up and wait, it's break time somewhere and there's chatter about terrorists riding scooters across the US being recorded by the NSA! seriously good luck I hope you guys get your bikes and on the road soon! On another note there's three germans doing the same thing On P series V3$p@s coming across from the other direction right now too so you may cross paths. I got a call monday that they had broken down in seligman az, about 3 hours drive from my shop north, their sponsors had called scooterworks looking for a shop to overnight parts for them to.

seriously, fire your carrier and get a new customs broker. you should be riding already.

• Upvote 1