NickW

Route 66 by the Brits

Joined this forum today, great to see the response from you people for our trip. I am the driver of the back up vehicle. Good advice from everybody, especially driving in front through the wilderness  :)

Paul G

The Missouri Hick looks good. Starting to feel hungry already.

Nice scooter Paul. Got mine finished yesterday(mechanically) not that  long to go now :lol:

Hey Brits, Oiltek Paul in particular-

I met you guys in the tavern in Avignon on one of the nights of the eurolambretta rally.  It was a pleasure to yell at you above the music in the bar, I should have offered to buy you guys a beer.  

Its great to see that you are following through on your plans, even if they seem daunting.  I second the emotion on somehow filming parts of the ride and things you guys see, it could be interesting.

And for anyone who lives close enough to give these guys a hand, or show some support, I think it would be nice and helpful.

porter

Nick-

I have just sent an email to John Beck.  Sharing some thoughts on the trip I took on rt 66 On my Lambretta

Hi K-dog, John as forwarded your email to me, I will email you shortly.

Cheers, Paul Gillow - www.oiltek.co.uk

Hey Brits, Oiltek Paul in particular-

I met you guys in the tavern in Avignon on one of the nights of the eurolambretta rally.  It was a pleasure to yell at you above the music in the bar, I should have offered to buy you guys a beer.  

Its great to see that you are following through on your plans, even if they seem daunting.  I second the emotion on somehow filming parts of the ride and things you guys see, it could be interesting.

And for anyone who lives close enough to give these guys a hand, or show some support, I think it would be nice and helpful.

porter

Hi porter, good to hear from you again. Yes the idea as become a reality, so looking forward to the trip and will not miss the Euro in Switzerland one bit , even if I am only driving the back up vehicle!

Paul

Sounds like an awesome ride!

I live in Chicago and would be happy to meet the crew for drinks on Friday the 16th before the first day of riding and see you off in the morning. I could probably round up a few others here in Chicago and put you in touch with some scooterists in St. Louis.

Maybe you can help us paulie4k, I am struggling finding a source for the vehicle hire one way to LA, U-Haul seems to be the only option on the internet with their 10 foot truck, but this seems a little over the top for our requirements. I have tried (again on the internet) with Enterprise to hire a Van like the GM express but without any success. Do you know of any other cargo van hire people in Chicago that do the one way hire?

Thanks,Paul

Paul, I read in a review that this company give one way rentals to the west coast

http://elitetruckrental.com/size.html

and this one here is supposed to be cheaper than the one above.

http://www.citytruckrentals.net/budgettruckrentals.html

another one here

https://www.budgettruck.com/Truck.aspx

I typed some numbers in just to get an idea. About 100 quid each + petrol

I think this one is on one of the other links above. You may have already tried these but I did a search with moving house from Chicago to LA. I think a 10 footer is probably about right. Imagine 14 peoples luggage, one broken down scooter, petrol cans extra passenger. By the way I haven't a clue what a transit vans length is !! :D cheers, nick

Oh yeah?

Imagine 107 degrees F, no tree cover or shade of any sort, luggage for 14 people, 4 broken down Lambrettas and a 10 foot panel van is going to be woefully inadequate.

Paul, I read in a review that this company give one way rentals to the west coast

http://elitetruckrental.com/size.html

and this one here is supposed to be cheaper than the one above.

http://www.citytruckrentals.net/budgettruckrentals.html

another one here

https://www.budgettruck.com/Truck.aspx

I typed some numbers in just to get an idea. About 100 quid each + petrol

I think this one is on one of the other links above. You may have already tried these but I did a search with moving house from Chicago to LA. I think a 10 footer is probably about right. Imagine 14 peoples luggage, one broken down scooter, petrol cans extra passenger. By the way I haven't a clue what a transit vans length is !! :D cheers, nick

Nick,

I have tried Budget, if you go through the whole process on line you eventually find out that everyone of their places in Chicago doesn't have a 10 foot Truck. If no one on here can help, I will try the others you have suggested, but at first glance I can't see where it mentions a one way trip.

Paul

Oh yeah?

Imagine 107 degrees F, no tree cover or shade of any sort, luggage for 14 people, 4 broken down Lambrettas and a 10 foot panel van is going to be woefully inadequate.

Can't wait, I hope it's going to be as warm as that, every time we go to Spain or South France it rains in biblical proportions and we have never had a back up vehicle :D .

Paul, I read on reviews that they do one ways.

upjettr, you've not met the Barnsley Vikings. In that heat they'd pull the scooters along with string tied to their teeth and a pint glass in each hand :D

It'll be me in the van.

My wife works for budget/Avis and lives in Windsor. UK.  drop her a call - PM me for her phone number in Windsor (mobile).  she may be able to sort you out, also she used to work for cruise america and they rent fun movers.  that's a motor home converted for hauling motorcycles in the back, but motor home in the front.  Kinda the mullet of recreation vehicles.  you can rent those one way and have a bathroom, beds, fridge, etc and still get bikes in the back! I've been thinking about doing this for Boston jammy...  I'm in phoenix, too bad its a so far to ride a lambretta up to flag or I would meet you there!  be prepared as the elevation in flagstaff is 7500 feet (phoenix is at around 1000) and my bike typically does not want to run up there without a re-jetting.  you'll climb from new mexico gradually into flagstaff and Williams.  weather will be nice up there next month too.  hit 90 already here today!  damn spring is over, boo!

• Upvote 1

When you are approaching Albuquerque let us know.. We will lay out the red carpet for you!

• Upvote 1

Well we have had our final meeting. I dropped my scooter off on Sunday ready to be picked up for it's container ride over to Chicago. The pick up happens Wednesday. All systems go...

Thanks for the red carpet offer :D We'd settle for a beer if we make it that far.

• Upvote 1

Takes a lot of balls and commitment to do what ya'll are planning.

Beer schmeer you all are having steaks at my house... Or would you rather have enchiladas ;-)

Maybe a little of both? Haha. You're gonna be hungry and windblown

Sounds like a rocking good time!   Shouldn't be terribly hot this early in the summer.   But do watch for road trash.  Old Route 66 isn't traveled in many parts much any more and the states that support those roads don't pay much attention, since they now have huge interstates to worry about. 

Maybe hit the Mid-Point Café in Adrian, Texas, just west of Amarillo, TX.  Google it and go to the YELP review page.  There's a red pickup you HAVE to sign with their white pen if you make it there - see the photos on Google or Yelp and you'll understand.  Plus, they have good pie!  If I can break away from Dallas, I'll ride with you boys from somewhere in OK to Amarillo, Texas.  I'll bring tools, mixed gas (100 octane aviation fuel, mixed) and a camera.  I'll either drive up my '63 TV175 in the back of my '66 Chevy C10 longbed pickup or will tow it behind my Subaru Outback. 

I've got IE 11 and having fits uploading a pic.    Not sure if you can see the following URL for my Lammy, but if you can, it's a pic of her.  Here comes:   "http://s96.photobucket.com/user/glenkitto/media/image01_zps1440ce30.jpg.html".   If it comes up with "users" in the middle, take out the "s".  Should have been just user.  Or, you can try "http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l182/glenkitto/Image01_zps1440ce30.jpg".  

Glen in Dallas

Hi Glen, nice scooter. The 175's are a pleasure to ride. Thanks for the advice on the roads. Tomorrow when I get more time (it's late over here as I write this)  I'll have a look at the café. You'd be welcome if you can make it to ride with us. We're gonna need all the help we can :D

El Prez, sounds like a plan. Just don't make the chilli's too hot :-)

Then you won't want his grilled pineapple habenero salsa  :blink:

My favorite at the ABQ Jammy but it is ferocious!

Hope to see you guys in ABQ or Flagstaff.

Scott