felipe

NYPD Lambretta Restoration Project

Hi,

I am trying to keep a post opened on the LCUSA forum with regards to a restoration project of an NYPD Lambretta Special by Lee Smith. Please feel to reach out if you need some information regarding the restoration. 

It took me a couple of years getting info on the Lambrettas imported for the NYPD. As you may already know, you can identify them by the unusual Vin # which goes past the VIN # we see for those models in those years. They were made during the italian factory strike and therefore made out of parts laying around. The Spanish version was imported later and painted the blue and white. I was able to obtain a lot of articles and images from the NYPD museum archives, plus things like the proper Spare Tire Holders and windshield from the son of a retired NYPD mechanic who used to fix them back then. The windshield is not difficult to reproduce. I was able to find all the parts needed to make it out of the pictures before I found the boxed original. The paint code I got from the NYPD shop. It's the same paint code used for their 1960's green police vehicles. The white is the original Lambretta paint code for the time. The night stick on the side I got from a New York antique store. Thankfully the mounting holes were still on the side panel when I got the bike. Let me know if you need any help with information or original pictures for your project. It'll be great to see it restored to its original days. I have scanned a lot of different articles with regards to the use of Lambrettas by the NYPD and some data which gives an accurate account of how many Lambrettas were imported each year throughout the 60's and 70's (by the NYPD).  

lambrettapics029.jpg

lambrettapics023.jpg

lambrettapics020.jpg

lambrettapics018.jpg

NorthHempstead-20130902-00413.jpg

NorthHempstead-20130902-00411.jpg

NorthHempstead-20130902-00410.jpg

Quite interesting! Is this a replica or was it an actual police scooter? I notice SX150 badging and front fender, but Li panels and horncast.

The green color was used on the Italian scooters. The first Servetas were all white, with later ones blue/white

nice.  I have a nice windscreen similar to that with the original clamps and hardware...bike looks great :)

thanks,

The shields I have on the bike came with the bike. it was a pain figuring out how to put them back. It does make sense considering it make with an SX motor. I bought the bike red, during the sanding, I found the green color. Then, trying to identify the color and the year, I came upon the motor's serial number which was that of an SX 150 and did not match the frame's number. Then the frame's numbers did not make much sense. I found two websites (Scooter's originalli was one I think) that mentioned the whole story about the NYPD bikes. It took me almost a year to gather information on the bike. The green color came from the NYPD shop in Queens, NY. The museum in Manhattan had a green 1960's police vehicle and, accordingly, the bikes came from Italy painted white and the shop sprayed the green paint. It was a pain getting them to release the paint code. They ended up painting a piece for me so I can bring it to a paint shop for reproduction.

Because of the way the bikes were put together, you'll find SX parts on. If you look at some of the articles, you'll see a variety of models being shipped. In  1964 they shipped none, 1965 they shipped 59, 1966 shipped 30, 1967 shipped 209, 1968 shipped 300, 1969 shipped none. Then the records go blank until you start seeing the shipment of the ones made in Spain after the relocation of the factory.

The labels I had to ask the shop and I was told back then they would use vinyl stickers they would glue on the bike. Using the pictures I had, I was able to reproduce the font and size, and print them out of waterproof vinyl with an UV Proof Clear layer on top.

These seem like the first Scooters used by the NYPD

lambrettapics003.jpg

lambrettapics004.jpg

Then in 1966 you can see this model already in use

lambrettapics006-2.jpg

I just think this is a pretty cool picture of the NYPD task force with a Lambretta right in the middle  of the action

lambrettapics015.jpg

lambrettapics016.jpg

Heading into work. I will download more articles tonight that may be cool to read. 

Most of the Lambrettas we've found have been Li 150 Frames, with VINs in the 743xxx range

The Innocenti factory was going through labor problems in the late 60s/early 70s so these scooters may have been built using whatever was available at the time, or, the NYPD mechanics were being supplied whatever spares were around to keep the scooters on the road, which might explain the random parts found throughout the fleet.

I found an Italian Li 150 Police scooter, with GP front fender, legshields, horncast and seat to compliment the usual black switches, plastic glovebox, etc..

Then in 1966 you can see this model already in use

lambrettapics006-2.jpg

Ohhhhhh - My eyes!!!

• Upvote 1

I am sorry that I have been so random at posting these articles. They should be in chronological, if not page by page, order. 

Hope you enjoy. Watching a movie which included a Lambretta or seeing pictures of a Lambretta being used on a day by day basis makes the whole experience that much better.

lambrettapics019.jpg

lambrettapics020-1.jpg

lambrettapics021-1.jpg

lambrettapics022-1.jpg

lambrettapics023-1.jpg

lambrettapics024-1.jpg

lambrettapics025.jpg

• Upvote 2

This is way cool!  I didn't know they had HD Toppers and Cushmans as well!  And that last picture, I remember those IH Scouts in the parks!

You're bringing me back to my childhood!

Any concerns about having "POLICE" on the panels??? I wonder if they (Local PD) would consider that "impersonation of a police vehicle" and ticket/tow the scoot if they decided to be @$$h0l3s.

Yes. A Detective asked me to bring it to the precint so locally it could be recognized. I did consider placing magnetic sheets over "POLICE" when I go out of town.

• Upvote 1

On 9/2/2013 at 10:33 PM, ScootersO said:

Quite interesting! Is this a replica or was it an actual police scooter? I notice SX150 badging and front fender, but Li panels and horncast.

The green color was used on the Italian scooters. The first Servetas were all white, with later ones blue/white

"The green color was used on the Italian scooters. The first Servetas were all white, with later ones blue/white"

Yes, there are certainly a mishmash of parts on these 'specials'

On 24/01/2017 at 11:53 AM, Mike Anhalt said:

Talk to Eric at 2nd ave scooters. He restored a spanish one last year.

Or me, who actually owns it :-)

IMG_0034.JPG

• Upvote 1