biminyrd

SIP Micro Dyno

Has anyone used or played around with the SIP Micro Dyno App?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pledlstefan.siphorsepowerdyno&hl=en

and

http://www.sip-scootershop.com/community/blogs/sip_team-blog_en/archive/2012/07/31/sip-horse-power-dyno-app.aspx

It looks like a great app to set bench marks and to aid in tuning/testing.

I tested the Free vesion and all looked good, but it doesn't give the results.  I purchased the app and the results (peak hp and torque) are not really in the ballpark I expected.  I'm sure it has to do with the calculated gear ratio, but I'm having a hard time figuring out what the problem is and what some of the ratio's are considering they are listed differently than most english language sites and books.

Anyway, anyone have any thoughts about it? success? failure?

The real test would be to do back to back against a real dyno.

I'm having a hard time with this sound measuring concept. Which type of phone, Distance, Angle, Air temp/humidity all affect sound waves. Intresting concept but unless its done in a controlled environment I can see how results would vary a lot.

There was something like this in an April issue of Scootering last year... YOu could download an app that would help you jet your carb...
It listened to the sound of your scooter and told you to upjet or downjet.

Of course... In the may issue the TRUTH came out.  April fools joke.

Now this app is posted on the SIP website, so it must be credible. $20 is not just spare change.

I hate posting this

http://modernV3$p@.com/forum/topic101980

but it has been discussed and the engineering settled at some Modern scooter site. uggghhh

the app has a very easy update for air temp humidity and pressure, it has been supposedly validated against a dyno.

ps. it only cost $6, but so far that's more than I'm getting out of it.  :huh:

• Upvote 1

I thought the audio portion of the App was only for counting the revs of the motor. I think it uses the GPS for distance change, the audio for RPM change and then with the mass data and such HP is calculated...

i often use this german scooter forum dyno tool for carburettor jetting sessions. i actually installed windows on my mac, JUST for this tool.

the "sip dyno app" is essentially the exact same thing, as a smartphone app. it's been built by german scooter forum geek "DAK". (i hope he finishes the iphone version soon!)

for me it gives best results to do the sound recording with my iphone inside my pocket (i use the recording app). i do the recordings in second gear, because in third gear the wind resistance becomes too important for an accurate dyno.

here is a comparison of my 2 exhaust pipes, the pipe design bullet (blue) and the tourist (red).

by the way, i'm selling the bullet pipe  ;)

RB22-bullet-tourist.jpg

• Upvote 2

Not meaning to be rude here Aaron or Marian, but there is no way in hell you can set up a motor dyno-wise without plugging sensors in here, there and everywhere and pulling through every gear. What you will up with is a biased reading which has the potential to do more harm than good.

I am attending a 41st anniversay at my local custom Harley shop(where I was employed for nearly two years) this afternoon. They build 200mph+ motors, top fuel motors, you name it and they use a dyno exclusively for that purpose. I will ask the owner of the business what his take on this phone dyno stuff is and give a report back tommorow, after the hangover has cleared.

Wonder how many 6$'s sip pulled in on that deal...

Not meaning to be rude here Aaron or Marian, but there is no way in hell you can set up a motor dyno-wise without plugging sensors in here, there and everywhere and pulling through every gear. What you will up with is a biased reading which has the potential to do more harm than good.

I am attending a 41st anniversay at my local custom Harley shop(where I was employed for nearly two years) this afternoon. They build 200mph+ motors, top fuel motors, you name it and they use a dyno exclusively for that purpose. I will ask the owner of the business what his take on this phone dyno stuff is and give a report back tommorow, after the hangover has cleared.

Wonder how many 6$'s sip pulled in on that deal...

I'm not going to force you to believe this: but it absolutely works fine for me (and everybody else on german scooter forum).

lets talk again when you tried it, until then everything you say is speculation.

Absolutely it's speculation.

That's why I will be asking a company that builds 60,000$+ motors for a living and dyno's them to make sure they are good for it's opinion ;)

Absolutely it's speculation.

That's why I will be asking a company that builds 60,000$+ motors for a living and dyno's them to make sure they are good for it's opinion ;)

don't get it wrong but: great idea, talk to more people who didn't try it out.. ask a blind man about colors..

but lets not argue around here, it would be nicer to see some diagrams!

Well, the party was a party, not too much shop talk. Will do that in the next day or three.

What kind of diagrams are you looking for?

Ask someone who is trying to sell something and they will give any answer they can to sell it...

As Grumpy originally mentioned, someone needs to compare what the app reads in relation to a dyno of the same bike. My guess/speculation is that although this app is probably not 100% accurate, it likely can provide a good "ballpark" on where the engine is. Certainly useful to those that do not have access to a Dyno. Which is like 99.9% of us.

Thanks for your thoughts.  I agree, that this may not be the same as an actual dyno.  I have been getting some numbers that are inconsistent and not where I expected them to be, and after working through some of the settings I seem to get some results that make sense.  

I posted a few of my results below that are 3rd gear runs on the same stretch of road.  The 1st is the difference between my set up (Series 2, Hot Rod Al 175, 46x16t, PHBL 26, BGM high flow filter in swiss cheese airbox) with a KBA and with a Piston Ported Boomstick DS.  It shows a gain in power, torque, & rpms/top speed. The 2nd result comparison is between using a 125 main and a 122 main.  It shows that I lost some significant power and torque but not top speed.  the 3rd chart shows the outlier run, with a much higher power and torque reading, and how the curve is different.  For that run I had an airleak from the exhaust stub, and I needed to grind it down so it would fully seal.

I haven't made multiple runs in each jet yet to get an average, and have recorded a run that had a much higher reading but the curve looked different on one of my early runs without the exhaust stub fully seated and leaking.  

I guess the main concept, if consistent results can be recorded, is that one can work on tuning their whip with a method beside just using a plug chop or the seat of the pants, by seeing distinct and repeatable results and changes. It would be nice to know what setting are accurate and as many of us are isolated from other scooters much less an actual dyno, I think there is still some value.  

Sorry for the huge pictures.   

Screenshot_2013-10-09-21-07-52.png

Blue:
7.94 PS @ 6679 RPM;6.26 ft-lbs @6367 RPM
/storage/sdcard0/SIPHorsePowerDyno/RESULTS/li 175 125 main no air leak boomstick.ps
Weight in kg: 220.0
Temperature in °C: 18
Air Pressure in mbar: 1022.0
Area squaremeter: 0.75
Cw-Value: 0.5
Max Speed: 83.9 km/h @ 7357.0 RPM
Overall Gear Ratio 5.258427

White:
5.74 PS @ 5471 RPM;5.54 ft-lbs @5288 RPM
/storage/sdcard0/SIPHorsePowerDyno/RESULTS/li175 125 main kba.ps
Temperature in °C: 26
Air Pressure in mbar: 1019.0
Max Speed: 78.8 km/h @ 6910.0 RPM

Screenshot_2013-10-09-21-07-14.png

White:
6.82 PS @ 6233 RPM;5.67 ft-lbs @6220 RPM
/storage/sdcard0/SIPHorsePowerDyno/RESULTS/li175 boomstick 122 main.ps
Temperature in °C: 20
Air Pressure in mbar: 1021.0
Max Speed: 84.0 km/h @ 7367.0 RPM

Blue:
7.94 PS @ 6679 RPM;6.26 ft-lbs @6367 RPM
/storage/sdcard0/SIPHorsePowerDyno/RESULTS/li 175 125 main no air leak boomstick.ps
Temperature in °C: 18
Air Pressure in mbar: 1022.0
Max Speed: 83.9 km/h @ 7357.0 RPM

Screenshot_2013-10-09-21-05-23.png

9.7 PS @ 6243 RPM;8.37 ft-lbs @5768 RPM
/storage/sdcard0/SIPHorsePowerDyno/RESULTS/li175 3rd 125main boomstick.ps
Temperature in °C: 27
Air Pressure in mbar: 1019.0
Max Speed: 83.2 km/h @ 7297.0 RPM

i think you make a good point, when you say that this software is meant to be helpful, for everybody who does not have access to a real dynojet AKA all of us. nobody claims that the final number of horses is absolutely correct, BUT with the right values, there's a tendency to get really good results.

when i'm working on my jettings, this program is definitely more accurate than my ass.

on german scooter forum these values seemed to establish themselves as "close to reality":

CW: 0,8

Area Squaremeter: 0,75

2nd gear is the best choice, cause the wind doesn't play a very strong role yet.

• Upvote 1