mmaleh

Starting issues Li 150

My series 3 Li150 is driving me nuts.  

Has a new top end, crank shaft seals etc.  Drove yesterday like a dream. Today I went to start it up no go.   I am getting spark.  Fuel has been a constant 1:32. Using a 7 spark plug.  

Thought after all this work I was over this. Also to note it is an original 6volt system. 

Choke is stuck open, or possibly float leaking or stuck..

are you using fuel with ethanol

in it?  DON’T!

https://www.pure-gas.org/

Also... what kind of compression have you got? You say new top end... was a leak down rear done when put together?

Perfect compression and a leak down was done. 

Good old American unleaded gas

With Dell'Orto or repro floats in SH1 and SH2s I've found that it it can either be ethanol induced swelling which causes the float to catch the edge of the bowl, or poor manufacturing tolerances, which causes the float to catch on the pin. Based on my own experience, the repro 'ethanol safe' floats are more likely to hang up on the float pin. This is hard to diagnose because it happens intermittently and testing the float swing and fuel shut off with your fingers is not ideal. Thankfully, running a drill bit through the float pin hole will cure it. Good luck.. and don't forget to check your choke too.

Jealous of anyone that has a Lambretta in that part of Vermont---or any vintage 2 stroke really. The roads and scenery are fantastic. One vote for LJ 2024 in Vermont (or Maine).  

• Upvote 2

Going to check the float and choke today. Will take some pix too. 

Yeah I also have a Harley Davidson m65 Leggero. It's great riding up here.  Great roads, never too warm and the mountain scenery. 

I actually know 3 places that would probably host us.  One in Manchester they used to do huge car shows, Stratton Mountain does events like this and their a town owned field for state fairs called Bondville Fair. 

• Upvote 1

Possible I am getting too much fuel in there. Tried this AM and plug was wet after a few kicks.  I did make sure to turn fuel off last night.  Took off air filter to look inside carb and seemed wet in there too.   What is confusing about this though is I drove her 3 miles 2 days ago no issues at all. 

IMG_20200604_075905.jpg

Its probably your float. Let it dry out, turn the fuel tap on and inspect without kicking it over. 

So let it dry and opened up tap. Fuel did not seem to "spill" down.   Choke seems to be functioning. Can open and close. Below is in the open position. Sorry kinda blurry on the choke side. 

IMG_20200604_111024.jpg

When original and repro SH’s are running well they’re nice and simple - and once you get them started they will run strong.  But once they get ‘tired’ it really takes away from the enjoyment of these great motos.  I switched to modern Dell PHBL’s with a solid intake manifold (no rubber mount) about 10 years ago and have never looked back.

Would be great if you get it resolved so you can enjoy what’s left of Spring.  Summer heat can also play havoc on a sketchy carb.

09594778-49C8-4313-84FB-C6C46C790F98.jpeg

The modern Dell’s make main jet changes a snap too, and really comes in handy here in the Rockies with frequent altitude changes.

Time to swap stuff. Change the float just to be sure.

And you should really consider an upgrade to electronic ignition while you are at it, if reliability is what you are after.

• Upvote 2

Let the motor dry out over night - carb open, plug out, fuel off and am going to put a new plug in today.  Was told by the folks at Scooter Speed about a particular shut down sequence on the stock models that I did not know about.  Basically shut the fuel off and don't hit kill switch to prevent fuel from sitting in float or flooding cylinder.  Let's see if this helps!  If not will replace float. 

I tend to agree on the 12 volt upgrade.  Any suggestions as to which kit for an all stock motor? 

I’ll hook you up with a working bgm stator and flywheel I just pulled off. DM me.

Update. 

Let it dry out over night.  New plug and still no go. I got a few put puts firing but could not get to idle.  GGGGRRRRRRRR

Pull the plug out and Hold the ceramic part of your spark plug and kick it over. You might have a weak/missing spark and it’s easier to tell if you feel it. 

Don't  forget to ground the metal part.