Hello.  I'm looking for advice.  

I have a LI125 III.  I have a new (2018) Varitronic Ignition.  I'm confused as to how to wire this up.  My kit came with a wiring diagram printed on the back of the cardboard packaging.  I also have a diagram which is printed on paper.  The two diagrams are not completely the same.  And these instructions are translated poorly which adds to my confusion.

My main point of confusion has to do with the single wire that goes to terminal #1 on the coil.  I need to know what color that wire needs to be.

I have 4 wires coming from my electronic ignition. BLUE, YELLOW, RED & RED/WHITE.

4-wires.thumb.jpg.acb747a5a5539a606a282ece0eaa169e.jpg

In the diagram printed on the back of the packaging, they list wire 1 as RED/BLACK.  (Note: This diagram also lists wire 4 as RED/WHITE)

card-rewiring-varitronic.thumb.jpg.2271bf5b6d4b61722520a2ed92bc4c5b.jpg

In the diagram printed on the piece of paper (found in the kit) wire 1 is listed as RED [thee BLACK is crossed out].  Wire 4 is listed as WHITE [red is crossed out]

paper-rewiring-varitronic.thumb.jpg.59a8db35dd34d19a1a90acc80372f63c.jpg

This is what I have so far...

which-wire.JPG.f614dfedb0dd8d1ed450663826e86172.JPG

The old electrical harness in the grey tube contains a PINK, VIOLET, BROWN and twin GREENS.  I see that the wiring diagram states that the twin GREENS are not used.  PINK, VIOLET & BROWN go to terminal 3 in conjunction with the YELLOW wire from the new electronic ignition harness.

Its clear that the BLUE wire from the new harness goes to GROUND and also connects to terminal 2 on the regulator and terminal on the coil.

I don't have a battery so I don't need to worry about terminal 4 or B+.

So that leaves me with two wires that must go to terminal 1 on the coil.  But which one??  

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you

Peek thru the window in the flywheel and see which wire is connected where on the stator. I would bet that the solid red goes to the little black (typically) pick up box and the red/white will go to a large copper wound coil. Betting aside, whichever wire is connected to the little black box goes to the spark coil (terminal 1 in these images). The wire that goes to the large copper coil on the stator is the power for DC.

Your kill switch/ignition switch on/off should come from the green wire in the main harness, that is the wire that wants to go to coil terminal 1 so you can turn the motor off.

• Like 1

white/red is for the battery. Just tape it off if you're not running DC .

the rest of it looks correct.

Blue = ground

Yellow = lights

Red = Ignition +

• Like 1

Mike, see the "Not Used" on the greens...? That needs to be connected for the kill function. I am guessing you mean just the stator wiring when you say rest looks correct...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TRs said:

Mike, see the "Not Used" on the greens...? That needs to be connected for the kill function. I am guessing you mean just the stator wiring when you say rest looks correct...

Not sure what you mean about the greens. Those 2 on the left side of the picture just common together so you can tie the kill switch from the headset to the coil on a standard/stock loom (IGNITION +). 

Red, common with the single green from your loom, goes to terminal 1 (IGNITION +)

• Like 1

I have only seen a couple of stock harnesses, and there is a good chance those were messed with at some point, but looking at the drawn diagram, I am thinking that one of the greens in the main harness is the green that goes to the headset and the kill or ignition switch...

And now rethinking it, the other green is probably the other end of the green in the loom by itself. So, they are used and just need to be connected together so that the single wire functions.

• Like 1

there is only 1 green wire from the kill switch to the ignition coil. If you put a meter on the ends it will read 0 ohms as if it were a single piece of wire (which it is). The double green is just a break out point along that wire.

don't overthink it

• Like 1

ha! On my old TV it was separate wires which joined in the junction box. Probably a modification someone had done at some point...

• Like 1

Hello fellas.  Mike is correct in this instance.  The single green wire I have drawn all on its own, is the kills switch wire.  I check continuity and it is a direct link.  So I'm sure that this wire connects to terminal 1 on the coil.  The twin green wires in the main harness?? i have no clue what they are.

I'll follow Mikes suggestion and run the solid red to terminal 1 on the coil.  The rest all makes since.

Thank you both for taking the time to read this and offering your feed back. I really appreciate it.  Without you both, I'd be stuck fearing that I'd Smoke the regulator.

Please stay healthy and I wish you and your families are blessed with good health while we deal with this Covid-19 outbreak. I hope to meet you both some day, we'll enjoy a pint (or several). Cheers.

• Like 1

Hey!! ,just wanted to let you know that I've finished cutting & splicing my harness.  Its all hooked up.  Thank you for helping.  

And I wish all of you and your families the best of luck & health during this COVID-19 outbreak.  Take care, all of you.

keep-strong.jpg.828c41358d9a77137a690e993dbad1c0.jpg

Roger, where did you get this Varitronic from? If it was me, you could have contacted me at lambrettaconcessionaires.com I am the USA distributor for Tino's product.