baconman

LI 125 engine case repair ideas??

Rebuilding my first Lambretta.  Took apart engine this weekend and found some damage near the crankshaft.  Any ideas if this is repairable and how to do so?

LI 125.jpg

I’m a welder, and I would have to say no. It is way too contaminated with oil, and it is just a lip that is broke off. Fixing a crack is one thing...a lip or a flange is another. I would think that trying to find a case would be easier and cheaper. Just my thoughts.

that's not really damage.

The serveta cases have that super thin lip removed and I've taken out more than I can remember. The metal there is wafer thin and usually cracked. All the actual sealing comes from the rubber seal and the gasket that sits between the bearing and that seal. When I get a chance I'll post a photo of a Serveta block I'm working on and you'll see exactly what I mean.

I think I saw that on a few photos from google, where that area was missing, but looked professionally done instead of accidentally.  So, you think it would be ok to use as is?  Thank you Mike and Spj for your help with this!  I greatly appreciate the comments and help.

21 hours ago, baconman said:

I think I saw that on a few photos from google, where that area was missing, but looked professionally done instead of accidentally.  So, you think it would be ok to use as is?  Thank you Mike and Spj for your help with this!  I greatly appreciate the comments and help.

I usually clean them up with a hand file so there's no chance of a stray piece of metal breaking loose.

Since you're rebuilding the motor, get in there and make it look good.