Spj

EGT guage

New to the forum. I did go back about 5 pages worth of threads looking for info on a good EGT guage for my scooter. ANY info on a a EGT guage would be appreciated. Good or bad. Thanks spj

Not really sure what other people do, but I suspect since s.i.p. speedos have egt and c.h.t. gauge compatibility , that's what is most common. I have been using a westach 2 inch gauge for 15 to 20 years. I think if you have a tuned motor for touring or race, it is a must have, at least for set up. I prefer egt to cht. I can tell immediately what a change in carburation,  plugs, timing, compression and weather does. Westach egt gauge is what I use. You will have to buy a thermocouple as well. I suggest the 1 1/4 inch clamp on probe.  They do sell weld on sensor lugs that the thermocouple can be screwed into. They also sell a double 2 inch gauge for egt and cht.  Be sure you get a gauge that works in the correct heat range. 100 to 1900 works well. How and where you mount it is up to you. I modified a second headset top, so I can switch back to a stock look. I have seen people using modified under headset mirror mount brackets

www.westach.com

https://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/products/exhaust+gas+temperature+sensor+_5001egtj

Screenshot_20191201-133107_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20191201-133603_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20191201-133654_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20191202-103257_Gallery.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

My experience with the Westac EGT gauges is they are good quality, U.S. made, and don't require a power source beyond the K probe. Westach also will will make custom configurations, metric dials and AFR gauges (though I prefer digital for AFR gauges).

I've also had experience with Koso EGTs and while not as quality product as the Westach, and require a power source, the benefit is they're easier to read at glance (helpful at WOT), and can be programed to flash a warning light at designated temperatures.

My 2 cents, set up carb with a wideband AFR, remove and install EGT programed/marked with a redline of ~650°C (~1200°F for those still using archaic forms of measurement). I find that the top of a legshield spare is reasonable location to mount either a AFR or EGT gauge. 

Good luck! 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Stu aka S.Hanson #17 said:

I've never used an afr gauge but would be interested in details. What kind of number would be a good balance for air/fuel and where/how is the sensor mounted

The general consensus from everything I've read is that 12.5:1 is the ideal for WOT/main jet on a 2 stroke (FYI the stoichiometric ratio for a non-2 stroke gasoline engine is 14.7:1).  Probe should be approximately 300-400mm from the exhaust port, or in the 'belly' of the pipe if using an expansion. The probe is (a massive) M18 and needs to be mounted upright (~90°), so I remove the RHS rear footboard while dialing it in. If you want to go down a rabbit hole there is some good threads on the GSF and a bunch of peer-reviewed scientific papers floating around cyberspace.

• Upvote 2