As some of you will have seen on the club's FB Classified page recently, there was a 1974 Jet 200 put up for sale in the city of Whitehorse, Yukon Territory in Canada. I'm very happy to say that scoot now belongs to me and it has made the journey west ( and north just a little bit) and now lives in Alaska.gsaDZV5.jpg?1

Getting it thru Customs went fairly quickly, despite a bit of a rocky start when the Customs official didn't like the "incomplete" VIN, as it wasn't 17 digits long, and he was sure that meant it wouldn't comply with the DoT and EPA standards.  He didn't look too convinced by my statement that the scoot was exempt due to its age, but as I handed over the necessary paperwork, he mellowed and after inspecting the Jet, he became a very pleasant chap to deal with.  And, he never charged me any import duty either. 
Here's a couple of pics from the journey home.5eNfkpa.jpg?1

3yQwnxR.jpg?1xihFWry.jpg?1

The Jet has covered a total of 77 miles from new, was last registered in 1991, and has been sitting under covers for most of it's life.  Every time I touched any of the rubber pieces, they pretty much disintegrated into pieces in my hands. But the body is solid with only a few scrapes and bare spots and I'm looking forward to stripping it down and bringing it back to life.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Safely in the garage, while I sort out my plan of attack.

gekR2fG.jpg?1

• Like 2

I have a twin jet! Keep it original and enjoy it!

Just remembered that Alaska has a 30 day titling requirement for vehicles, so I headed off to the DMV this afternoon.  ( I went for the first time on Wednesday, but didn't take the Lammy with me, so had to go back today)
Handed over my Customs Import paperwork and Bill of Sale and the very nice lady said, let's go check the VIN.  Went back outside showed her the scoot strapped to the back of the Jeep and where the VIN is stamped on the frame tube. Oh she says, that's so small I can't read that, just you read it out  me !

5 minutes later, I am walking out of the DMV with my new title and $15 less well off.

• Upvote 2

nice!

I know it sat a long time and needs a rebuild, so the million dollar question: does it run?

Oddly, I never expected it to end up in Alaska, but make perfect sense. I actually got a shipping quote to Vancouver for about $450, but I couldn't determine if it was a "runner" or not. Nice score!

On 7/8/2019 at 10:57 AM, BrooklynPete said:

Nice!!!  Love those Jet 200's 

Looks great, What are your plans? 

The intended plan changes week by week. It varies from the Q-ship style, ( all go and no show) , just a regular everyday usable machine, a full strip down rebuild , repaint etc or a full on custom paint job with engraving. It might end up as 70s scooterboy machine, flipflop backrest, bubble screen and a furry seat  :)

First step is getting it back in a running condition, then I'll see.   

On 7/8/2019 at 8:51 PM, Joe Barthlow said:

nice!

I know it sat a long time and needs a rebuild, so the million dollar question: does it run?

Oddly, I never expected it to end up in Alaska, but make perfect sense. I actually got a shipping quote to Vancouver for about $450, but I couldn't determine if it was a "runner" or not. Nice score!

I've seen a video of it running when they changed out the original fuel tank.  The actual tank is pretty gunked up and I'm going to send it off to be cleaned inside and coated, so till I get that back I won't know.

The thing I like most about it so far,  it makes me smile every time I walk in my garage.

Do not coat the tank with anything.  Just dont. 

Please don't paint it.  If you want a scooter with different paint sell this original paint scooter off PLEASE.  

I beg you not to touch the paint.  You will devalue the scooter. 

I will happily send you another scooter in need of paint if you want to get something in a different colour.  

• Upvote 2

On 7/5/2019 at 10:15 PM, PeteAK said:

5 minutes later, I am walking out of the DMV with my new title and $15 less well off.

if only it were so affordable here in California...scoots that I have had for 20 years are now $125+ per year.....