Steve S

RT 195 vs SS 200

Looking to upgrade my Casa 185 kit. I find myself always wanting more, but don't want to completely give up reliability.  Would love to hear any reviews from people running the RT 195 and SS 200 kits. Thanks, Steve. 

I think now the question of reliability comes down to how it's built and maintained.  Like with all kit upgrades,  all othere parts in the motor may need to be upgraded as well. Because an ss200 was designed for racing, it is more likely to need specific upgraded parts because of the higher power output and and a lot more skill to set up correctly. With the rt, you may be able to use some parts you currently have, it's made to be  easy assembly and was designed for touring.

The rt I have has a reedvalve, boost port and a longstroke crank so I can't really comment on how a stock kit runs. Mine pulls really well. Starts and idles great. Is good on fuel. I run a 30mm mikuni tmx and expansion chamber.  It's stronger than a stock 200. More like an Imola. At least how I remember an imola. The quality of the kit is really nice. My case was matched to the kit. Easy assembly. Easily cruises with modern traffic. City or higher speed roads. Fun. As I understand it, as a bolt on, the rt is on par with the gt 186, mugelo and imola. The next step up in performance woul be the rb 20, casa ss200 and quatrini 210. Just for full disclosure,  I'm upgrading to an rb20....

Here is one of many links to the topic that was discussed before. 

20181021_151724.jpg

21 hours ago, Stu aka S.Hanson #17 said:

I think now the question of reliability comes down to how it's built and maintained.  Like with all kit upgrades,  all othere parts in the motor may need to be upgraded as well. Because an ss200 was designed for racing, it is more likely to need specific upgraded parts because of the higher power output and and a lot more skill to set up correctly. With the rt, you may be able to use some parts you currently have, it's made to be  easy assembly and was designed for touring.

The rt I have has a reedvalve, boost port and a longstroke crank so I can't really comment on how a stock kit runs. Mine pulls really well. Starts and idles great. Is good on fuel. I run a 30mm mikuni tmx and expansion chamber.  It's stronger than a stock 200. More like an Imola. At least how I remember an imola. The quality of the kit is really nice. My case was matched to the kit. Easy assembly. Easily cruises with modern traffic. City or higher speed roads. Fun. As I understand it, as a bolt on, the rt is on par with the gt 186, mugelo and imola. The next step up in performance woul be the rb 20, casa ss200 and quatrini 210. Just for full disclosure,  I'm upgrading to an rb20....

Here is one of many links to the topic that was discussed before. 

20181021_151724.jpg

Thanks for the info and your input, I have heard nothing but good things about the rt kit. Why are you making the change to the rb20? And did you do any research on the rb20 vs ss200?

On 10/21/2018 at 12:58 PM, Steve S said:

Looking to upgrade my Casa 185 kit. I find myself always wanting more, but don't want to completely give up reliability.  Would love to hear any reviews from people running the RT 195 and SS 200 kits. Thanks, Steve. 

I have a Casa and a RT195. The RT smokes the casa BUT it's had some extra work done on the system. Apart from that they both run the Dellorto 24 and have big bore exhausts.

What is your casa set up like? Carb, pipe, gearing? All of these variables can make a huge difference in the end.

i'd think it would a lot cheaper to tune the casa than to replace it.

Honestly, I got a price on the rb that was way to good to pass up. I was going to hold out till I could afford the quatrini 210. I think the rb will be more of a challenge to set up with a longstroke crank. The ss200 looks pretty straight forward if you use casa parts and follow there build formula. I have had no experience with the ss200 or the quatrini 210 nor have I seen them in person. 

As Mike said it might be less expensive to tune or try different things like a light flywheel and different gearing. On the flip side, in the past, when I've had a kit that wasn't fast enough and started to put money into a tune bigger carb and an expansion chamber, it never seemed enough.

I would like to elaborate on the description of the rt performance.  The torque is pretty feirce from way down rpms and holds the power very well up the rev range. It drops off pretty high up the rev range , but by that time you are more than ready to change gears. It's like that in every gear.  My gearing is 46/15, a.f. rayspeed close ratio box, mec eur mid weight flywheel. 30mm mikuni,  jl 4 ( it's what I had to use)

Any ss200 owners on here? I'm interested to hear.

I have both. It’s not clear what the OP is looking for, the Ss200 is like a full race kit and the RT is much more torquey in the lower revs like Stu said. The ss200 is fun AF, and not really comparable to an rt kit. 

On 10/22/2018 at 6:58 PM, Mike Anhalt said:

I have a Casa and a RT195. The RT smokes the casa BUT it's had some extra work done on the system. Apart from that they both run the Dellorto 24 and have big bore exhausts.

What is your casa set up like? Carb, pipe, gearing? All of these variables can make a huge difference in the end.

i'd think it would a lot cheaper to tune the casa than to replace it.

Running a PHBL 24. I believe a casa clubman and stock 150 gears. It has been so reliable since I bought it, engine was built by Jon at Jet 200, and I haven't had to do anything to the scoot other than some suspension upgrades. 

Not sure tuning will get me where I want to be and worried the RT 195 won't be a big enough jump. Concerns with the SS 200 are I haven't heard much about the kit and how it rides. 

On 10/27/2018 at 9:49 PM, Mike Anhalt said:

I can get a GPS’d 71mph out of my rt195

How fast do you want to go? 

Sorry about the delayed response,  work and life has been a bit hectic. 

Currently getting about 55 mph, maybe 60 wot in the city dropping to about 40 in the foothills. Would like to be able to do that with some throttle in reserve and not having to run wot.