Joe Barthlow

Scootopia v Casa stock S3 exhausts

I'm looking for opinions on the Scootopia vs. Casa stock exhausts for the series 3.

Info like quality, performance and fit. How do they stack up to original Innocenti exhausts?

I'm not interested in hearing about clubman or big bore exhausts. 

thanks

Casa exhaust was a very poor fit on a stock LI125. That's not to say they haven't fixed that problem but I don't know.

Everyone I know that has used the Scootopia stock exhaust has been very happy with the fit and performance. 

• Like 1

This is my favorite inexpensive exhaust Joe:

http://jet200.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=735

Been running one for over 5 years on my Special.  Only broke the tailpipe clamp - replaced that with a BGM clamp.

I plan on replacing the current exhaust on my other mostly stock S3 with the same DL/SX can.  Note that you need to order a U bend separate.

But of course it’s all what you like with exhausts, and oil, and tires...

My $0.02, and barely worth that ?

• Like 1

I’ve installed the Scootopia big bore on Jason’s bike joe.  Held up nice for 2 years.  Also, installed a few tutto stock mushroom tip exhausts which are real nice.  Haven’t heard or tried the new Scootopia stock pipe.  

Also, I’ve fitted the gp exhaust by Casa on a Li and it fit great and sounds great and gave a little more performance.  I’ve got videos on my YouTube account of a few different exhausts.  

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Mike Anhalt said:

http://www.tuttolambretta.it/galleria.asp?idtyp=3&idgal=6&idphoto=66&pag=1

there isn't much to them. A lot of back pressure and some sound batting.

Thanks Mike. I saw this on the Tutto site. This shows the mushroom. I'm getting conflicting information from Scootopia regarding their baffles/mushroom. I don't know what Casa is inside though I do know their Ancillotti is a straight pipe and expansion chamber, which is not right for my stock setup.  

I thought I was coming to a conclusion when I see Tutto's partner is Scootopia, but apparently not for exhausts as Scootopia states their S3 stock exhausts are based on the late SX design which have no baffles/mushroom.

If you still have the old stock exhaust just shine a light in the intake side of it. You'll see the mushroom pretty easily.

For your bike you'll want the one with a mushroom but with out the bottom mounting bracket.

I read somewhere that there was something like 5 or more exhaust types just for the S3/GP range.

• Like 1

On 9/14/2018 at 4:38 PM, Mike Anhalt said:

If you still have the old stock exhaust just shine a light in the intake side of it. You'll see the mushroom pretty easily.

For your bike you'll want the one with a mushroom but with out the bottom mounting bracket.

I read somewhere that there was something like 5 or more exhaust types just for the S3/GP range.

I did. it's there. So far I have learned that both Scootopia and Casa stock pipes have no baffle, just wide open expansion chambers. I got my original welded up and will run it until I can afford the Tutto exhaust in a couple months.

5 hours ago, Joe Barthlow said:

I did. it's there. So far I have learned that both Scootopia and Casa stock pipes have no baffle, just wide open expansion chambers. I got my original welded up and will run it until I can afford the Tutto exhaust in a couple months.

It’s weird how much of a difference that extra back pressure makes on a stock motor. I think people forget that there was some actual planning going in to these things.

I'm a huge fan of the Tutto Lambretta stock exhausts and have them fitted to 2 different engines. IMHO they're the next best thing to a NOS exhaust, and many people would be hard pressed to tell the difference. Casa make some decent parts, but standard exhausts are not one of them. The last Casa exhaust I purchased was so dire I personally returned it to Vittorio for a refund. I'll try to dig up some photos I took of a Casa side-by-side with a Tutto, the difference in quality is shocking, particularly given that the retail price between the two is comparable. 

I've not yet seen the Scootopia exhausts yet, but I've had a 'proper anorak' friend visiting from London this week, who occasionally road tests pre-production parts for Scootopia, and he said they were decent. Speaking of Scootopia, back when they were a Casa main agent ever notice they never stocked the Casa exhausts, but the Tutto ones? To me this speaks volumes.

If you purchase parts from Tutto, I find its best to order direct via phone (speak to Cinza). Alternatively, you can purchase online from STF. 

Regarding the 'mushroom baffle' this changed throughout production. For example, the inlet holes in 'mushroom' were bigger on the TV/2 exhaust than the LI/2 exhaust and obviously it was abandoned for late SX and dl/GP.  

Personally, if it was my build, I'd purchase a Tutto S3 exhaust, dry build, and then follow recommendations in the '60s Performance and Tuning Conversion Manual and drill the out the mushroom with a 13mm bit, before cleaning and sending off to be ceramic coated with Cerakote. In the past I've also had success removing tailpipes and re-welding them on, but given the Scootopia S3 'clover' ones are built to late SX/dl/GP spec there is no need to do anymore. 

• Like 1

On 9/20/2018 at 9:18 PM, Mike Anhalt said:

It’s weird how much of a difference that extra back pressure makes on a stock motor. I think people forget that there was some actual planning going in to these things.

Agreed! Did you read the most recent Clubman dyno test series in Scootering, Mike? It was over several issues early-mid last year and it dyno tested approximately 15 Clubmans. The conclusion was:

"I have my favorites, and of course the number 1 is the standard exhaust! Not one aftermarket exhaust (Clubman) matched the power up to 5,000rpm and that will suit a very large percentage of riders..." 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Scootering had a pretty good cartoon about that years ago. It showed the guys in the lab devolving the perfect stock exhaust with it achieving great power and economy. Only to be pulled off right away when the bike makes it to it’s new owner for something loud. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, vegansydney said:

the '60s Performance and Tuning Conversion Manual

what is this manual you speak of?

thanks