Bernard

Want to buy a 1972 Jet 200

On Thursday morning I'll be heading down to the southern part of SoCal to look at -- and hopefully buy -- a 1972 Jet 200. The bike has been owned by the second owner for the past 25 years (1988). It's a California blue license plate bike (super important to me, personally), and the last sticker on the plate is from 1995.

The mileage is 995. The bike is all original save for consumables (tires, battery, fluids) and the Ochre factory paint is beautifully preserved. Even the ugly turns signals are still mounted. According to the owner, everything is working as it should and the bike is ready to ride. He's asking $3K but I'll try to get it a bit cheaper.

My questions is: what would be a fair price for that bike? I am not trying to steal it, I just don't want to overpay either, so I'd like to have an idea about a fair market value.

Unfortunately, I can't upload a photo to the Web from my netbook here. It's a nice bike, looks really like it needs nothing.

He's 72 years old and ready to sell. However, he owns a construction company and he's not hurting for cash. Don't have the frame and engine number, but why is it not a 1972?

Not really. He mentioned that the handlebar was damaged once when the bike fell over and repaired. That's all I know. Haven't seen it yet. What did I miss?

According to this information, all of those bikes were Ochre and all the other markers are correct for a 1971 to 1974 bike as well.

http://scooterpromo.com/customer/scomo/vin_serveta.html

I made him an offer a couple weeks ago. I then heard thru a reputable source that the headset had severe damage at one point so I dropped it. Kinda weird cause the offer I made was the same as your post.

I noticed you call it a handle bar. It sounds as if you havn't been around these long. So if your serious about the bike I would research the replacement on the headset cause from the sound of the seller he's not well informed on lambrettas as well.

all the other markers are correct for a 1971 to 1974 bike as well.

If it were a 72 it would be worth much more. It would have floor runners, li perches and sx panels and maybe disc brake.

Jimmy,

thanks for the warning. I'm a lousy mechanic for sure, but I've been around bikes long enough to recognize if there's a problem with the head set. If I don't feel totally convinced that the bike is healthy, I'll walk away and wait for a better one to come around. Either way I will post here on Thursday about my findings and if I pass, somebody with more mechanical talents is welcome to grab it at a discount.

Regarding the disk brake, I'm afraid you are mistaken. While it's not known when exactly the Spaniards ran out of disk brakes, it was according to most sources "during" 1972.

Regarding the disk brake, I'm afraid you are mistaken.

Im not but that's okay. I don't really care. The first jets were sx's rebadged. The Spaniards started making changes in or around 71' 72'. It didn't happen over night.

Bottom line is that that bike is not a 72!

Maybe 76'

What I find interesting is that Bernard doesn't even extend a 'thank you' for knocking the price down.

I mean old dude c-listed for 4k, I follow up with 3k 2 days later, then 2 weeks later Bernard dude post here that hes getting it for 3k.

I should go down there and swoop it for 32 and say f--- it.

It is later that a 72.

72 would have a chrome ring under the heastet, and the horn cast badge would be Eibar.
The innards would be red or orche, and the panels would be Sx style with handles.

I can tell you the age by the vin.
I have a database I have created.

The headset is from a later 79 -80 era.
It may have been replaced if there was damages as you had mentioned.

The scooter is proabbaoy about a 76-77.

I asked teh seller to send me the VIN about a week ago. No replies to my message.

If you can get it for $2000 JUMP ON IT!

Jimmyb,

I owe you nothing for knocking any price down. In fact, I didn't even know that the bike was on Craigslist until you responded to my post, nor did I know that any of you ever had contact with the seller. I saw the bike on eBay, where it was at auction for $3K for an entire week and nobody placed a single bid. In fact, I was the only person who even asked the seller any questions.

More to the point, I didn't even know that the bike was on eBay until the day the auction ended, but Paul, the man behind Scooterlounge, contacted me and pointed the bike out to me as he knows I'm in the market for a 200. Had I known about it earlier, I would have driven down to Orange County and check the bike out before the auction ended.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181284550701?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

All I did here is ask a question about the value of a Jet 200. I'm grateful for all responses and the advice I receive here, but, Jimmy, don't tell me that I should have thanked you for knocking the price down. You make it sound like I waited behind the corner 'til you left the seller unsuccessfully and then jumped out into the open and bought the bike a minute later. That's just not the case.

I will have a look at the bike tomorrow morning, and I will check the frame and engine numbers to see what the exact year of manufacture is. If I feel that the bike is what I want, I'll try to buy it for slightly below $3K. If I have a bad feeling about the headset or anything else, I'll walk away and post this here immediately upon my return so that anybody else can try their luck. I don't expect any of you then to thank me for knocking the price further down.

Lambrettayeroc,

there's no way that he'll sell the scooter for even close to $2K. I know he'll take $3K, perhaps I can get it a couple hundred dollars cheaper by pointing out adverse facts such as the headset or incorrect year, but there's a fine line between trying to buy something for a reasonably low price and insulting the seller so that he kicks the prospective buyer out. But, again, I'm only interested in a scooter that has no issues.

Merry Christmas, everyone!

• Upvote 1

quote: I'm only interested in a scooter that has no issues: end quote

Good luck!

Its more to the point that you said it was 72 and I said it was not.......then you got a tude.

I was trying to help....but it seems you need none.

Look at the bright side, if you get we'l be twins....ha

I would research the replacement on the headset cause from the sound of the seller he's not well informed on lambrettas as well.

I've got 4 late-Jet headsets. 4! And no one can have any of them!

(unless there is a finders fee involved)

It could be a 74 or 75 as it's got the skinny dampers on it. Their is a chance the perches have been swapped to a later type with space shuttle perches for some reason. It could also be an early late model with space shuttle switches and skinny dampers.

Obviously Jimmy is now a Spanish lambretta expert since he just bought one a few weeks ago; whatever though.

I hope it's a riotous machine Bernard, as all fine Spanish machines deserve such a life.

Merry Christmas!

• Upvote 1

Im not trying to be an expert. Just passing on information that was freely given to me for the legnth of time i researched myself.

I dont buy anything on a wim.

I was informed a couple weeks back on that bike of the damage........i'm just passing it on so someone doesnt get burned.

If it were a 72 it would be worth much more. It would have floor runners, li perches and sx panels and maybe disc brake.

I'd contest that but I am not about to get into anything here...  Fact.. the scooter would have some different parts.

I was informed a couple weeks back on that bike of the damage........i'm just passing it on so someone doesnt get burned.

I would have sent that through a PM. Especially since I don't know if the owner is a LCUSA member and I wouldn't want to sour a sale or influence someone easily swayed.

My pal Bryan just picked up a green Jet from Sacramento. It used to be owned by JP (Burgandy Topz). I think it had previously been wrecked but don't know for sure. If anyone knows of it, send me a PM.