Hey gang

getting ready to button up a tv200 engine...we're putting a Mugello kit on it with a 28mm dellorto and a BGM/MB box pipe... nothing too crazy but looking to get some usable rallying power.

Looking at the gearbox, the TV200 is really tall...4.45:1...ideally I want to be around 4.8:1 (thanks Mike for the info)...so using one of the online calculators it looks like if I go to a 47 tooth crown wheel and a 14 tooth front sprocket I will be right there at 4.87:1

first of all, are there any concerns about using this combination of crown wheel and sprocket? do I need a specific chain or is the original chain ok?  Would I need a pull down type tensioner?

Are there any other performance/use concerns I should be aware of?

Lastly, does anyone stateside have a 14 tooth front sprocket? (I looked at the usual shop sites..nothing I can find)

thanks in advance!

I was hoping I could help. Smallest front sprocket I have is a 15.

I even looked in my personal stash. No luck ?

Sorry.

• Like 1

You could try a 45 on the crown wheel also. It won't be as big as shift as the 14 but it would be better than nothing. 45 is kind of an odd size also so you might run in to the same problem.

At least try the stock TV200 gearing. A good tuned motor should pull it (hopefully)

With regard to the stock gearing, I'm concerned the BGM exhaust is too revvy to pull 4th ...Rick wants to ride 2 up  a bunch ...thoughts? the kit is the 225 Mugello, not sure what the port timings are like.

Josh, the 225 Mugello is designed to be a kit with torque, and so should be able to pull a TV200 gearbox. Having said that, 2 up adds weight. I have no idea on the relative sizes of the people involved though.

I just rode over the Alps and Pyrenees on a Mugello 225 on a standard SX200 gearbox, no problem at all.

Can't talk about using a BGM though, as I have no experience.