Bjjpdx

Looking for Headlight recommendations Early series 3 Li (1963)

I am wondering if there are any recommendations for for a bright headlight. My current (stock light) headlight beam reaches about 4' at the most, its not really illuminating the road or helping keep me visible while traveling at night. I have been hunting around to find something that improves this dilema, but thought I would ask here what have you guys found that works good. Sorry if I missed any previous discussion on this. Thank you. 

*the bulb I am currently using is new

*stock glass/stock reflector

And a tired stator and flywheel won’t do you any favors either if it’s still 6v...

• Upvote 1

Sorry I did not clarify, it is a 12V system, The Flywheel and stator are brand new BGM, original Innocenti glass not plastic.

Sounds like bad/old wiring or a poor connection.  I’m sure you know, but wiring rots/rusts from the inside and if original loom that could also be part of the problem.  My ‘66 Special has most of the harness original though and the 12v setup conversion made it pretty blazing after I switched from 6v. Regular incandescent bulb too.

• Like 1

DOh! I didn't think about that, that very well could be the issue, I haven't replaced any of the wiring yet, planning to this winter when I tear it down for paint. I'll get the tester on it tonight and check it out. Thanks!

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the Tips i went thru electrically all was checking out, cleaned up connections any way while in there, cleaned reflector and internal glass and added the 12V version of the Halogen bulb that  Lambrettayeroc recommended and the light is very bright now. Thank you. Much safer now.

IMG_0486.jpg

• Upvote 1

My DL has a 12 volt system and a halogen bulb, but what really made a difference was installing a LED tail light that freed up more volts for the headlight.

WW

Oh, thats a great idea, ill look into that next for sure! Thanks.

They are available at your friendly local auto parts store (FLAPS).  They are not cheap but worth it.

WW

• Like 1

I’d like to know if these work - would be much better than replacing the whole internal unit with the ‘circuit board’ type LED tailight.  I’ll keep an eye out here for the replies...

Actually thinking of something like this for the festoon type bulbs in other motos too...

CFDD9B23-F7D9-4A42-A9D3-EEC2D8A09379.jpeg

(I used one of these in a vIntage Necchi 1955 Supernova BU Italian sewing machine)

96DD6D45-C533-4693-9B08-E409EAAE9D83.jpeg

• Like 1

Nah - 12v in both the Special and my Jet.  Of course the Heinkel came with 12v as stock....crafty German engineers ?

Those LED lights have really dropped in price since I bought mine several years back.

WW

4 hours ago, ScottWally said:

I’d like to know if these work - would be much better than replacing the whole internal unit with the ‘circuit board’ type LED tailight.  I’ll keep an eye out here for the replies...

The 1157 LED lamp is all I use on 12v systems. It’s a solid and common design that is an OEM type swap. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

IF one is running 6volt original, I found this $4 rear bulb https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/led-vehicle-replacement-bulbs/1157-led-bulb-dual-function-19-led-forward-firing-cluster-bay15d-retrofit-car-classic-car-bulbs/508/1691/?utm_source=Criteo Dynamic Remarketing&utm_medium=Criteo Dynamic Remarketing&utm_campaign=Criteo Dynamic Remarketing

It will draw way less current, but unless you have a 6v regulator, it might blow quickly.  That's what happened with my BGM plate type 6v led rear light ($24).

• Upvote 1

On 5/23/2018 at 10:22 AM, jambretta said:

IF one is running 6volt original, I found this $4 rear bulb https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/led-vehicle-replacement-bulbs/1157-led-bulb-dual-function-19-led-forward-firing-cluster-bay15d-retrofit-car-classic-car-bulbs/508/1691/?utm_source=Criteo Dynamic Remarketing&utm_medium=Criteo Dynamic Remarketing&utm_campaign=Criteo Dynamic Remarketing

It will draw way less current, but unless you have a 6v regulator, it might blow quickly.  That's what happened with my BGM plate type 6v led rear light ($24).

Yep, I blew a BGM unit and a cheaper one that I won at a rally.  Incandescent bulbs are more forgiving for sure ?

Yes.  My LED  rear light blew after about three years but  believe it was worth the better head light efficiency.

WW

I got1157 LED lamp and installed along with the Halogen headlight seems to be sorted now. Was on the scoot all weekend zero issues decent illumination. Thanks for the tips! 

I have been running that setup on my dl for several years now.  No dimming when braking or at low revs.

WW