Sign in to follow this  
mikeracha

Riding (Mostly) Original Lambrettas

I rode my S3 TV175 today for the first time in a while. My daily driver is an gt225 powered S2 Li. My TV175 is mostly original except for a modern Delorto carb and a 12v electronic ignition. It still has a battery, though. I love driving it. It's quiet, clicks like a sewing machine, and the gearbox shifts like butter.

Anyone else ride a (mostly) original Lambretta?

• Like 1

My Jet and Silver Special are similar to your TV - modern carb and ignition.  I even run the Jet with the Spanish glovebox air box that most folks get rid of, but I did ditch the battery.  I guess the Special doesn’t count either as I have fitted an older Casa 185 top end.

Looking forward to seeing other, more stock factory set up, replies to your post.

I think Darren Lopez is a fan of all original setups...calling D-Lo!

My Series III Li 125 has an Li150 gearbox, 175 conversion piston, and one of the Scootopia 22mm Delortos, but that's just so it is livable in traffic. So while not stock, it's all Innocenti-based mild mods that have been around since the 60's.  I'm still running the early Series III 4-pole stator and flywheel. I had done the performance thing with Lambrettas in the 1980's - and I know unlike then when you had to attack a stock barrel with a die grinder, and the exotic thing was a Japanese con rod, a Wiseco Suzuki thin ring piston, and a lightened flywheel done at home and replacing the fins with a nylon fan - there are great and reliable kits out there now, but I just like the ease and easy vibe of running a pretty stock scooter. I find if I want to go faster, I'll hop on the motorcycle.  

Nothing wrong at all with a good stock or stock type motor. 

I rode for years on my riverside as a stock 125. Then swapped the top end to a sr190 but retained the ignition and exhaust (made it run like a stock 200). Now it has a gori200 cylinder with sh22 but still a stock exhaust. Super reliable, quiet and fast enough to have fun with. 

Stock 6v Li 125S with minimal lighting, Stock TV175 (Except for 12 Volt ignition), TS1 225 Li Special. Of these, I think for the kind of riding I do, I like the TV best. It just about keeps up with traffic flow on local roads and gives some light. It's pretty cool to think of riding a 55 year old machine. How many of today's modern scoots will be in the road in 2073? Still, I am looking forward to an electric conversion....to ease my Green side conscience.

• Like 1

That's my plan for this old API -- pretty much stock. I need to find a good 150 top end and piston.

DSC00075.JPG

Love my stock top end  TV 175  Modern Dellorto Carb, BGM 12 volt and an AF clubman.

I have some kitted scoots but this  TV 175 being pretty much stock,  moves right along quite nicely. 

I know there are a lot of tuners out there, but that's not me. Original machines are what I'm attracted to. I don't care if I'm a little slower. If I want to go fast, I'll drive BMW.

I'll do stock-ish upgrades like maybe a larger carb or 12v electronic ignition or a slight upgrade to the exhaust. I have no plans for bigger cylinders or adding a 5th gear.

I hear you all on this topic, but with the long rural roads, road speeds and knuckle heads in big diesel 4x4 trucks where I live... Stock speeds are not compatible. I am sure others are in the same situation, go faster or stay in the neighborhood only... 

• Upvote 1

Agree with TRs. It's not a matter of tuning to have the fastest, it's about safety.  Stock for a museum, tuned for everyday. Where I live people will try to kill you so they can get to where they are going if you are "in the way"