Sam Lock

Snapped off engine case stud help

Stripping an engine that has not been opened in several decades by the looks of it. One of the exhaust studs that the chain case fits over has snapped within the threaded hole. Anyone have any tips to get it out. Center punch and easy out tool?

thanks in advance.

F5C8FAD4-178D-455D-877F-8AA8453A2BAD.jpeg

Welder! That's the first thing I'd try. Weld up from what's left of the stud until it sits slightly proud of the case surface. Then put a big nut over it and weld that on. Let it cool completely for weld strength and work it out with a wrench carefully going back and forth a little at a time.

9 hours ago, baronvonmike said:

That's what I would try.

Thanks, I just watched it. Looks doable as I have a clean, flat snap making it easier to punch a pilot spot.

42 minutes ago, theageofindustry said:

Welder! That's the first thing I'd try. Weld up from what's left of the stud until it sits slightly proud of the case surface. Then put a big nut over it and weld that on. Let it cool completely for weld strength and work it out with a wrench carefully going back and forth a little at a time.

I thought this method was only possible if there is some meat of the broken stud above the case / gasket face.... to weld to. My snap is about 1 -2mm below the gasket face within the hole. LMK, thanks.

12 hours ago, Sam Lock said:

I thought this method was only possible if there is some meat of the broken stud above the case / gasket face.... to weld to. My snap is about 1 -2mm below the gasket face within the hole. LMK, thanks.

Nope, I do it all the time. You can build it up until it sits above the surface and then weld the nut on. Works a treat!

11 hours ago, theageofindustry said:

Nope, I do it all the time. You can build it up until it sits above the surface and then weld the nut on. Works a treat!

Thanks P. Good to know. I don't have the equipment of knowledge but there is a local guy within the scooter community that does. I'll reach out to him.

Everybody will chip in with their favorite, but Kroil has never failed me at loosening a stuck bolt or nut.  Hard to find but worth it.  I know that BlueCreeper is gaining a lot of fans too, but I’ve never tried it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, theageofindustry said:

I'm going to pick some up this evening.... even if it's just to apply behind my ears :)

May have been one of my absolute favorite posts to write ever. 

A few dabs behind your ears is perfect for those intimate moments you might have in your garage with the one you love.

On 2/25/2018 at 6:26 PM, davidsquaredson said:

+1 on the Kroll oil. I get it from a rural garage parts supplier. Mechanics use it on farm machinery to get rust frozen bolts out. 

Picked some up today. Give it a try this weekend. Thanks for the tip.