strangewhispering

Can a busted column lock be repaired?

I’ve got a Jet200 that looks like someone stole it at one point.  The column lock shaft that the plunger slides down thru in the headset is busted half off, as if the headset was locked to the left and someone forced the bars to the right.  Thin cast pig iron and a very tight spot don’t give me much hope for welding in a new half of the shaft.  I know this used to be a common issue with V3$p@s but I’ve personally never seen the effects of forced entry on a Lambretta.  Is this column lock just chowdered?  Thanks fam,

-Scott

Post a photo please. Is the headset bottom cracked or is it just the plunger that is damaged?

plungers are available new as replacements. 

I had my S1 column repaired and powder coated locally for ~$50 .  To do it properly, you need the brass bushing that lines the locking pin chamber.  I had a bushing made by a guy in Thailand and it worked perfectly.  The brass bushings vary by model... but Eric at 2nd Ave Scooters ordered some with mine and, I believe, can even do the repair for you.  Here's Eric's link to the bushings.  

I'll attach a pdf showing the S1 repair conducted by Pek (the guy in Thailand).  I printed this this for my local welder and it was all he needed.  Here's Pek's Facebook page: Lambretta Care Services.

I seem to recall that, somewhere in his FB pictures, Pek shows how to repair a S3 steering lock.  If memory serves, it's essentially same except that the bushing is pressed in. (EDIT: I've added a PDF of the S3 repair)

Steering Lock Repair.pdf

S3 Steering Lock Repair.pdf

Edited by darbsclt
Added S3 repair PDF
  • Upvote 1

To verify, all I need to do is build up the aluminum, then press in the brass ferrule? Thanks. 

20190408_094345.jpg

20190408_094330.jpg

Since it’s an Li S3 headset bottom just replace it. 

I’ve got a couple here for you andnits

much less trouble. Id even do a discount on a swap for your busted one.  

Regardless of whether I buy a new headset bottom or not, the fix for this is to build up the aluminum then press in the ferrule, right? Or do I weld around the ferrule,  trapping it in place? This is my first complete rebuild so any info is appreciated. 

The repair photos are further up in this thread. They're what I'm taking to my TIG guy to use. But I'm trying to verify whether it's as simple as building up the broken aluminum and putting the ferrule in the hole.

3 hours ago, damonlevine said:

The repair photos are further up in this thread. They're what I'm taking to my TIG guy to use. But I'm trying to verify whether it's as simple as building up the broken aluminum and putting the ferrule in the hole.

The correct way is to weld up the broken piece and then machine a new hole for the bushing to go in to.

On 4/9/2019 at 2:47 PM, Mike Anhalt said:

The correct way is to weld up the broken piece and then machine a new hole for the bushing to go in to.

Thanks for that clarification,  Mike.