Lloyd Hammond

how to test electronic ignition?

Hi.  Trying to get a Lambretta SIII Li150 running.  (It's never worked since I had it).  I purchased an electronic ignition kit (yes - the Indian one - I may live to regret that!).  It all fits in ok.  Stator in place, CDI Unit wired up.  Includes regulator.  I don't get any spark.  Sometimes I can feel a feeble currently through the end of the HT lead when I kick the engine over, but nothing much.  Not sure whether it's the stator or the CPI unit.  I presume I don't need to wire in the regulator until I hook up the rest of the electrics on the bike.  I'm not even looking to getting it running.  I would just like to see a spark!  What output should I see as I kick over the engine?  I have green/red/white wires from the stator, plus a yellow from the CDI unit to earth and the HT lead.  Cheers, Lloyd 

Undo all the wires from the stator. 

Hold the end of the Green from the stator to the engine case and kick over the engine. 

If you have a decent spark there then consider changing tour CDI, HT lead, plug cap or plug. 

Yellow is power for electrics and goes to the IN post on the regulator. 

If there is no spark at the green wire there are some tests you can do with a multi meter ton the stator wires. 

Keep us posted. 

On an electronic, the easiest way I find is to check the stator first. Checking Ohms with a mulit-meter, Red to white should be around 90-95 ohms. Green to white should be between 400-650. Those numbers are approximate/off the top of my head. Pretty sure they're right on though. If the stator is good, and the green wire to frame check comes out good, then I'd go with a cdi change. Also, try removing the green wire coming from the loom, which is the kill switch. A faulty kill switch will do it too. 

I've had good results with the cheap indian ones considering the cost. I've had a few bad solder joints on the stator (easy fix), 2 bad cdi's, and one bad regulator. To replace any of those parts was still way below cost of other higher end kits....which we've also had bad cdi's and solder joints on. If it's indian, I would definitely start with a stator check. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Lambrettayeroc: There was no spark from any of the wires from the stator, so it looks like that is where the problem lies.

Solerunner1: Thanks for the info.  I'll check the resistance across the coils in the stator as you suggested later today.

(Got tied up working on the 4 wheeled variety this morning - another vehicle that hasn't seen the light of day for 20 plus years!).

Cheers,

Lloyd

• Like 1

Red to white: 92ohm

Green to white: 497ohm

which both appear within spec.  I haven't wired up anything other than the stator wires to the CDI unit (no kill switch, etc.).  That should be enough to generate a spark at the HT lead.

Cheers,

Lloyd

17 hours ago, Lloyd Hammond said:

Red to white: 92ohm

Green to white: 497ohm

which both appear within spec.  I haven't wired up anything other than the stator wires to the CDI unit (no kill switch, etc.).  That should be enough to generate a spark at the HT lead.

Cheers,

Lloyd

Yeah, certainly seems good. You can also check green wire voltage when kicking the bike over, although note- the voltage is high enough to shock you if you're hands are touching the wire. Depending on kicking speed (start slow and work your way up) it could be as high as 40 volts if I remember correctly. If you've got voltage, then I'd definitely suspect a bad CDI. 

Agree 100% with Solerunner. Not 100% that checking spark by grounding the green is a good idea on electronics, could end up blowing the pick-up, I believe the spark needs to go through a resistor of sorts. Have installed loads of Indian set ups and most work just fine. Is anyone still selling them in this country anymore or does everyone upsell to the fancy kits? Hate having to go abroad for an electronic kit, but not everyone is into paying $300+ for a flywheel and stator and then still having to buy regulator and cdi.