Jump to content
Dolla Bill

moving to california, how do i put a bike on the road?

Recommended Posts

I'm going to be moving to california from canada, for a while, looking to pick up a comuter bike as soon as i get there.

 

Does anyone know how that happens?

 

I go to the shop, buy a bike ,

get insurance (already spoke with geico)

then.... is that it? where do i get a plate etc...

 

Bill

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Barry Gwin at San Francisco Scooter Centre can guide you. Where in California will you be moving?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you buy from a shop, they will typically deal with the DMV for you. You still need to do to the DMV to get a license though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you buy from a shop, they should take care of the license/registration issue.  If you buy from a person, hopefully they have the pink slip, and that's very easy to transfer.  Without a pink, you gotta get the bike inspected at the DMV or CHP.

To ride anything over 49cc, you need at least a permit, which allows you to ride on city streets, during the day, by yourself.  You can get a permit by taking the written portion of the test only.  If you want to ride on the freeway, with a passenger, or at night, you need an M1 license.  You either take the Motorcycle Riders Class or take the riding test at the DMV.

When you take the written portion of the motorcycle test, you will also have to take the written automobile test.  With the automobile test, its one side of a sheet and you can miss 4 questions.  With the motorcycle written test, its twice as long and you can only miss 4 questions.

And, if you are moving to CA, you should change your name to 25 Cents, because that's all you'll have left to live off of.  :-)

Mike

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

His Canadian / Ontario Motorcycle and drivers

license will work in the US. A visit to the DMV to transfer all that will have to be done though. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, upjettr said:

Barry Gwin at San Francisco Scooter Centre can guide you. Where in California will you be moving?

 

awesome.

 

Well work is in Redwood City south of S.F. , i've been there like 12 times this year, already a 2nd home. Hoping to find a rental in halfmoon bay, or somewhere nice.

 

I'll be back and forth for the next 6 months, with a move planned in july.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, TRs said:

California DMV, the unhappiest place on earth. 

I tried to make an appointment, next available:january, wtf?

 

I could go walk into an MTO (same thing) right now, and there are 3 within walking distance..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, baronvonmike said:

If you buy from a shop, they should take care of the license/registration issue.  If you buy from a person, hopefully they have the pink slip, and that's very easy to transfer.  Without a pink, you gotta get the bike inspected at the DMV or CHP.

To ride anything over 49cc, you need at least a permit, which allows you to ride on city streets, during the day, by yourself.  You can get a permit by taking the written portion of the test only.  If you want to ride on the freeway, with a passenger, or at night, you need an M1 license.  You either take the Motorcycle Riders Class or take the riding test at the DMV.

When you take the written portion of the motorcycle test, you will also have to take the written automobile test.  With the automobile test, its one side of a sheet and you can miss 4 questions.  With the motorcycle written test, its twice as long and you can only miss 4 questions.

And, if you are moving to CA, you should change your name to 25 Cents, because that's all you'll have left to live off of.  :-)

Mike

Ha,

 

Yeah i have a valid motorcycle license, so that shouldn't be a problem, and i'll buy from a shop, so maybe that's all.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Dolla Bill said:

I tried to make an appointment, next available:january, wtf?

 

I could go walk into an MTO (same thing) right now, and there are 3 within walking distance..

I went to the DMV last week in Santa Clara, roughly 15 miles south of RWC. No appointment, in and out in 45 minutes. You may have better luck if you walk in later in the day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are a member of the American Automobile Association or their Canadian affiliate they used to be to move quickly through their facilities.  I do not know if it is still available or if they process scooters.

WW

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Dolla Bill said:

I tried to make an appointment, next available:january, wtf?

 

I could go walk into an MTO (same thing) right now, and there are 3 within walking distance..

You can walk in in California too. You need to know which one to go to though, as wait times can be very different.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As stated, CA DMV wait times and availability vary based on location.  Take a weekend trip to San Luis Obispo, I lived there for 16 years.  Hardly ever a wait at that DMV.  Corte Madera DMV, up in Marin, is also a breeze.  You're kind of screwed on the Peninsula.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, baronvonmike said:

As stated, CA DMV wait times and availability vary based on location.  Take a weekend trip to San Luis Obispo, I lived there for 16 years.  Hardly ever a wait at that DMV.  Corte Madera DMV, up in Marin, is also a breeze.  You're kind of screwed on the Peninsula.

This might not actually be accurate. Where your residence is can determine which DMV office you'll need to go to. You will want to double check before you take a road trip to register a bike in a different town. I know a couple of people who were turned away because they lived "out of area".

 

Make the appointment, bring your check book, all your paper work and smile. January is not that far away.

1. If you get a bike with no title you will need to get it inspected by the CHP. That's another appointment.

2. If you bring one from Canada, see step 1. 

3. Above all else, ignorance on the behalf of the DMV is a good thing. DO NOT volunteer any information. As far as you know the bike has lived in the USA since it was imported, is PRE 17 digit VIN rules and is exempt from SMOG rules.

 

Good luck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting Mike.  I've been going back to the SLO DMV since I moved up to the bay area almost 20 years ago.  They've never said poop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jesus. Petaluma dmv is not bad typically 45 mins or less. Or CHP is now scheduling vin verification on a regular basis so even that is getting easier. The drive to SLO would suck just for a dmv but i guess anything beats LA dmv’s. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I never just go to SLO for the DMV.  I have family there.

Maybe going a bit far, but here is a link to the CA DMV Registration Procedures Manual.  I've had club mates print out pages from this to "help" the nice DMV employees get their jobs done with ease...

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/pubs/reg_hdbk_pdf/toc/

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gotcha Mike, misunderstood your post earlier. I usually take a similar approach and ‘guide’ the clerk, it has helped to extend the temporary operating permit they issue. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...