Sign in to follow this  
Stu aka S.Hanson #17

Quattrini 210 for sml block?

Derek M has an Ss200 kit on a S2. He said it fit like a dream and is fast enough to worry him.

That Quattrini Kit looks crazy rad. i wouldn't bother with it though without Spanish cases though unless you have a good welder.

the Casa SS kit was a very very nice kit to install. I went conservative on the case matching due to the lack of meat on the Italian cases, but the hardest part on the install was fashioning a leak down tester. after dealing with a shitty imola kit, i was very pleased in the fit and finish of the parts.

Using a PHBH carb puts the carb settings right up against the motor mounts so don't do that. i think the VHSB carb screws are on the opposite side of the carb body to solve that issue.

Now for riding, i can only give you a review based on the limited times I've taken it around the block. i'm all the way forward on the seat and handlebars to keep the front end down when that 5000 or so rpm thrash hits you. i have yet to wind it out on the road,  since it revs so fucking high. Combining the long rpm range, front wheel air Jordan attempt and the stock brakes i'm still running is making me convinced this bike wants to kill me. its going to be pretty fucking fun once i sort out stopping reliably. 

well now you tell me. i've got an extra BS carb, i can trade for an AS one. 

• Upvote 1

Yeah, looks like the ss200 is a straight forward build and at this point less expensive.  The quattrini looks like welding is needed, an altered rb exhaust,  a longstroke crank with a 116 rod. Add all that up and I suspect the hp and reliability are very similar.  I just really like that quattrini and am very curious about it. 

It looks really cool and well done. I like that it's built to work with a longer stroke crank. That said, the lack a skirting on the barrel makes me nervous about alignment with the crank. Am I missing something? I'm sure a seasoned builder would be able to make it reliable but I'm not sure if I could. 

I'm really digging the power spread on the Quattrini. I took a quick mental inventory and I don't really have anything to use it on right now but I'm hoping they do a big block at some point as that is something I could use. 

It looks to be a well thought out and engineered kit. In the latest Scootering magazines there's an article on this kit with an interview with Max Quattrini. I'm pretty sure it states it fits a stock italian 125/150 casing without welding/machining.

Agreed there is additional expense of an exhaust (Chiselspeed is the only one available at the moment) and a 116mm rodded crank, so just bolt it onto your TV175 ;-)

I question reliability in the long run (perhaps even the short run!), but it's definitely a unique design! If a 115 rod will work (it should), send me an old worn out GP crank and the kit. I'll send back a 115 Yamaha rod, welded crank for $200 that will handle it, and build a pipe for it for half the chiselspeed cost (minus silencer). Send me the casings and I'll port them for cheap, match it all, and set the squish. The only catch is- I move slow in the winter, so turn around takes a while. I might be able to shave some more money off,  just for the fun of building a killer engine like this! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I think any rod might work but I have a strong feeling that the 58/116 combo is there to keep the piston as far in the cylinder as possible at bdc since the skirt isn't there to guide it. I imagine the piston chosen to do the deed also plays a roll in this but that's all speculation.

4 hours ago, theageofindustry said:

I think any rod might work but I have a strong feeling that the 58/116 combo is there to keep the piston as far in the cylinder as possible at bdc since the skirt isn't there to guide it. I imagine the piston chosen to do the deed also plays a roll in this but that's all speculation.

I was thinking that same thing. It could be that's the piston that was off the shelf and reduced costs. It's what AF did with the RB20 (over size Yamaha piston). I'd like to get my hands on one but none of my regular customers build anything fast like that.

9 hours ago, theageofindustry said:

I read in one of the earlier writings about it that that's exactly why they use the long rod. I just don't think 1mm difference would be too much trouble. 

Does anybody know how the barrel is properly located on the case? I mean the barrel studs can't be considered reliable - can they? 

2 hours ago, ThomasK said:

Does anybody know how the barrel is properly located on the case? I mean the barrel studs can't be considered reliable - can they? 

https://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/products/racing+cylinder+quattrini+_15059000

That's pictures of the P200 version, which uses the same system. My guess is that it only uses the studs. My other guess is that there's ample side play in the little end to account for rod clearance. While we obviously want the barrel and piston to run dead center of the crank center line, it's not actually as critical as you might think. Side to side, the rod could be thrust into a crank web or the piston, that's why I say there'll be plenty of clearance. Up and down- The Gordon Blair book talks about offsetting the barrel to achieve asymmetrical port timings....which is quite a head scratcher if you think about it for while! haha. 

• Like 1

Well certainly I'm scratching my head! 

Thanks for the explanation. I think I'm going to leave this one to the real experts. I'd love to see a step-by-step build of it though!