Todd

Some leak help

After cleaning road grime and finishing up my wheel and brake projects. 10 mi in I can see I might have a exhaust flange leak?or a seal? What do you all think? Blowing out the right hole in the tin up under the floorboard and some onto the back of the side panel. I'm not sure everything else is bone dry, and running good. thanks for the help.

IMG_1373.JPG

Probably the exhaust flange but hard to say for sure. The problem is it gets sucked into the fan and blows it all through the top end so it gets tough to tell. Better to get a look right at where the exhaust bolts to the jug.  I seal hit both sides of the exhaust gasket with copper rtv to keep it saled up tight.

If the crank seal was leaking could the fan blow it out the hole

Oh yeah but I've not personally seen it leak that bad. Also if the petcock leaks it can dribble past the stator wire grommet over time and blow that all over the place just as well. I've seen that a few times. That fan likes to do it's job and blow stuff everywhere.

10 minutes ago, theageofindustry said:

Oh yeah but I've not personally seen it leak that bad. Also if the petcock leaks it can dribble past the stator wire grommet over time and blow that all over the place just as well. I've seen that a few times. That fan likes to do it's job and blow stuff everywhere.

Yes I thought it was gas at first, my cap was leaking bad. New cap and felt solved that. Still blowing. Check more Tomorrow 

Yep, as you have indicated an overfill will essentially do the same. If you fill it to the max and hit a couple turns right away and it leaks out, it runs down the side of the tank and down to the petcock and to the fan.  

Good stuff

Yep it's seals, they really opened up today and started blowing clouds☁️☁️ Out the pipe. I don't think anybody's been inside the case yet. Any tips or improvements on a stock rebuild while inside? 

If the engine runs quietly, just keep it simple with seals. Drown out the voices telling you to do bearings and everything else. 

5 hours ago, upjettr said:

If the engine runs quietly, just keep it simple with seals. Drown out the voices telling you to do bearings and everything else. 

Yes that's what I'm thinking, put the blinders on 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, DISPLAY NAME said:

Yes that's what I'm thinking, put the blinders on 

It has taken me twenty years to come up with this advice. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Yep, seals and gasjets. A stock GP200 that runs well is a pleasure to own and drive. It definitely ticks all the boxes of a good and reliable daily rider.

Ok step one. Good news is this case hasn't been cracked open sense it left the factory  in 95. also got that Indian spare wind brake on there in case I flat. 

IMG_1448.JPG

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Oh man. You are so,lucky you pulled that off to take a look at it. If that chain guide whould have seperated you’d have gotten tossed or crankshaft twisted at the least.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, DISPLAY NAME said:

Ok step one. Good news is this case hasn't been cracked open sense it left the factory  in 95. also got that Indian spare wind brake on there in case I flat. 

IMG_1448.JPG

Haha, that's one use for a practice amp!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, upjettr said:

Oh man. You are so,lucky you pulled that off to take a look at it. If that chain guide whould have seperated you’d have gotten tossed or crankshaft twisted at the least.

Yep lucky. I'm trying to keep the blinders on, but keep following the rabbit. Looks 

1 hour ago, upjettr said:

Yep lucky. I'm trying to keep the blinders on, but keep following the rabbit. Looks like I might need a new piston and bore .2mm  any thoughts? 

IMG_1479.JPG

IMG_1481.JPG

I count at least 5 separate seizes on that piston. 

At least a new piston/rings/hone. 

If it were me I'd go for the next OS and have those ports smoothed out.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mike Anhalt said:

I count at least 5 separate seizes on that piston. 

At least a new piston/rings/hone. 

If it were me I'd go for the next OS and have those ports smoothed out.

Yes Mike,  gut says bore up and make the ports nice. Next piston up is 66.2 I think. Mark recomended Q&E in Anaheim for Machining. Anybody  here use them?

MB in the UK has a branded piston for the TV175. Don't know about availability, can be scarce sometimes. Though I haven't used him, Sole Power can do the work. LCUSA!

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, upjettr said:

MB in the UK has a branded piston for the TV175. Don't know about availability, can be scarce sometimes. Though I haven't used him, Sole Power can do the work. LCUSA!

Isn't it a 200?

Anyways, Adam at solepower did my Jet200 for me. I sent him the intake and exhaust u-bend along with the piston and jug and told him to blue print it. Whatever he did, it's the fastest stock 200 I've ever ridden. It stomps right off the line as is not peaky. Power is linear throughout the range. You might need to upjet if you go that route though. 

Sorry, I got a little befuddled.

Yes. Same still applies. The MB forged pistons are sweet. 

11 hours ago, upjettr said:

Second for Adam.  Worth any shipping.

• Like 1