Sam Lock

Kickstart shaft advice

Working on a friends early Serveta LI150, a 71 I believe he said it is. When we drained the oil the kickstart piston locating bolt came out with the oil! When we removed the cover we discovered a new bolt had been installed. This is an ex police bike so I’m guessing the popo mechanic couldn’t find the bolt so just left it in there!!!

the kickstart shaft is well knackered but has anyone ever seen these marks? I’ve seen the rubbing of the top clutch plate on the head of the shaft before but the two grooves line up with the outer edge of the clutch bell and the chain. The chain should not ever be that close to the kickstart shaft should it?

also, are the two different kickstart ramps interchangeable? Full loop and open one like installed on this bike. If so which is recommended?

Does anyone have a used, good condition LI shaft they can sell us?

thanks all. 

A6DE5AF6-107E-43D6-A13C-C76AE5C2F3B8.jpeg

3491E851-1B8E-40A0-AFD6-D3E9D32CC7EF.jpeg

6462AE46-2A5F-46FF-A95C-701C3EB5D21F.jpeg

CAA3ABB9-A792-4F6C-BA9B-8C3B46E8DF21.jpeg

8F54C7E3-537C-4F0E-951C-7A2721F0C6C8.jpeg

DF00A71C-77AE-4EAE-ADEE-4FBDDD6104F0.jpeg

E362F1F6-E1CE-4180-8C07-C63D18DF5E68.jpeg

All normal wear marks from a shaft that has been allowed to push in towards the heads from a worn circlip or dished or missing shaft shim. 

Both ramps are interchangeable. 

Check that inner clutch spider for damage. It may need replacement. 

• Upvote 1

That kickstart shaft is past its prime. 

If you replace it with thicker late SX/Gp shaft the case cover will need modification with a special tool to cut away from material from the inner bearing area. 

Push the case cover bushing back home and 90% of your clearance problems will go away.

I should have have a good kick start shaft. Will have to dig it up. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Lambrettayeroc said:

That kickstart shaft is past its prime. 

If you replace it with thicker late SX/Gp shaft the case cover will need modification with a special tool to cut away from material from the inner bearing area. 

Yes, I have read several articles on here about that but I don't have the shaving bit. We are on a budget with the next bunch of cash going towards an electronic ignition kit and with the engine being stock I figured a good quality, used shaft with a new piston, bushings, shim, circlip would get him on the road.

6 hours ago, Mike Anhalt said:

Push the case cover bushing back home and 90% of your clearance problems will go away.

Thanks Mike, I did notice that bushing was sitting a bit proud. I was thinking of replacing the bushings and seal along with all the other kick start parts. It all seems to have had a rough life. I appreciate you taking the time to look for a shaft. Let me know, thanks

My recommendation is to use the ramp for the LI, rather than the type built into the end plate. You get more adjustment and it's easier to do.

You already have your answers re the shaft. Definitely use the post mod version. There's a reason Innocenti beefed it up. I know you are on a budget, but some corners are not worth cutting.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, siobhan ellis said:

My recommendation is to use the ramp for the LI, rather than the type built into the end plate. You get more adjustment and it's easier to do.

You already have your answers re the shaft. Definitely use the post mod version. There's a reason Innocenti beefed it up. I know you are on a budget, but some corners are not worth cutting.

Thank you Siobhan, That info on the ramp is good to know. 

On 10/4/2017 at 1:06 AM, Mike Anhalt said:

Hi Mike, any luck on that shaft?

Thanks.

9 minutes ago, Mike Anhalt said:

I dug through my boxes yesterday and no luck. Just a couple of busted ones. ☹️

Mike, thanks for checking. This is a friends bike so I will forward all the info to him and advise on the stronger, post mod shaft. It will give me an excuse to buy another tool :)

2 hours ago, dirtyhandslopez said:

Hey Sam, I'm sure I have one here if you rather not buy the tool...

DHL, if you have one in good shape I think he would appreciate it. Let me know if you do and how much.

Cheers,

9 hours ago, dirtyhandslopez said:

Sorry Sam, only have a couple and need those for builds. 

No problem. I’ll let him know. Thanks for digging ?