TRs

RB kit premix

The website and instructions state 4% premix.

I must be getting old, because it is a lot of smoke.

Has anyone tried less?

What oil are you using? 4% motor oil will ensure there are no mosquitos anywhere near you -- 4% full synthetic shouldn't smoke much.

I've not yet had the pleasure of having an RB kitted bike (next one I build) but I've never broken in an engine with less than 4% mix.

Cool -- I've not use Motul but I believe 710 is a full synth? Shouldn't smoke much at 4%.

When you built the engine did you prelube all the bearings and bore with a good dose of 2-stroke? 'Cause it'll smoke like crazy while it burns off (..and that's OK). I don't know maybe I've used too much 2-stroke when building but I've been surprised by how long that can take (several minutes of running). -- It's a new engine right?

It is getting close to 400 miles...so not assy lube anymore. 

It is probably a bit rich on jetting as I am trying to break it in gently, ha. I am used to Yamaha's on 2% and injector, modified V espas on 3%, but 4% just seems to be a lot...  

Hmm..well I'm stumped then. I'm sure somebody with more experience than me will chime in. 

Hopefully the drive side seal isn't leaking and pulling in gearbox oil. 

All brand new seals, etc. And smells like Motul and is a nice blue, but you never know.... 

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

I'm about 1600 miles post most recent rebuild and I know my drive side seal is leaking a bit (just started in the last couple hundred miles -- it's losing gearbox oil without leaking). I'll bet when I pull it apart this winter I find that something got installed (by me) wrong.   

You can run 4% and not have it smoke like crazy as long as it's jetted correctly. Try pulling the air filter off and see if it helps clear it up. If you're following the jetting guide from AF Raysped then it will smoke a lot. Those are just rough guidelines for bikes at sea level

The absolute worse thing thing you can do is "jet or mix rich for break in" . Over rich mixtures can cause the motor to load up and potentially seize. That loading retains heat in the motor.  Once I have a carb dialed in the only time it gets adjusted is when the weather changes.

Find an oil mix and jetting that works for you, then stick with it. 

• Upvote 1

I think the worst would be to set the timing advanced and run it lean. Wait for a hole in the piston or a nice seize... :o

I started working down the main jet size, but my short attention span got bored with revving out the motor and cutting plugs. I am excited to hear that when jetted better it will smoke less. The biggest problem is at idle when at a light and the car behind me will not pull close enough to get on the stoplight sensor... 

In the scope of bad building I'd agree with you there but you get my point. There is this misconception that since the motor needs oil to run then more oil must be better since no oil is bad. Here's the twist, add more oil in the mix and you will make more power (jetted correctly of course), up to about 6% mix I believe. After that it's too much, the motor can't burn it and power drops. It's a great article and I'll see if I can find it to post. 

• Like 1