k-dog

nut falling off crank at flywheel

So on my S2 I was riding and it broke down. Well the washer and the nut was in the dust cap.  Weird. So I put it back on and rode it a bit the same thing happened.  So I got a new nut and washer and plan to out it on and hit it with the air gun real good.   Any suggestions on what else?  Maybe lock tight and tighten it REALLY good?

well I am gonna really try to check it all out - it looked ok BUT... I intend to really take a look and see if I can get a real idea

18 minutes ago, k-dog said:

any specific lapping compound?

this is what I use

https://www.amazon.com/Loctite-1777012-Grinding-Lapping-Compound/dp/B00O542WDK/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1506021980&sr=8-4&keywords=valve+grinding+compound

I've had a single can of it for over the last 20 years and it's not near empty.

Valve lapping compound works well. Available at fine auto parts stores everywhere.

If you don't have a flywheel holding tool then get one so you can torque it proper. I 2nd not using an impact for install. You'll be breaking flywheels and cranks in short order. I used to use an electric impact top install the flywheel on my Vespa until the center eventually shattered and left me roadside. Apparently that's a common problem when using an impact to install the flywheel on scooters.

Were the nut and washer that fell off newly installed?

Weird on the airgun business. Have been using a air butterfly rated to 50ftlbs(calibrated once a year by Snap On) for nigh on 20 years without any issue. I can see problems arising using a gun rated higher though. Ya definately have to make sure ya threads are clean.

Well... after removing the dust cap I saw some metal dust.. the nut just spins and it's not really coming off.  So I think my threads are cooked. Guessing I'll be needing a new crank!-_-

On 9/22/2017 at 8:26 AM, k-dog said:

Well... after removing the dust cap I saw some metal dust.. the nut just spins and it's not really coming off.  So I think my threads are cooked. Guessing I'll be needing a new crank!-_-

Bummer

IMG_3847.JPG

The nuts are (should be) softer than the crank... Get the nut off any way you can (prying behind it while unscrewing might work)... You may find threads remaining that a new nut will grab. Lapping and fitting nut with low strength lock title and no washer (if possible) will give more threads... Good luck!