Nicholas De Rosa

suggestions on how to seal patina (rust)

I just wipe mine down with acf 50 but i dont ride in the rain. You could try gun oil or othere products for keeping fire arms from rusting too. Here is a link to a discussion that might be helpful 

It really depends on the final look you are going for. If you clear coat with paint or powder coat it will look shiney and could possibly yellow with age. If you just oil it you have to keep up with it and watch the weather....

Also, can this topic be moved to Painting bodywork info? 

12 hours ago, Mike Anhalt said:

Paint?

I just did a Google search and came up with this

https://www.google.com/search?q=rust+remover&oq=rust+remover&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.2288j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

lots of options. More if you have a way to submerge the big parts.

nah no money for paint and this one is going to be kept on the street. 

2 hours ago, Stu aka S.Hanson #17 said:

I just wipe mine down with acf 50 but i dont ride in the rain. You could try gun oil or othere products for keeping fire arms from rusting too. Here is a link to a discussion that might be helpful 

It really depends on the final look you are going for. If you clear coat with paint or powder coat it will look shiney and could possibly yellow with age. If you just oil it you have to keep up with it and watch the weather....

Also, can this topic be moved to Painting bodywork info? 

stu thanks for the info.  

*how can i move this to paint and bodywork?

To be a little more clear, I would consider cleaning it up (wash all parts) buff it out with wizards, then just oil it consistently with acf50.  Lots of elbow grease, not a lot of $, looks fantastic

I love (and own) 'scruffy' motos, but if you're in a wet/humid area that's a lot of 'patina' to keep in a static state.  

If you go the rust 'arrest' mode with one of the common products used by we connoisseurs of oxidation, you're going to have a lot of black patches where the arrestor does its job - kinda ugly.

I don't let the actual orange rust build up - I use mega fine steel wool or scotch brite pads to remove it, then McGuires (sp?) wax to protect it.  We are very dry here, so I can get away with doing that a couple times a year if I'm not riding in a lot of rain.  My scooters are garaged too.

Surface rust if unattended will become structural, no good of course.  If it's original paint you'll have better luck too than with a respray.  

My '59 S1 that I got from Mike in Portland (and now owned by a buddy here in Denver) was very orange in spots when he found it, but it buffed out beautifully to its factory colors (blue and white).  My Silver Special isn't nearly as nice, but the previous owner monkey'd with the paint a bit.

Patina can be a lot of work to keep in check, but it's only original once, eh? (I can hear puking in the audience from that statement ?).  Good luck!

IMG_0111.JPG

IMG_3003.JPG

Edited by ScottWally
  • Like 1

I wash everything with purple power diluted and clean real good.  then I can soak some parts in evaporust or use evaporust with blue towels and syran wrap in big areas.  use it for 12-24 hours and need to repeat if heavy rust.  then clean and buff and wax.  

Yes, Scott that was a good one.  here is a few pics of my TV200 that I did .  

IMG_0620.JPG

IMG_0834.JPG

IMG_1674.JPG

IMG_1183.JPG

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Stu aka S.Hanson #17 said:

To be a little more clear, I would consider cleaning it up (wash all parts) buff it out with wizards, then just oil it consistently with acf50.  Lots of elbow grease, not a lot of $, looks fantastic

This works well. If it's in a particularly terrible state like my Series 1, you can spray paint in with a satin or flat clear coat.

1 hour ago, vdublammy said:

here is the series 1 when I found it 

P1030271.JPG

Not nearly as 'orange' as the leggy on your TV, eh?  My old brain is failing me ?

• Upvote 1

I've recently completed a similar project, but on a different application. My dad wanted to seal a cast iron piece that was 100% covered in rust. I simply brushed it to remove flaky parts, then light pass with scotchbrite, then wax&grease remover, then 2 coats of a 2K clear-coat  (matte).  It's outside in the rain and just withstood a massive hail storm. The trick is that you need to bury everything under the clearcoat, if you miss a spot or a corner, it's going to peel off.

The only issue is that no matter what you do, when you lay down the first coat, the rust soaks it and turns darker, there is no way around that unfortunately. You can still see some redness, but it comes through as dark copper with light reflections in it, very cool but you  need to test it on the underside of a panel, just to check if that's the shade you are looking for. 

Once the patina is buried under the clearcoat, the lack of air will prevent the rust to spread