Mike Anhalt

Garage breakins

Watch your garages friends. I just had a couple of winners try to get in mine.

I suspect they used one of these last night or this morning.

And then came back today. They just walked up and lifted the door. Luckily the GF was home and chased them off.

Double locks on everything from now on.

Holy shit that should be illegal! I triple lock mine but now I'm thinking I need to get a key for the center know so that I can lock that when I'm on a ride. I usually just let the garage door do the work during those times, which is clearly not enough!

Close  call there . Guess you need to get rid of the safety rope and craft a safety pole with a hook to release the door in an emergency.

Glad nothing was stolen.

Yeah we got very lucky on this one. I have a security camera but the chip was full and haven't recorded anything for last 2 months. 

Thanks for sharing that Mike! I had no idea it was so easy to get into these things. Totally addressing that right now

• Like 1

13 hours ago, beat said:

Thanks for sharing that Mike! I had no idea it was so easy to get into these things. Totally addressing that right now

Yeah those people have nothing but time to figure out ways to take. 

After reading this I replaced the lock on my garage door handle.  It cannot be overridden.

WW

• Like 1

Great ideas! This is what I have in my house:

-Disconnect the inner rods operated by the outside handle (now it just rotates freely, it's useless)

-Take emergency pull cable out, ziptie the mechanism

-Put motion/area sensor or door sensor in the garage so it's monitored like the rest of the house via the alarm system (don't know why but I rarely see this simple upgrade)

-Security camera inside

-Get your garage contents surveyed by the insurance company to add the scooters and equipment to the policy

Back in Italy it's gotten so bad that I have friends cementing eye-bolts to the garage floors to chain their scooters down using heavy duty chains...makes no sense to me, if you are getting to that paranoid it's either time to move or let the hobby go, hope it will never reach those levels here because there's just so much we can do without losing sleep over it, scumbags will always find a way to ruin our day.

I'm glad nothing happened to Mike, thieves are the worst

• Like 1