Sign in to follow this  
Mike Anhalt

J range Headset

1st gear shift cable out keeps popping out of its holder at the headset. Can some one post or send me a photo of the underneath side so I can figure out what I need to fix before I rip this one apart again. I seem to remember it's not quite like a Series headset clamp and the cable outer sits against the headset not the clamp. 

thanks

I have several headsets around I can take pictures of. I kinda forget too, but the headset must have the outer cable housings, because the clamp is just a small piece. Is it a proper J range cable outer? Or specific lambretta for that matter? I've never had trouble with the outer gear cables coming out. Perhaps routed wrong? I seem to remember questioning the cable routing on our starstream. Fortunately, I had a complete cento handy to look at. 

I sort of remember them going on the opposite "cable/wire slot" than what you would think. I wanna say all cables went in the back, and just speedo and wiring went in the front slot? I can check more in depth tomorrow though.

I think I got it sorted out. The 1 cable was too far back and worked its way out and up the gap. I suspect it was when I put the headset on and it was in the wrong spot. Still, post up what you find. The customer is picking this thing up on Thursday and I need a day to make any changes if I have to :D

Wish I could keep this one, it's a total beater looking bike with a mechanical rebuild. First kick starter.

You're probably long done with this but in case someone else has the issue: I had the same/similar problem (and maybe I replied way back if you also posted this on FB group).  Found that if I seated the cable outer in the holder on the engine, the pressure on it kept it in the headset.  Maddening and fussed with various attempts to keep it in place before that, then after seating the rear side first, no problem since.  Haven't ridden a ton (still working out a carb issue and only recently found time again) but have turned handlebars a bunch wheeling it around and around the block a few times and has stayed put.

19 hours ago, Skywalker said:

You're probably long done with this but in case someone else has the issue: I had the same/similar problem (and maybe I replied way back if you also posted this on FB group).  Found that if I seated the cable outer in the holder on the engine, the pressure on it kept it in the headset.  Maddening and fussed with various attempts to keep it in place before that, then after seating the rear side first, no problem since.  Haven't ridden a ton (still working out a carb issue and only recently found time again) but have turned handlebars a bunch wheeling it around and around the block a few times and has stayed put.

It's done and gone. Never heard back from the owner directly but I was told he loved it and rides it all the time. You are correct, getting the cable outers to seat correctly fixed it.