Sign in to follow this  
Mike Anhalt

Hitch Mount hauler thoughts

For a much heavier and heavier duty  one (you know you will end up hauling larger motorcycles on it)... I recommend a Versahaul...used can be found on craigslist...

• Upvote 1

I would avoid any that have bars that the wheels fit in between, and find a solid bottom unit. Scooters tend to settle further into the wheel wells and can easily end up resting on the engine case or exhaust. Also be sure to check your tongue weight. 

I hate using them, but I do from time to time. I usually make sure to secure the scooter front and back. strap wheels so there is no rolling. slight lean towards your car so if it does fall chances are into you car. versahaul are the good ones.

Good idea about the Versahauls. I had not considered those.

I know about the bars problem, having dealt with those before on customers bikes, there were always modified so the wheel fit in a better spot.

The 4runner says it can tow 5k lbs so I have to think the hitch mount can hold a light weight Lambretta (I don't have any mod shit on them).

Versahauls are good don't get a cheap copy . If you do buy a used Versahaul make sure you get the anti vibration brackets that come with it..lashed down front and back

If you don't have a rear rack take the panels off and lash through the frame. Panels are better left off on those just to be safe.Then again I'm paranoid living in the land of potholes.

I'm not a big fan I like my pickup. 

I bought this heavy duty steel one (pictured):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002MGKN2A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It worked great but was too heavy and dumped the back of my car such that I often would scrape coming in and out of driveways.  I recently sold it and got a lighter-weight aluminum one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001IUV1CM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Works fine... does not scrape. 

hauler.jpg

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, FredGarvin said:

Good thought, I read up on that.

1 hour ago, Stu aka S.Hanson #17 said:

Not mine, don't know the person.  And it's not a hitch mount,  but they are only asking $150

http://scoot.net/classifieds/forsale.html?id=60381

That's cheap. Want to deliver it for me? :D

I honestly like the trailer idea better but do not have room for one.

There is a sweet folding three rail trailer that can be stored against a wall outside under an eve...

I have a honda crv that says it can take 675lbs for tongue weight.  I bought a hitch but have yet to install it, but I am looking at these bumper haulers, wondering which one is best for the needs.  Thanks for the topic, its helping me decide.

I got one of these basic cargo carriers from Lowe's for cheap, and found it works for hauling my Series 2.

To make a rail/channel for the tires like the above examples, I cut a couple of 2x4s to length, and lag bolted them on edge from underneath.  I have to deflate the tires about halfway because the hauler is just little bit too short for the Lammy wheelbase, this lets the scoot settle into the rail and really helps it stay put on bumpy New England roads. 

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Carry-On-Trailer-22-in-x-60-in-Hitch-Packer/3192793

On 9/12/2017 at 5:59 PM, TRs said:

For a much heavier and heavier duty  one (you know you will end up hauling larger motorcycles on it)... I recommend a Versahaul...used can be found on craigslist...

Versahauls are the best. We used the same one for over 10 years until we sold our SUVs. Rock solid, excellent tie down points. Only one bike ever came off... Our possessed v3$p@ VBB, which came off twice.