2Tony

progressive springs recommendation?

So thought I read a thread here (but can't find it now, so possibly another message board?)....comparing fork springs.

I'm about to rebuild a fork, and thought I'd get folks' input. It seems some are too stiff, some are too flimsy, and others just right - given your dampener combo, brake (anti-dive), and rider/terrain. etc.

Reviews/Opinions??

thanks!

I like the Scootopia ones. The SIL ones are of different heights, which is annoying. The MB ones are best if you are going into a stock bike with no external dampers, but with dampers they can be too stiff.

it depends on what you want. I'm waiting for upjetter to give me a hard time for this, but I actually carry 2 kinds. One is for road use (Softer) and the other is for race use (Stiffer). That's the broad definition. It really depends on the roads you are riding. I'm finding my stiffer ones were great for Western Australia where the roads were generally quite smooth, but I'm suffering with the California pot holes.

1 hour ago, upjettr said:

...but with dampers they can be too stiff.

Like that's even possible.

Personally I like the forks so stiff they almost want to skip the front wheel. This way you can really get your weight on them in the turns and there is less dive when braking.

• Upvote 1

I've really like the Casa Lambretta progressive springs in my Lambrettas/Serveta.  Only my Jet 200 has dampers, so I've been happy with or without them.  In all fairness, the scooters I've replaced them in (every Lambretta I've owned) had total crap springs and buffers, so the rebuild itself made massive difference in rideability (sp?).

4 hours ago, upjettr said:

I like the Scootopia ones. The SIL ones are of different heights, which is annoying. The MB ones are best if you are going into a stock bike with no external dampers, but with dampers they can be too stiff.

this is vaguely what I remember reading. Couldn't recall which were which, though. Thanks man.

good insight from everyone. Thank you.

Weren't Taffspeed the first to do progressive springs? Are they still in production, and where are they on the scale of stiffness?

5 hours ago, nickthekorean said:

Dean speed has some nice progressive springs too for bargain, think i paid $40 for mine and love them

Aren't Deanspeed springs just SIL springs? I mean, does he have them manufactured to his own specifications?

4 hours ago, siobhan ellis said:

Oh, and I'll just say... I have them in stock, https://lambrettaconcessionaires.com.au/products/ultimate-progessive-fork-springs

They are A$36 a pair (I haven't moved the web site here yet - but that's about US$29) plus postage.

Red is for road, Yellow is for Race (Stiffer)

Annnd this is why I give you shit. If you are a vendor, you can act like a vendor. If you are a club member, you can act like a club member. At every opportunity to either promote yourself or the products you represent, you never fail to disappoint. I find it is tacky and out of place. I will hold up Pete L, Gene M, Mark Ito and Jon/Mark as examples of how a vendor's should behave while also maintaining a membership. The two should not mix like you are doing. It makes whatever opinion you have about a product suspect, since your opinion only seems to favor your own products. By definition, that makes you a shill.  I don't know you well enough to say I like or don't like you, so I won't say either. But you seizing on opportunities to push your own products within a thread is out of place. You should approach the Club's admins about what avenues available to sell your wares to club members.

Not at all. I'm just letting him know I have them if he wants them. 

I withhold my opinion on other products, because I don't want to be accused of being biased. I did not say mine were better than others, just that they were available. I gave my view on using them, even my bad experience.

Again, though, I point out that after many many thousands of km of quite difficult riding, I have experience. The reason  I sell the products I do is because I use them. Not the other way around. 

I think it is reasonable to say, I've used these. This is what I found good and bad and in what circumstances. If you want them, I have them. If you don't, enjoy whatever you buy.

Whatever  brand - a night and day difference between stock and progressive.  I did a set years back on my DL ( think they were casa) and it really changed my ride.

2 hours ago, k-dog said:

Whatever  brand - a night and day difference between stock and progressive.  I did a set years back on my DL ( think they were casa) and it really changed my ride.

That it certainly does. I'd recommend progressive to anyone.