moto64

flummoxed

8 hours ago, Josh Snow said:

I'll chime in here as devil's advocate and just say that if you really want to enjoy riding this scooter, just set the whole top end on the shelf and get the RT225  kit. you can use your stock carb/exhaust, or you can upgrade those and still have a reliable (stock-ish) scooter that is actually fun to ride.

Plus they have pistons to fit the TV crank. 

Certainly would do the trick but I am not sure I am ready to throw another $600 at this machine at this time.

You have a rare and valuable bike. If it were me I'd keep it stock and sell it off for something more rideable. If you do it right you can end up with something nice and fast with a big ole chunk of cash left over. 

After all I put into this TV and the way and where i got it, I am keeping it. I don't necessarily want it faster, just as fast as it should be. I have always felt it was hindered somehow and 90 lbs compression is a starting point. It already has  BGM electrics ( kept the old) and everything else works like new. I also have my V's : the 180 and the little smallframe 135 rocket.

Update: got the new 200 head in and measured the volume: identical to the original. Checked the squish and it was still high so I eliminated the thin head gasket and dropped it to 1.5. Compression's up to around 110 ( cold). Bike feels quite a bit quicker and I'll just run it as is to see if the rings seat after a while. I am OK with it for now but might try another pipe in the spring. Now , if I can just track down and eliminate the annoying rattles from the vibrations of this machine. Thanks.

Just got home from a nice long ride and boy, what a difference. This bike finally has some power  that was sorely missing and it is so much more fun to ride. I'll bet that a better pipe would be a nice addition as well.

TV at Bob's.JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Thanks. Finally runs as well as it looks . From this: ( other than major component blasting, all work by me)

64380007.JPG

64380003.JPG

ps. I wonder if I would have gotten the same results if I had just pulled the gasket from under the original head.....or if I can shave the head another .5mm ?

and please don't tell me i should have saved all that patina.

So I went for it and took the squish down to .116. World of difference in this bike since I did this. Around here it's like a three speed with overdrive, but with the added power it is almost perfect. Before, you were just kidding yourself if you put it in fourth.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just really push 3rd until it won't go any more, aim for a down hill road and hit 4th. ?

Good to to hear you got the squish sorted out and yes you probably would have gotten the same results with modifying  the factory head. 

with the old head, the angle between the piston crown and the squish band was steep and the new one yielded almost parallel surfaces.  I had this thing out on I 84 in Danbury today cruising  in the middle lane passing cars. oh yeah.....now I gotta go out with the old Garmin. ....... and track down one rattle

• Upvote 1