Andrew ITA

Value of a SX200

I'm in the market for a SX200 and I think I found one. I'm still in negotiations, but wanted your advice on how much $$$ you think it's worth here in US so I can make my calculations and don't overshoot since I will also have to ship it over here...I will never resell it, just need to understand what I have on my hands, value-wise.

1966 Italian SX 200

1 owner until 2015, perfectly preserved (original white paint, no scratches dings rust...doesn't even need polish)

Don't know the exact mileage, should be less than 5K, garaged all the time

New owner had the engine completely rebuild by Gori (OEM specs) for reliability 300 miles ago

Nothing else to say, it's just perfect, intact, complete and documents are in order.

If you had to put a price tag for a scoot like this here in US, what would that be?

Between $9,000-$12,000. But I would expect it to be closer to $15,000 if bought by some richie Brit. Gene Meredith, Mike Anhalt, Eric Lussier or Mark Coffman would be able to offer a more accurate idea and give real reasons. My figures are just a guess based on what I've seen, so I may be out of touch.

• Upvote 4

Thanks!

Let's see what they say, although I think you are not that far off...I haven't seen any for sale in US recently, the ones in UK are usually around the 10K GBP range, maybe a bit less if they are customized and/or with weird color combos, more if preserved. Few months ago I found one in Italy, perfectly restored and tuned (225) for 13K EUR. A crappy one that needed a full resto was offered at 6K EUR (and somebody bought it).  

However, I don't have many reference points for preserved models here in US...

I would say $9-12k on the open market in the US is right on the button.  You might find less expensive if found through direct contacts and the seller wasn't looking to make a pile of cash for something they paid $1000 for before SX's were the 'crown jewel' of Lambretta's (mine would be an original paint DL or a red Special, but I'm not buying anymore at my age).

My $0.02, and worth just that...

• Upvote 2

Of course my superior Spanish Jet 200 is the crown jewel of anyone's collection, right Corey? (That's what a good Serveteran should be saying ?).  An SX is just kind of a pile...

IMG_4326.JPG

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, upjettr said:

Between $9,000-$12,000. But I would expect it to be closer to $15,000 if bought by some richie Brit. Gene Meredith, Mike Anhalt, Eric Lussier or Mark Coffman would be able to offer a more accurate idea and give real reasons. My figures are just a guess based on what I've seen, so I may be out of touch.

I'd agree with the above. Granted, the SX is probably a little more sought after, but I did sell an ALL original 1969 DL200 from Italy in pretty damn good shape for her original condition in this range. 

• Upvote 1

On 7/13/2017 at 3:00 PM, upjettr said:

That sounds fair from how it's described. Personally I'm cheap so I'd have to REALLY want a sx200 before I offered any thing near that. 

• Upvote 2

good price range, but if other buyers are interested, and they are motivated, the price can escalate in a hurry. 

• Upvote 2

Thanks a lot to all of you! Looks like there is strong consensus around the $9K-$12K mark, I think I'm going to go see the beauty in person in few days. 

• Upvote 1

The last one I followed on eBay was pulled off. Apparently the seller got an offer of $16,000. So seller of the scooter pulled it and it went to Ohio. 

That's crazy money! I got few leads I'm chasing, I'll keep you updated! Hopefully I'll be able to snatch one of those beauties very soon...it's and adventure though, big egos are involved and it's not really easy dealing with most sellers here. But I'm hopeful