Hi, greetings from Spain.

I own several Lambrettas LD of Eibar and a 125 D. I have rebuilt several engines of these bikes but the engine that is doing now, a Lambretta 125 Eibar, It has strange lubrication ducts, at the side of the flywheel. It seems that instead of lubricating the bearings with the mixture the bearings should be lubricated manually from the outside. Of course it has two seal prevent it from losing compression, and a smaller spacer. Does any of you know if there are any revision tabs on these engines that you recommend making this change?

thank you very much

IMG_5105.JPG

IMG_5104.JPG

IMG_5103.JPG

IMG_5106.JPG

IMG_4873.JPG

I thought the LD/D shaft drive engines had outside lube holes for the fly-side bearings.  Mine certainly did ('55 D150).  They have inner and outer seals:

page11.jpg

So it's not getting lube from the mix.  Regardless, pack them on assembly with modern grease and then there's no need re-grease them again.

The lube "pipes" you show I have not seen before.  This next page shows the ports I'm familiar with:

page62.jpg

• Upvote 1

Correct. I'm not familiar with the spanish ones,but all the italian ones have a grease nipple and a relief plug. 

However, the grease passages are part of the cast, those copper tubes you have in the picture look pretty odd to me. How are they sealed and how are you supposed to push grease in? How can the grease get into the bearing if everything is stacked tight with the spacer?

The engine should not lose compressor since the inner seal should take care of it, but I'm still intrigued by this thing...does it look OEM to you or maybe a modification? 

Thanks jbcollier.

It is indeed very similar. In this case the ignition is ABG, without variable advance. On your motorcycle, is the inner seal mounted in the same direction as the outer one? Does not the crankshaft rub against the lip of the seal?

Andrew, 

It looks like a modification, but perhaps by a "call to review". 

The truth is that I have looked in your forum because I remember reading about it  in a foreign forum, I do not know if English, Italian or American, a revision sheet in which this modification was recommended for the Eibar Lambretta. But on the Internet there is too much information for my old head, I do not remember where I read it.

Thanks a lot.

The two seals are mounted on the same direction and the inner does not interfere with the crank as it sits a little bit inside of the flange wall and it's retained via 3 pressure marks, so it doesn't go anywhere

P1070234.jpg

Yes but your seal is bigger than mine. The inside diameter of my seal is the same as the bearing diameter 17/40/12 mm, an SKF 6203. I think I should keep this in mind when I mount it. If you remember the measures of your inner seal please tell me ..

Thanks