Solerunner1

Serveta/Jet200 Damper Solution?

I'm sure many of you already know, but I just found out....Jet200 front damper bolts are a different size than standard dampers. The nuts appear to be one size above 8mm thread size (13/14mm socket size). Of course, standard dampers won't fit. I figure I could machine bushings to make standard dampers fit, but I'd rather not. Anyone have an easier way out of this issue? Are there new Serveta dampers made? Any tips/advice/ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

2 hours ago, Solerunner1 said:

I'm sure many of you already know, but I just found out....Jet200 front damper bolts are a different size than standard dampers. The nuts appear to be one size above 8mm thread size (13/14mm socket size). Of course, standard dampers won't fit. I figure I could machine bushings to make standard dampers fit, but I'd rather not. Anyone have an easier way out of this issue? Are there new Serveta dampers made? Any tips/advice/ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

New ones are still made: http://www.buzzsolomoto.co.uk/scooters-parts.php/dept/suspension/cat/LAM-016/order/productcode/ascend/false/id/004199

They're available in black & red too. Hope this helps!

The studs take a 9mm nut  

not a common size but a little google searching will turn up some. 

I might have some kicking around. Will try to check this week 

V3spa rear shock nut and lock washer are 9mm.  The cushdrive shaft for large frame V3spa engines is also 9mm.  It sits on the outside of the engine near the rear hub.  It is wider as well.

Buzz sells the correct 9mm (14mm socket size) nuts too.  Others have also turned down the 9mm threads to 8mm with the appropriate die so you can use M8 nuts.  Last, and most 'extreme' is to cut off the stock posts and weld on new 8mm posts.

i think the V3$p@ nuts aren't 14mm and/or are narrower/wider so not quite right.  The new BuzzSoloMoto dampers are very nice, if a little pricey.

IMG_2710.JPG

You could maybe drill out your bushings to the larger size? I am one of those people that refuses to alter original parts to fit aftermarket parts so I would always alter the new part to fit the original machine.

Thanks for the input everybody!

7 hours ago, theageofindustry said:

You could maybe drill out your bushings to the larger size? I am one of those people that refuses to alter original parts to fit aftermarket parts so I would always alter the new part to fit the original machine.

I'm the same way! No existing parts would be harmed! My other option was going to be to machine bronze bushings that would fit standard dampers to the existing posts. Thankfully it looks like I won't have to do that! It would go something like- Find a generic thinner rubber insert, or perhaps machine nylon ones, to fit the main eye of standard dampers (with all existing rubber removed). Then machine bronze sleeves, OD to fit inside the rubber/nylon and ID to fit nicely on the posts. Fairly simple set of operations, but a considerable amount of work compared to just buying a set that fits.

• Like 1