Stu aka S.Hanson #17

Double up Exhaust gasket?

Took my Rb out for its first and longest ride today.  Blew the exhaust gasket . Sucks. The exhaust studs are not threaded the entire length. Even though the exhaust manifold is as tight as I can get it, I do not feel the gasket is sufficiently crushed. Instead of removing the exhaust studs,  can I use 2 exhaust gaskets to make a tighter seal?

The exhaust stud should go all the way down so it works correctly with the gasket. If not maybe the studs are too long? I'd think two gaskets would be OK but not really the way it should be run.

Two will increase the chance of a gasket blow out since not sandwiched/supported  as well. Locate studs as Mike said or use washers... 

• Upvote 1

If the nuts run into the flat of the stud without sufficiently tightening the gasket to the flange, I'd stack washers or oversized nuts, as spacers, onto each stud before I doubled up gaskets. I've done this in various places more than I'd like to admit.

• Upvote 1

The pipe is a pm tuning. The header pipe is late 80's style. The stud on the outside of the header bend is long, the stud on the inside is short. It has to be that way or the inside stud hits the pipe. I cant stack washers on the inside  stud because it is so close to the exhaust flange. More current style pipes have the header off the exhaust flange come straight down and then make a turn. The older style starts to make a left turn off the cylinder right away. It makes clearance for the nut inside the bend, tight and difficult. I think both solutions are kind of half assed. Like buying a new part and then having to fix it to make it work.  Maybe pm tuning will redesign. Also, I was sent squishy  rubber buffers that get sandwiched between the case and pipe bracket. I am not going to use those, switching to the more stable hard plastic ones

Might have to source studs in the right length for that scenario... PM should be able to supply since they designed that...! 

If they are put all the way in, then I guess my post above should be: PM should rectify since they poorly designed it.... 

Ok, so I mounted up the pipe with the hard plastic spacers and doubled the exhaust gasket. The pipe is very solid, secure and has really good clearance between the case, cylinder shroud and pipe. Before, it was not as secure with the squishy spacers. If the exhaust gaskets blow this time I will chalk it up to the doubled gaskets and go back to a single. 

20170419_111619.jpg

20170419_111608.jpg