Solerunner1

Vapor Blasting Recommendations

I have a Series 3 engine casing that I'm looking into having vapor blasted. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with this? I don't have a place yet, so I'd be happy with any recommendations. I see there's a guy on Facebook that always mentions it. I'd prefer to use a trusted place. Any tips, advice, or approximate prices would be appreciated as well. Thanks!

• Upvote 1

I've used Green Tree Scooters in the past with good results and currently have a set with Nexgen Precision  Finishes and waiting to see their handy work.

Make sure to thoroughly strip and degrease the cases otherwise you could get charged extra if they have to do that and pack them well if you have to ship them. I use a Stanley rugged plastic tool box as a shipping container.

Thanks for the suggestions! It's definitely appreciated! 

I think it was that Nexgen place that I've seen advertised a bunch. I'd like to hear how they do!

Hi All,

Forrest at NexGen is a great guy, and he's a scooterist.  He recently cleaned up some V3$p@ SS 180 cases for me.  He lives in the south bay and I live in Alameda (about an hour apart).  He picked up and delivered the cases for free.  Here are pics of my cases.  Absolutely beautiful.  The shop is just him and his wife.  They are expecting their first child in June, so it makes me feel even better supporting him.

vespa_cases.jpg

• Upvote 2

That seems pretty fair for the amount of work that's got to be done.

I'm glad to see more people getting in to doing this level of work. It helps raise the bar.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Solerunner1 said:

Thanks for the suggestions! It's definitely appreciated! 

I think it was that Nexgen place that I've seen advertised a bunch. I'd like to hear how they do!

Adam, I will be sending you my top end in a few weeks after I get back from Nexgen. I can send you some photos beforehand if you'd like. 

Looks like you've already got a lot of great options here, but I figured I'd share my experience. I used Arnold's Design out of Ridgeway, PA. Brad was super helpful and responsive. He did a great job. He de-greased, cleaned and vapor blasted three parts for me (case, cover and flange) and he found a broken screw that he extracted for me, as well. It cost me less than $200 (not including shipping costs). I highly recommend him.

http://www.arnoldsdesign.com/index.html

• Upvote 2

Hey guys,

Forrest here with Nexgen Precision Finishes. I'm a Lambretta owner and LCUSA member. First of all, big thanks to Mike for the kind words. It was a pleasure working with you and I hope to do more for you in the future. I'm so glad you're happy with the work we did on your SS180 parts :)

Second, I realize there are shops out there with lower labor rates but they often charge for more time so you end up paying about the same as you do with us. Our rate is $100/hr, which is definitely on the low side for any industrial service in Northern California. We also offer reduced rates for shops and we have many restoration shops who send us work from all over the country all the time.

Also our attention to detail is extremely high. The work you get from us will be as flawless as possible. Lastly, we have a special process we use that makes our finishes smoother and brighter than what other vapor blasting shops are putting out. I'm not BSing when I say our work is the best, because I absolutely believe it is.

We also offer many complimentary services including machining work, welding, powder coating, polishing, anodizing, plating (cad, zinc, nickel, etc.) and just about any kind of finish you can think of. We're gearing up to be a one-stop-shop for any kind of finishing work one would need or want for their restoration project. That means you can send all of your parts to us for finishing, not just cases for vapor blasting, and each and every part will be finished according to our exacting standards.

Please email me if you have any questions as I don't check this forum often due to being very busy. My email address is fj@nexgenpf.com and our website is http://www.nexgenpf.com.

Thanks and I look forward to working with more fellow LCUSA members!

-Forrest

• Upvote 5