Sign in to follow this  
AbnMike

Engine Wiring 1969 DL 125 Non-Battery

It's come time to get it back running.  I snapped photos of all the wiring (I thought) but either accidentally deleted some or just assumed I'd remember, which I don't.  I have a couple orphan wires and I'm hoping to get some direction on these.  There are green wires from the harness that are orphans - apparently at some point the wiring harness was cut to remove the motor. When I dropped it I unplugged some of them and now can't remember how they go back together. 

Photo 1 "Green from plug to box"  I'm assuming this is correct. There's a green wire that comes off where the plug wire goes and I put it to the blue box on the engine side.  Wiring goes (from bottom) White - Green (from plug) - Double Green (to carb side) and Yellow.

Photo 2 "White Green Double Green Yellow"  A better view of how these are going together. The one I am not sure of is the solo green wire from the plug into this box, but I think that's right.

Photo 3 "Green Wire from Harness 2"  You can see this wire is short and has a bullet connector. This is one of the ones that had been cut. I believe it had a spade on it and I cut it off to make a bullet connector - I have no clue where it goes.  You can see it right above the bump stop coming directly (and cleanly) out of the harness.

Photo 4 "Blue Brown Black" This is the carb side of the motor. I am pretty sure this is how they go together.  In the unshrunk heat shrink tubing is a green wire - running from the double green in picture 2 over to the carb side.  Pretty sure these two greens went together like this.

Photo 5 "Green Wire from Harness" This is the other orphan green. You can see it loops and then goes into the harness. I am assuming, if everything else is correct, that this green wire (comes cleanly from the harness behind the tank) connects to the orphan wire in photo 3 with the bullet connector.   Is this correct?  They seem the same gauge wire (the other greens are smaller gauge).

Photo 6 "Junction Box"  I think this is correct. At the top are two brown wires - then a double green - a blue - and the harness.

Thanks!

Green from plug to box.jpg

White Green Double Green Yellow.jpg

Green Wire from harness 2.jpg

Blue Brown and Black Wiring.jpg

Green Wire from Harness 1.jpg

Junction 1.jpg

Ok as I look to my original photo of the junction box, there should be a green wire to the right of the brown and above the double green --- now I'm confused because I'm not sure which green that is.  I have two greens not connected (one with the bullet connector that couldn't possibly reach up there (by the bump stop) and one that could, but if I attach that one then what does the wire with the bullet connector connect with?

Do you have a wiring diagram? It is difficult to sort these remotely without knowing where each wire is coming from... 

I'm in the same boat. I can walk you through whatever but I'm having a hard time understanding what I'm looking at. 

A rough line drawing would do me wonders.

I bought this so I don't have any info on the conversion or whathave you. I thought I had good photos but I guess I lost them.

Couple things that would help me out:

Picture one. Should the green wire from the Coil go to the Blue CDI above the shock?  I believe it does but I want to make sure.  I'm asking from an electrical standpoint.

Picture 3 - there seems to be an orphan green wire coming out of that harness. There isn't anything for it to go to. It ends right there (it has a bullet connector on it).  There is only one wire that could possibly connect to it, but the only wire that could connect I believe goes into the Picture six junction box beneath the brown wire. My old photo shows a green there.

I'll try and draw something up if I can

I think someone got crazy with the green wires. You should have 1 green sire coming from the harness that goes to the CDI. From there you should have a green wire on the next terminal going to the coil. The green going from the engine bolt next to the the stator wires is not technically correct as it is a ground and should be white (ground) so that's definitely going to throw you off. This one:

Green Wire from harness 2.jpg

On original harnesses you will have a junction block on the left frame leg with 2 green wires coming from the harness. 1 of those leads to the ignition switch and the other goes on the cdi. The matching green terminal on the junction box plugs into the green wire coming from the stator harness.

Ok here's a drawing as I see it (I clearly didn't go to art school). 

The "Engine Side" (top) is pretty self explanatory I think. The green wire that says "to carb side" doesn't go into a harness. Currently it floats over the fender where it's joined together and drops into the Stator bundle. 

The "Carb side" (bottom) is more wonky. On the left where I wrote Bundle from Headset is the green wire from somewhere in front (comes from behind the tank so I can't see clearly). It comes out all by its lonesome.  (in the pic above I'm holding it in my fingers) I am 99% sure this goes to the open port on the Junction box. It's clearly a larger gauge wire than some of the others.  It easily makes it to the junction box and there's clearly a space for it.

The second "orphan green" above the Stator in the drawing is the one in the pic above with a bullet plug on it. I put the bullet plug on it when I had the engine out because I thought I had all my pics and could put the wiring back together.  It comes out of the harness that the (A) bundle is, but the A bundle goes into the stator.  That green wire is just there (right above the bump stop).

On the Junction box pic the wires may not be in the right space on the drawing but I have a photo of how they go. I was just showing that there are two browns (one to Stator) a Blue (from the blue/silver box above the rear wheel on the carb side). A double Green and a Pink Brown - all coming from the harness. The dG and the P/B each to to a separate port on the junction box.

So really I think it's all correct --- except for that single Green wire above the bump stop coming out of the same harness that the white, yellow, and single green are, but those all go into the stator.  That green wire may go no where, not sure. But I'm all out of wires for it to join to, there's nothing clear where it would go, it's short and it's just there.

Note: I have NOT started it up. It's in my basement still, trying to finish my restoration. I was hoping to get the wiring sorted and routed correctly before getting it out in to the cold ass garage to finish it up and try strting it.

wiring drawing.jpg

As I understand it, that green wire attached to one of the stator harness seal plate screws on the mag flange is an orphan.  Do you have any other ground wires connected to the engine case itself? If not, that's your engine ground. I'd connect it to one of the regulator mounting bolts as a ground. If you do have an engine ground in place then just eliminate it.

The green coming from under your gas tank is the kill or engine stop wire. Connect that to the junction block in the terminal that corresponds to the double green wire that is plugged into the junction block.

Pull the plug, check for spark and Bob's your uncle. 

Dug into it a bit more. The wire I'm calling "Orphan Green" on the Carb Side drawing above the Stator drawing runs up to the CDI in the top picture.

From CDI is White, Yellow, Single Green to Coil,

and Double Green (in same port) - one is the wire that is labeled "to carb side" and goes into the Stator, the second wire is the one that just stops above the bump stop and goes nowhere. So that's a ground wire? Since they run together from the CDI and one goes to the stator that sounds like it grounds out, if so why does it go to the CDI?

Ok, based on a bit more investigating here's a better drawing of what's happening.

The J box set up may not be right - just showing there is an open port where a Green wire went and should go.  I wrote which wire I believe goes there.

Did this to whow that from the CDI is a green (to coil), and a double green. They were together before, I didn't put them together.  One of them goes to the stator, not in a harness, just routed across the rear fender and down into the stator. It has been joined together with a spade plug.  The other green from this double green connection is the orphan wire right above the bump stop.

Hoping this drawing makes it more clear.

And of course my kickstart bolt has gone missing so looking for spark has to wait until I can fit one.

Wiring drawing 2.jpg

Yep, the green from the headset/harness to the green port on the J-box.

Based on the most recent drawing, you have no kill function plugged into the cdi. I'm guessing that orphan green wire is supposed to serve that function. That should be paired with all the greens in the J-box.

I should say that all of this wiring is rather unusual.  The paired double green coming from the harness into the Jbox usually consists of 1 wire feom the headset and the other wire ends at the cdi. The other green port would usually plug into the green wire on the stator.

So normally you'd have 3 wires doing all the work but yours has a surplus of green wires. My OCD wants to fly to your house and eliminate any and all extra wires. Maybe starting from scratch would be the right thing to do?

15 minutes ago, theageofindustry said:

Maybe starting from scratch would be the right thing to do?

Please no. I just got this motor back in!

So it sounds like I can take the bump stop orphan green and add a length of wire to it and tie it in to the other orphan green together into the same spot on the J box?

All the wiring is in really good shape. The harness is in great shape, etc...but yeah, there seems to be a couple wires doing extra duty or redundant...

Here's what I would do:

Take that double green going to the cdi and remove the orphan green wire from the connection.

Change the end of that same wire from a spade to a male bullet connector and plug that into the open green port on the junction box.

Take that green wire coming from under the tank and change the end from a bulket to a spade connection and plug that into the CDI where you just removed the double green.

Done.

You will then have eliminated 1 extra green wire and also wired it as it should have been done in the first place.

And remember there are 800 different ways to do the same job but the simplest is the one that uses the least amount of wires so disregard everything I have said up until that last post as I was trying to work with how the previous owner had it wired.

My last post is the best and simplest way. Do that and be done with it.

Ok I'll try that. All the wires are in shrink wrap or original wiring wrap except for the one marked "double green"  One  of the greens goes down into the stator. The second is the one with the bullet connector. They both go into the CDI together.  It's weird that green is in wrap but just comes out right at the bump stop.

The one marked Single Green (Tank) (which is in one of the first pictures held in my fingers) comes from the Harness and runs to the headset. That seems like a kill wire going into the J box.

Another question - what does the silver/blue box on the carb side do?  It has a brown and blue wire and a black ground. The black goes to the frame. The brown and blue both run to the J box and no where else. Rectifier keeping volts to 12?

Sorry for all the questions - I want to learn/know what is happening as much as getting it running. I can wire the other old Italian model scooter all day...but this is my first Lambretta

That's the regulator. It regulates the voltage spikes so you aren't blowing bulbs.

Rectifiers turn AC power into DC power for charging batteries but since you don't have a battery, it doesn't have one. 

No worries on the questions, I'm sure they will help someone else down the road so it's good for everyone.

Ok, so as I understand it and redrew it before I get into wiring (I'm clearly not a wiring/electrical guy).

I've attached another drawing that simplifies it as it is now. I've attached as well the two original set ups of the J box and CDI.

So what you want me to do is:

1: Remove the "bump stop orphan" green from the CDI and just plug back in the Green to Stator wire alone.

2: Plug the green "from harness to headset" into its original spot as noted on my new drawing.

3: not sure what to do next. As I understand it I need a green from the J box back to the CDI correct (since the green wire from headset/harness is the kill wire from there and needs to get back to the CDI and then to the Stator)?  Seems I should take the "orphan green" and plug it into the J box in one of the two unused Greens on the J box left side (there was never a wire there) and then run it to the CDI.  But since there aren't any more connections to the CDI it seems I should actually keep it a double (one to stator) and plug it into one of those two unused green circles on my drawing/photo?

originial CDI.jpg

original J box.jpg

new drawing 2.jpg

My explanation on what to do involves 1 assumption:

The double green going into the junction box IS the wire from the headset. 1 of those greens goes to the headset and the other goes back into the harness and comes out as that single green under the fuel tank.  

So to reiterate, take this double green connection:

19 minutes ago, AbnMike said:

originial CDI.jpg

Remove it from the cdi. Take the orphan green off of it and chuck it in the trash. Change the plug to a male bullet connector and plug it into the junction box next to the double green that's already plugged in.

Take the green coming from under the tank and put a spade connector on it and plug it into the CDI.

fin.

So Headset Green to CDI.

CDI Double Green Remove from CDI.  Change to Single Green (discard extra) and plug into Jbox (meaning it runs direct from Stator to J box).

Got it.

I'm assuming, as you are apparently, that the Headset Green goes up into the harness somewhere and ties in some how to the harness up in the headset and then gets back to the CDI, correct? Otherwise the CDI seems isolated from the J box.

Success (in theory)!

Wired as you stated.  Key off and I was pushing the kickstarter gently (since my bolt is stripped and it's just barely on there): No spark.

Key on: spark.

Since that second green was running through shrink wrap I just snipped it off at both ends.

Thanks!

• Upvote 1