Solerunner1

Opinions on exhaust coating/painting wanted

Hey everybody! Some of you may know that I'm getting into the expansion chamber manufacturing game...on a very small scale. Small batches of a few lambretta pipes of my own design. I've been trying to decide on what finish to go with when selling. I had originally wanted to do a straight bare/oiled version, like the BGM big box, but the coloring/bluing isn't to my standard yet. I've decided to do some form of coating. Getting a simple satin black high temp (ceramic?) paint and doing it myself is top choice currently. Personally I always thought chrome was a bit too much. Some of the english guys seem to like BBQ paint for easy maintenance. That's real simple! 

But what have you guys done, bought, liked, disliked? Opinions and thoughts are welcome! Thanks!

Personally I would go unfinished or the BBQ paint route. Ceramic is ideal but then your costs go up. Push that onto the buyer so they can make that choice themselves. When you offer something finished/painted you are guaranteeing that finish will last X amount of time. Chances are it won't and then you'll be bogged down trying to satisfy all the complaints. This is why BGM stopped offering coated exhausts. They may offer them again in the future if they can find something more durable.

• Upvote 1

I would love to see some pictures....! Any interest in making some for yamaha rd125 & rd200 's? I would buy a few sets if the price was right! 

The satin black ceramic works well if you heat cure it and the steel it is going on is clean, that includes fingerprints, 'cause fingerprints are nice little dollops of oil which don't hold paint well.

49 minutes ago, dirtyhandslopez said:

The satin black ceramic works well if you heat cure it and the steel it is going on is clean, that includes fingerprints, 'cause fingerprints are nice little dollops of oil which don't hold paint well.

Sanding it all down and cleaning isn't a problem. You mean a "ceramic spray can" type of system? 

59 minutes ago, TRs said:

I would love to see some pictures....! Any interest in making some for yamaha rd125 & rd200 's? I would buy a few sets if the price was right! 

When I get the system down, I'd get into anything 2 stroke, but I would also need one in order to design a set to fit the bike correctly. I've still got a ways to go, but coming along nicely!

1 hour ago, MarkH said:

Personally I would go unfinished or the BBQ paint route.

Your entire comment was very helpful (thanks!), but the "BBQ paint" is my favorite part! Makes my job easier! haha. Then I guess it's easy to strip off if you did want to do some other kind of coating. That's a good point. If they come ceramic coated out of the box, you're kind of forcing them into the color/type you give them.

Here's a few pics. The silencers are all machined, 5 pipes welded out of 8. Gotta do spring clips, mounting bracket bushings, pipe mounting, pack silencers, order boxes, coating/painting of some kind, then ship out. I have to take a bit of a break though, because I'm backed up on kits currently. When I'm done with these, I wanna try to get a few ser 3 pipes out the door, then maybe another batch of these.

I also plan on being able to make custom silencers to any ID, OD, length, aluminum or carbon fiber outer tubing, for any pipe. These first ones have "reversed end caps" so they bolt together, making re-packing (or re-painting) easier. 

IMG_1486.JPG

IMG_1457.JPG

IMG_1514.JPG

IMG_1495.JPG

• Upvote 5

I have always really liked the Toomey tips, looks like the one you are making is also going to be nice and being easily serviceable - awesome! 

If there isn't a cheap rd available in your area, maybe we could work something out where I can tack a pair together and you could make 5 copies? 

7 hours ago, TRs said:

I have always really liked the Toomey tips, looks like the one you are making is also going to be nice and being easily serviceable - awesome! 

If there isn't a cheap rd available in your area, maybe we could work something out where I can tack a pair together and you could make 5 copies? 

Yeah, we can definitely work something out like that!. I have the knowledge and formulas for design. We can chat about it privately, so we don't bother everyone else with the details. ha. 

On 1/31/2017 at 9:56 PM, Solerunner1 said:

Sanding it all down and cleaning isn't a problem. You mean a "ceramic spray can" type of system? 

Yep, good 'ol rattle can.

I have all my exhausts ceramic coated locally. Typically they run about $75 per pipe. That price can go down with a multi pipe job though.

Black, silver, white, red, orange and cad/gold (I haven't seen it yet but I'm told is very unique looking).

1 hour ago, Mike Anhalt said:

I have all my exhausts ceramic coated locally. Typically they run about $75 per pipe. That price can go down with a multi pipe job though.

Black, silver, white, red, orange and cad/gold (I haven't seen it yet but I'm told is very unique looking).

We have a place near us that does our powder coating and blasting cheap. It's probably wise to check with them for a price. I assume that stuff holds up quite well? And doesn't change color with the heat of running over long periods? 

On 2/2/2017 at 6:11 PM, Solerunner1 said:

We have a place near us that does our powder coating and blasting cheap. It's probably wise to check with them for a price. I assume that stuff holds up quite well? And doesn't change color with the heat of running over long periods? 

The exhaust on my riverside was coated about 10 years ago and has held up great. I think it's got about 3000 miles on it. The finish is a little flat now but it just needs to get polished. 

Powder coating won't hold up at the downtube, but the high heat stuff can coat the exhaust body fine.