Just now, Lambrettayeroc said:

Interesting bike. I bet it's had quite a history it could tell. 

Greets,

ja, the story behind it was that it was owned by a bronx cop who purchased it from at nypd auction. The bike was used mainly in the South Bronx for traffic duty. In the early 70's after I assume the few original Innocenti NYPD Lambretta's served they were put out the pasture after parts became less available. The original Italian (Green and White) bikes had given way to the Spanish Servertas. Which sported green and white paint schemes for a brief period before switching over to the Blue and White pattern which is in use by the NYPD to this day. How the bike got from the Bronx to Minnesota (Where I bought it) is another story.

However I was friends with the leader of 'The Regulars', the then main scoot club of the Twin Cities area. Jeremy was liquidating his entire scoot collection and letting bikes for basically nothing. If memory serves me he sold his Great condition DL200 for something like $1100, Blue badge V3$p@ for $1000 and All States for $250. he had the LI/SX in a crate and told me that it was a project. He assumed it to be a standard LI150 but didn't understand why it had an SX headset. The bike was sprayed painted neon green and red. It looked horrible. I took a closer look at it and saw Innocenti stamped on everything. So I bought it. It sat in my storage for some time until I had time to really look at it. Later I saw what looked like dark green paint under the spray painted neon. I looked up the paint scheme and could not find anything online. Though eventually I came across Gene's page on the Nypd cop bikes. The colour of my bike's covered up paint looked a lot like the photos I researched of the old NYPD bikes. I did more research and realized that the numbers on my bike were quite odd too.

I assumed that the bike could be one of those Serverta Lambrettas so I called up Brooklynbretta. The guy there told me over the phone that it was a Serverta and that all old nypd bikes were servertas. He kept telling me that my bike has the air filter vents, etc. Despite explaining to him that it did not. Eventually he believed me and then began to urge me to sell it to him. Brooklynbretta offered me a clean complete Indian GP, shipped free of charge to my door for my then 'project' NYPD special. It was explained to me that the bike was "not worth much" and that I should sell it or take the trade for the Indian bike. Though I greatly appreciated his kindness. I was not going to fall for letting go of me bike. The name Innocenti is legendary and there are far fewer of these Italian made examples in the west. Anyhow though they were not the first chaps who have tried to convince me that my bike is "worthless". Indeed it is a good joke, however though I began the process of putting the ol girl back together. A task that I take much pride in. I shall not make this bike a daily rider as its history and value as a cultural relic should be preserved. Perhaps I may sell it one day in the future. As for trades, the only thing I would trade her for would perhaps be an Italian SX200 or a V3$p@ GS160. But even then I do cherish the NYPD bike quite a bit and parting with it would not be easy. These bikes have a spirit and the essence of those Italian craftsman lives on in these machines. Italians are masters of art and for me Lambretta is art in the most modernist and purest sense.

The Bike was garaged kept almost all of its life. So there is little to no rust on the thing. A lot of weird stuff got preserved too. Like some sort of marker writing on the back of the toolbox door. It looks like perhaps writing/markings from the Milan factory? I will take a photo of it and put it on the forum. When I bought the bike I received a lot of extra stuff too like extra floorboards, rims and more. All stamped with Innocenti from the 1960's. When the bike was sole to me I was told that it was partially in the middle of a rebuild in the mid 70's. So I received it's piston new in the (old) box, the barrel had been bored out to 175cc and never run in. A lot of the parts have the same innocent stamp, w/letters, which is prominent on everything.

I was very lucky to get this bike. I shall continue to take care of her and bring her back to life.

on the odd side again. just out of curiosity I listed the bike online once and got a contact from a head person at the Denver Sheriffs department, they wanted to buy the bike in its current partially assembled state for $10,000. I was quite taken back by the offer. Though it was quite nice I had to pass, though I do want to ensure that this bike one day finds its way into a private collection or museum of some sort.

• Upvote 3
  • 2 weeks later...

"You aren't quite correct in some of what you say. There were 3 stages of machines:"

???

What in the blazes are you taking about?

The Innocenti Lambretta NYPD special was painted Green and white. Mine was green and white.

The Serverta models were typically the blue and white colour which is in use still today on police vehicals. But when first introduced the Serverta versions were originally green and white too for a brief period of time.

How am I incorrect in this information? As for the complete history of the NYPD Lambretta, please chat with Gene at Scoot Originali. A lot of the information I received came from his research. He has a more accurate archive of information about the police bikes. By the way, New Jersey (Newark PD I think) also received a few Lambrettas as well. Those machines were all white I think.

As for one mystery about me Lammie. I have a small hole on my legshield just under where the Lambretta logo goes. It looks like a drilled hole for some sort of device. I doubt crash bars as there would need be two holes. I assume that the legshield had a light or something attached to it.  Perhaps?

Oi

2 minutes ago, J. Pleasant said:

"You aren't quite correct in some of what you say. There were 3 stages of machines:"

???

What in the blazes are you taking about?

The Innocenti Lambretta NYPD special was painted Green and white. Mine was green and white.

The Serverta models were typically the blue and white colour which is in use still today on police vehicals. But when first introduced the Serverta versions were originally green and white too for a brief period of time.

How am I incorrect in this information? As for the complete history of the NYPD Lambretta, please chat with Gene at Scoot Originali. A lot of the information I received came from his research. He has a more accurate archive of information about the police bikes. By the way, New Jersey (Newark PD I think) also received a few Lambrettas as well. Those machines were all white I think.

As for one mystery about me Lammie. I have a small hole on my legshield just under where the Lambretta logo goes. It looks like a drilled hole for some sort of device. I doubt crash bars as there would need be two holes. I assume that the legshield had a light or something attached to it.  Perhaps?

Oi

Did you read what I wrote?

1. Innocenti, painted Green and White (which you have, and I believe Gene has)
  2. Eibar, painted all White (Which is what I have)
  3. Serveta, painted Blue and White (which is the most common one you see)

3 stages. Innocenti, Eibar, Serveta.

I think you need to check again with Gene (By the way, we are running a FB page on classic scooter emergency vehicles).

Here's mine:

IMG_0029.JPG

• Upvote 1

Dank u wel for your reply.

I still do not fully understand the meaning behind your post in regards to correcting me on information that has already been proven to be accurate. I assume you are commenting on the current colour of my bike? Please note that my Lambretta was originally green and white and is an Italian made Lambretta. It is not a Eibar/Serverta. . As for the Eibar/Serverta Lambretta. I am already aware of those as I stated. The Serverta nypd bikes were in large order. Though Eibar/Servertas, LML, Sil, Bajaj and other scooter clones are nice and good. My main focus is on Italian made bikes.

Gene is a great guy. I will check out his new FB page when I have time. Thank you for the link.

19 minutes ago, J. Pleasant said:

Dank u wel for your reply.

I still do not fully understand the meaning behind your post in regards to correcting me on information that has already been proven to be accurate. I assume you are commenting on the current colour of my bike? Please note that my Lambretta was originally green and white and is an Italian made Lambretta. It is not a Eibar/Serverta. . As for the Eibar/Serverta Lambretta. I am already aware of those as I stated. The Serverta nypd bikes were in large order. Though Eibar/Servertas, LML, Sil, Bajaj and other scooter clones are nice and good. My main focus is on Italian made bikes.

Gene is a great guy. I will check out his new FB page when I have time. Thank you for the link.

Now I understand where the confusion lies. Not referring to the colour of your scoot. Absolutely, as Innocenti, it should be Green and White.

I was pointing out that you said there were only 2 combinations, green and White or Blue and White. I was pointing out that you missed the middle version, which was All White.

'The original Italian (Green and White) bikes had given way to the Spanish Servertas. Which sported green and white paint schemes for a brief period before switching over to the Blue and White pattern which is in use by the NYPD to this day.'

So that should say:

'The Original Italian (Green and White) bikes gave way to the Spanish Eibar Lambrettas, which were all white, and then to the Spanish Serveta. Which switched over to the Blue and White pattern which is in use by the NYPD to this day.'

• Upvote 1

Ah ja Thank you and thanks for the addy on the fb group. I also commented on Gene's concerns about my Lambretta page. I hope that I addressed that issue properly. I never received a message about the content. However I made a public apology on the police and service fb group and offered to further tag the content with a clickable link to scooter originali. I always maintained a link to gene's site on my scooter pages as well as in my meta tags. I have and shall continue to be supportive of Gene, scooter originali and the entire Lambretta community as a whole. I would like to update the information on my lambretta page to reflect many of the new discoveries Gene has made over the years. I have always viewed Gene as a friend and pillar of the usa Lambretta community.

Lets work together. ; )

• Upvote 1

Ah ja Thank you and thanks for the addy on the fb group. I also commented on Gene's concerns about my Lambretta page. I hope that I addressed that issue properly. I never received a message about the content. However I made a public apology on the police and service fb group and offered to further tag the content with a clickable link to scooter originali. I always maintained a link to gene's site on my scooter pages as well as in my meta tags. I have and shall continue to be supportive of Gene, scooter originali and the entire Lambretta community as a whole. I would like to update the information on my lambretta page to reflect many of the new discoveries Gene has made over the years. I have always viewed Gene as a friend and pillar of the usa Lambretta community.

Lets work together. ; )

5 hours ago, J. Pleasant said:

Lets work together. ; )

Glad we got to the end of the confusion.

Trust me, I used Gene quite a bit to get mine correct, although we fortunately had quite a few bits left to go from.

On 1/29/2017 at 2:22 PM, J. Pleasant said:

Frame # 742,902

Your VIN falls within most of the documented regular 1967 Li150 Series 3 before Innocenti stopped manufacturer. But yours might be one of the first one(s) sent over on spec before NYPD decided to place the order to import?  I speculate this because the only thing out of the norm (SX engine, SX headset, Keyswitch, etc., that you seem to have), as Gene has so well documented, is your metal tool box. 

Greets, ja it is quite an unusual bike. The panels and mud guard are/were absolutely forest green. The toolbox is metal, however the bike has a bench seat and not the duel seat setup often found on stock LI's. There is also a keyed ignition switch, no chrome ring. Has SX headset, *LI150 engine registry. Rebored to 175cc, weird hole in leg shield, as if to support a light of some sort. Could have been a very, very early nypd bike? or some sort of prototype set up to influence the nypd to make a bulk order? Strange writing has been found on the body panel also. Will take a photo of it for you lot to see.

oi

According to M and M Lambretta (website no longer working-I got some pages from the waybackmachine) your scooter was manufactured in January of 1967: "Production numbers are the work of Paolo Catani and based on the original data sheets found in 1989.  It covers all models, year by year and month by month."

I found a copy of those production numbers here:  http://www.lambrettaclubcalabria.it/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/lambretta-modelli-numeri-di-telaio-e-anno-di-costruzione.pdf

On 2/8/2017 at 6:17 PM, starreem said:

Your VIN falls within most of the documented regular 1967 Li150 Series 3 before Innocenti stopped manufacturer. But yours might be one of the first one(s) sent over on spec before NYPD decided to place the order to import?  I speculate this because the only thing out of the norm (SX engine, SX headset, Keyswitch, etc., that you seem to have), as Gene has so well documented, is your metal tool box. 

Wow that is so interesting!

Also Dank u wel starreem for the info! I plan to update my scooter pages in the near future. I will also add man new links and offer further support to our community, including featuring a link to the Lambretta Club USA.

Oi

• 2 years later...

Though it has been a long time coming. I am working to get the Lammie prepared with hopes of arriving to St Augustine 2020. I have spoken with Jet200 and am putting together a new parts list. It would be an honour to meet others and present this unusual bit of history, LI/SX NYPD bike and learn more about its origins.

• Upvote 1