darbsclt

Italy Tour Suggestions

It looks like my GF, her daughter and I will be touring Italy this summer.  

Unfortunately this means no Jammy and, sadly, it won't coincide with Euro Lambretta.  Still, it's Italy, right?

That said, I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for scooter-related sights/sites in the following areas... Rome, Florence, Pisa, Monterosso (Cinque Terre), Venice

We'll be train hopping... so any sites would need to be somewhat centrally located to these areas.  I'm thinking along the lines of... groovy shops, parts flea markets, scooter/transportation museums, etc.

Cheers,

Charlie

• Upvote 1

Besides the Piaggio museum which was great, and very near the train station, we had a great time with Vittorio in his museum at Casa Lambretta.  It is not close to the train (we had a car), an a bit outside of Milan, but I'm sure a taxi wouldn't be bad if you made it that far north.

• Upvote 2

Thanks guys... I wasn't aware of the Piaggio Museum.  It seems to be only 5 min from the station.  Because we'll be stopping along that route in Empoli to meet up with an old work friend for lunch, the Pontedera stop looks very promising.

Since I've travelled through Italy a handful of times for business... this trip is really for my GF and her daughter; hence the usual tourist destinations.  I'm hopeful, however, that I can incorporate a few scooter-related stops for me.

Keep the ideas coming...

And this place:  http://www.ilselvatico.net/

Check it out on Google Maps!

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.1128207,10.0024362,3a,75y,99.98h,91.44t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s_gjeurcSX4coe_exuHoqSQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

I've never been, but its close-ish to Pisa, closer to the port town of La Spezia.  If you're going to Cinque Terre, then go here too.  Seeing the marble up in Carrara is always cool also.  My family is from the Viareggio/Torre Del Lago/Lucca area.

Next time I'm in Italy, I'm stopping here.

Mike

• Upvote 1

The Piaggio museum is cool, but the Casa museum is incredible. Truly amazing right outside Milan.

• Upvote 4

Thanks for the comments...

The girls voted for Venice over Milan... (sigh).  Having already been to Milan, I couldn't really argue too much.  I was hoping that there might be some interesting Scooter-related sights in the cities planned.  I'd love to hit a scooter flea market in these areas but I'm having a hard time figuring out where they might be listed or if they even are.

For Venice we actually stayed in Campalto, a few minutes' shuttle ride from the Venice train station.  There's a modern 'IKEA-like' hotel there that was super, reasonable and 1/2 block from the best wood fired pizza we ever had - then or since.  It's a quiet place and was a nice change after 3 days in Rome.

• Upvote 1

Should be heading to Milan and thereabouts in September. Will be Booking shortly.

• Upvote 1

Don't forget opera at La Scala.  (I saw Otello last year)

WW

• Upvote 1

So many Air BnB accommodations to chose from in Venice. Arriving there on an overnight train is a fun way to start a visit.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Tinker said:

So many Air BnB accommodations to chose from in Venice. Arriving there on an overnight train is a fun way to start a visit.

We've had pretty good success with ABnB and the GF has picked ABnB hosts for all of our Italian stops, including Venice.  While we won't be taking an overnight train from Monterosso to Venice... I've often taken night trains through Europe and agree, it's a nice way to start a city's visit.

I scooted through Tuscany and to Cinque Terre last fall (with a Venice trip by train) and also 4 years ago. If you'll have wheels, I have some recommendations for incredible roads. The train scenery isn't nearly as scenic. My favorite town was Lucca. The ladies might enjoy walking or biking (rentals aren't expensive) atop the wall surrounding old Lucca. I've been to both the Piaggio and Lambrettta museums; for either one, if you can bribe the ladies into going it will be well worth it.

• Upvote 4

Hi, I'm originallly from Italy (north) so I'm familiar with the area...quick question: how long will you be there for? When you mention  Rome, Florence, Pisa, Monterosso (Cinque Terre), Venice ...are those the places where you have already booked airbnb?  Will you be renting a car for the whole stay?

Just asking because Bologna is halfay between Florence and Venice, if you travel from Cingue Terre you'll probably go through it anyways...the area surrounding Bologna is home for Ducati, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Pagani among the others. The Piaggio museum is close to Pisa, Lambretta is in Milan so it's off the map. 

One other thing to consider...I remember there was a rental place in Florence that rented vintage V3$p@ and Lambretta...you may be able to rent it for a day an travel from Florence to Siena through the Chianti region, very scenic and worth every dollar.

• Upvote 2

On 1/24/2017 at 1:06 AM, Andrew ITA said:

Hi, I'm originallly from Italy (north) so I'm familiar with the area...quick question: how long will you be there for? When you mention  Rome, Florence, Pisa, Monterosso (Cinque Terre), Venice ...are those the places where you have already booked airbnb?  Will you be renting a car for the whole stay?

Just asking because Bologna is halfay between Florence and Venice, if you travel from Cingue Terre you'll probably go through it anyways...the area surrounding Bologna is home for Ducati, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Pagani among the others. The Piaggio museum is close to Pisa, Lambretta is in Milan so it's off the map. 

One other thing to consider...I remember there was a rental place in Florence that rented vintage V3$p@ and Lambretta...you may be able to rent it for a day an travel from Florence to Siena through the Chianti region, very scenic and worth every dollar.

Thanks Andrew,

Yes, the cities are firm and rooms booked.  We'll be train hopping instead of driving... that limits our ability to venture out and about.  I've given some thought to renting a scooter to do just this... but my GF was not very encouraging - I think she's concerned for her teenage daughter.  A buddy of mine and his wife may tag along with us though; if so, he & I might each rent one to explore the area while the girls do something else. 

• Upvote 1