Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Solerunner1

East Coast/Mid West Scooter Racing/Track Time

Recommended Posts

Hey guys, I wanted to let everyone know on here that there's talks on setting up some vintage scooter races in the NY/PA/OH area next year. I've been really into trying some racing but there hasn't been much here in the states (or at least east coast) in quite a while. AD (lives in WV currently) was at my place last week and we started taking about getting things going again. I'm new, but he used to race in the 90's. If anyone is interested in trying racing, just playing around on a track, or knows someone who is, let me/us know! 

We have a place set up in OH (G & J Kartway), probably central PA (Beaver Valley), and maybe more. No dates yet, and I'm sure no proper rules/points system this year, just some track fun! Seems like some simple leathers and safety wire oil plugs is about all you'd need. We could definitely use some help and participation! It's a closed group, but I added the Facebook link. 

 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/576874949173804/

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I absolutely will Stu! I assume we'd be looking at either June or August, with LJ in July. I've got a race frame here, but a long way to go on it! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was chatting about this to Dean(deanspeed) the other day, let us know how its shaping up, some west coasters I'm sure would be interested

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm interested as well. Never raced scooters, but I've been doing track days for some time, and raced the miniGP series. I'd be happy to teach a beginner clas on track skills: lines, body position, etiquette and the like. 

If if you haven't already, prob worth calling Oakland Valley Race Park in Cuddeback Ny. They're nice guys, and have lots of open track for cheap. 

I don't do the Facetubes, so please keep this updated!

 

Rob

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Keep this moving.

I'd be interested in something, moved over here just as ESRA was dying its slow death, so missed out. Only kept up the racing by going back to Europe for vacations and dragging my scooters out and doing a bit of racing in Germany.

I think the most important thing is focus on creating something fun and competitive, the production class has taken off really well last year in U.K. And is a good example.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Rob_H said:

 

If if you haven't already, prob worth calling Oakland Valley Race Park in Cuddeback Ny. They're nice guys, and have lots of open track for cheap. 

 

Rob

I haven't called them yet, but I've heard of that one and that was on my list. 

 

Right now, we're looking at a date at G & J raceway in OH, and one in late august with the moped guys. That's up by syracuse somewhere. That'll be 2 races this year and we'll see how it turns out. Depending on how it goes, we can add Oakland Valley next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm guessing you are just keeping it to two "invitationals" to test the water for interest? There is also Circleville race park in Columbus,  oh, and beaver run by Pittsburgh.  Have you run g and j before? I tried to look at pictures but couldn't see details.  What's the run off like? Depending on what direction you ride Circleville,  there was a chain link fence about 10 feet off the track at the end of the straight. Always made me nervous.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I think 2 is safe for this year. Last year AD did one at G & J, gave plenty of warning on the date and info....and no one showed up at all. Just him. He could tell you more about the track. If we get good turn out, I'm sure we'd be happy to do more!

I do still plan on seeing what's around me, which is obviously easiest for me....but also good for NY and Northeast guys. And if it's near NYC I can "almost" guarantee to have at least 3 racers. Out near Pittsburg and OH and 1 or 2 or them might drop off due to the distance and time required. 

AD also had a good point to make the meets at rallies when possible, like Summit Point used to be i guess. I never went to those. I wish I had!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Solerunner1 said:

Yeah, I think 2 is safe for this year. Last year AD did one at G & J, gave plenty of warning on the date and info....and no one showed up at all. Just him. He could tell you more about the track. If we get good turn out, I'm sure we'd be happy to do more!

I do still plan on seeing what's around me, which is obviously easiest for me....but also good for NY and Northeast guys. And if it's near NYC I can "almost" guarantee to have at least 3 racers. Out near Pittsburg and OH and 1 or 2 or them might drop off due to the distance and time required. 

AD also had a good point to make the meets at rallies when possible, like Summit Point used to be i guess. I never went to those. I wish I had!! 

Yeah I remember lots of people 'interested' and 'building scooters' and then only AD showed up. Which is exactly what concerns me. I don't mind throwing money into a competitive lambretta as I have a pretty good arsenal of parts, but I'm not going to waste my time if that is likely to happen. We'll see I guess, I hope I'm wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last time I believe the event was posted and discussed only on facebook. I'm sure that did not help. I knew nothing about it and had at the time 3 track bikes. Working on one now specifically for this event. A race organizer/contact (adam) will help out a lot especially if he gets a commitment personally from each person.  Kind of like wrangling a herd of cats...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, charliefentonsboy said:

Yeah I remember lots of people 'interested' and 'building scooters' and then only AD showed up. Which is exactly what concerns me. I don't mind throwing money into a competitive lambretta as I have a pretty good arsenal of parts, but I'm not going to waste my time if that is likely to happen. We'll see I guess, I hope I'm wrong.

Personally, I wouldn't throw a ton of money into a bike just for these events, unless it's something you're into building for fun. The first place to start is to get people out to the track. If we are interested in doing it, then it's gotta start somewhere. With my current work load I probably won't get to building a specific bike, and will probably just take the lights out of my Li175, safety wire stuff, go have fun, and probably lose badly. 

 

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Last time I believe the event was posted and discussed only on facebook. I'm sure that did not help. I knew nothing about it and had at the time 3 track bikes. Working on one now specifically for this event. A race organizer/contact (adam) will help out a lot especially if he gets a commitment personally from each person.  Kind of like wrangling a herd of cats...

It was only done on facebook. I should have thrown it out on LCUSA last time and didn't. I also didn't make last years meet, though I had planned on it. That's all my fault.

That's one reason I like doing one close to me. If I just get a track, I can probably get Heather, Eric, Rhodes, Greg, and myself for some good fun. If no one else shows up, we'll still have a turnout to help establish a meet. It's tough to get motivated if you figure turnout will be low...then of course, turnout is low, which kills motivation...and on and on and on....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll ride. May be a V*spa, tho, as I don't care about it ?

I can almost guarantee you don't need to safety wire. Be careful about throwing things like that out, removing lights, etc. It makes it intimidating for people who have no experience w it and are only interested in trying it. 

Track time is easy. You can ride to the track, run what you brung, and ride home. We dont even have coolant to worry about. RTV goop on an oil plug is usually fine, if that (doubtful anything is required) and painters tape over glass is plenty. Don't even need to turn the lights off.

Leathers often aren't even required, just gauntlet gloves and boots. I'd recommend them, though, or at least high quality textile. 

I've never heard of track time in the east, or I'd be there. I'd be very interested in Pitt Race, especially if I could combine it w something on the big track. 

Excited about this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/27/2017 at 11:12 PM, Rob_H said:

 

I can almost guarantee you don't need to safety wire. Be careful about throwing things like that out, removing lights, etc. It makes it intimidating for people who have no experience w it and are only interested in trying it. 

Track time is easy. You can ride to the track, run what you brung, and ride home. We dont even have coolant to worry about. RTV goop on an oil plug is usually fine, if that (doubtful anything is required) and painters tape over glass is plenty. Don't even need to turn the lights off.

I always thought those were safety measures laid out by the track. If the track doesn't require them, then I don't think we would enforce any rules above and beyond. I don't yet own a set of leathers, but I do feel pretty strongly on decent "sliding" gear....especially after experiencing last summer how painful sliding on pavement can be. That sucked. I wouldn't want to see that happen to anyone.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's up to what the insurance company says requiring safety measures.  Safety wiring is super easy, they have these washers you can use in place of special bolts.  Depending on the track and who you are sharing time with you probably will need that.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's up to the track and what org is running it, generally. I've run about a dozen, and have never had to safety wire (I do, as I don't want to be a guy who oils a track), but did have to do so when racing.  

Never seen an oil plug washer that's safety wired, and I've done tech inspection. Only seen it for brake calipers. Seems interesting and easy. How would a washer keep an oil bolt/plug from backing out though?

I hate safety wiring.  Drilling small bolts is a nightmare. Luckily you can get predrilled pretty easy, and I bet we have someone w a drill press that could do a bunch of oil plugs. Can't imagine what else would need to be wired  

Good sliding gear is key! There are good leathers that can be had for cheap. Look at the WERA forums for good deals. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So what's going g on with this? Is it still on? I don't have Facebook so I can't see what's up and when I try to see on Facebook thru other people's accounts it's a closed group. Doesn't seem promotional friendly. Should I still be building or has this sputtered out?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As of now, nothing. Bummer. The moped race in August is the same weekend as Northern Aggression, which our group is going to. I think AD is planning on moving to Nicaragua, so he's probably out. It is a closed Facebook group, but if someone asks to be invited, they'll be accepted. "Scooter Racing Community Council"

That said, I'm still game. I was thinking maybe line up a weekend at either Beaver Valley (that's the spot you know?) or Oakland Valley in NY. Even if we can get a fun time for a few of us, I'd be willing do that! I'll message AD right now and see what he says.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I started the CORSA there were a couple considerations I had:

1: 24 hour scooter race. 1 Scooter per team. As many members per team as you could con into joining, most laps in 24 hours was the winner.

2: 1 day wrenching, tire changing, fixing a scooter, skills course (like the European 6 day trials), followed by 1 day racing on a track. Combined top score in day 1 and then laps on day 2 was the winner.

3: Road map course on day 1, followed by lap course on a track day 2. Fastest Day 1 plus most laps in time period on day 2 was the winner.
 

Point? I really really wanted to make track racing a part of the CORSA. Unfortunately it never panned out.  I don't have much to offer anymore except time and talk, but if anyone could get hold of a track to do something like this on, I'd be more than willing to help guide the CORSA: IFP back to what I intended it to be - maybe a 1 day cross-country map reading ride, followed by a track day.

I think that the CORSA in its current configuration (2 day race, moving around the (East Coast) Country) is great, especially since I never considered it would still be going...what? 9 years? I can't remember when it first started...but I think it would be even better with one day road riding and 1 day track riding. Easier to spectate, too.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...