Sam Lock

How much for a paint job

I am starting to look for a painter in the DC area and wondered if anyone has any recommendations. 

Prices paid? Nothing fancy. Base and clear coat.

Thanks

That's still a pretty big question. Any paint job of any real quality will run in the 3k and up range. Don't forget the cost of breaking down and rebuilding the bike, replacing badges and consumables (rubber trim, rails, tires and tubes). 

I know it's not D.C. area, but I think your 2 to 2 and a half hours away. I use K and K auto body in Enola (suburb of Harrisburg,  PA ) . They have painted more than 10 bikes for me. I have paid anywhere from $800 (no bodywork just color for a race bike) to $1200 for paint and bodywork not including stripping/blasting and welding. The biggest cost of painting a bike is the bodywork. If it's in rough shape it will cost you more. I use Shreiberts sandblasting in Elizabethtown, PA. Also, painters are sloow. If you want your project done be spring you should have had it at the painters by october.....

8 hours ago, Mike Anhalt said:

That's still a pretty big question. Any paint job of any real quality will run in the 3k and up range. Don't forget the cost of breaking down and rebuilding the bike, replacing badges and consumables (rubber trim, rails, tires and tubes). 

Mike, thanks for the reply. Yeah, I realize that was a pretty open ended question and there are a lot of variables. My bike it totally torn down and all rubbers removed, bearings and seals removed from hubs, etc. Old paint is still on most of it though. No dents or tears in bodywork. I will be doing the rebuild myself. 

1 hour ago, Stu said:

I know it's not D.C. area, but I think your 2 to 2 and a half hours away. I use K and K auto body in Enola (suburb of Harrisburg,  PA ) . They have painted more than 10 bikes for me. I have paid anywhere from $800 (no bodywork just color for a race bike) to $1200 for paint and bodywork not including stripping/blasting and welding. The biggest cost of painting a bike is the bodywork. If it's in rough shape it will cost you more. I use Shreiberts sandblasting in Elizabethtown, PA. Also, painters are sloow. If you want your project done be spring you should have had it at the painters by october.....

Thanks Stu, That is right around the quotes I am getting for a stripped down bike with no dents or tears / fabrication needed. Basic paint.... base and clear coats. I wish your guy was closer because I would really like to use your recommendation. Might be worth the drive.

That is good to know about their speed.

Powdercoating is worth looking into for the parts that aren't shine worthy.  The durability is also key.  I had those parts dipped and coated for cheap in Highlandtown, Baltimore, with a fairly fast turnaround.  Just tape off what you don't want coated and choose from their 6 wonderful options.  Looking now at some of my painted parts, I wish I had some of them powdercoated as well.  Floorboards, glovebox door, the bridge piece, front fender, these all wear from scuffs.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Stu said:

does that $1200 include materials/supplies like etch prime, primer, reducer, paint, hardner, sand paper, etc? 

• Upvote 1

Yup. I take my blasted, welded parts to them. Talk about color.  I pick them up what seems like 3 months later all shiney and perfect and hand over 1200 (aprox) . I like my paint jobs. My painter does a great job. 

A lot of painters charge the kind of prices that only insurance company's swallow. Like $2500/5000  for a motorcycle tank, rear fender and frame. 

• Upvote 1

Brand is ppg. Beyond that, I don't know. Sometimes it's a whole bike (43 peices)  sometimes it minus the glovebox, air neck and airbox. They have been painting my bikes and a friend with the other brand of scoot for the past  19 years. No bubbling, no rusty hand prints no problems. They did my tv rb a little while ago and just did the silver and black serveta. 

It is a great deal. Even if it's $1500 I would still go to them. I do try to make it as easy as possible for them. All welding, blasting, cleaning/degreasing done prior to drop off. I do bring stuff by if I have a question about what is acceptable and what they need me to take care of. 

• Upvote 1

It's not hard to paint a bike, especially if it's just one color (that's not a metal flake/candy/pearl). While materials are expensive, the real cost is in the bodywork. I've spent dozens of hours prepping (supposedly) straight panels - but it only took a couple (set-up/spray/clean-up) to shoot them. It helps if you have a good painting environment and can lay it on "dipped" -  so sanding/buffing isn't necessary, too.
I have had parts (fork, hubs, rims, gas tank, glovebox, centerstand) powdercoated, and if you can get a good match/compliment to your paint, that is also an efficient option.