Andrew ITA

150 LD MKII - Build thread...from rust to glory

Exhaust installed...as usual, nothing lines up, had to modify the mount slightly and then slowly bend everything in place

P1080582.JPG

• Like 1

...cables. I've installed an extra wire in the loom, that will provide regulated 12V inside the glovebox for accessories (phone charger).

New lower steering cup, license plate holder and sprint rack

P1080583.JPG

• Like 1

Entire front end is now installed...I used 23 1/4 inch balls in bottom, 36 1/8 inch balls on the top. Works much smoother than caged bearings. Took some patience though...

P1080592.JPG

P1080591.JPG

• Upvote 1

More cabling work...had an issue with the steering lock, the locking pin was not centered on the first hole in handlebar support: the lock had to move inwards. Without a lathe, I improvised...by keeping a steady hand, you won't know the difference :)

P1080593.JPG

Cabling is almost done, only missing the rubber sheathing that I still need to measure and cut. Unfortunately, the gas cable outer is a little too short (due to the PHBG), I'll try to see if I can add another adjuster to lengthen the assembly and gain an inch

P1080599.JPG

• Upvote 2

Cabling is now done, including the sleeves that were a major pain.

P1080628.JPG

Installed tank, choke and tap, no leaks.

P1080630.JPG

• Upvote 3

Front horncast assembled and air scoops finally done and ready to be installed!

P1080632.JPG

I figured it took about 10 hours to restore the air scoops alone, but  it was worth it...these are are an original set from back then, not a repopIMG_20170222_103636.jpg

...getting closer! just finished the electrical connections and the cowling (as always, a big pain to align)

P1080639.JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I've also decided to make a minor modification to the sidepanel latches. The Casa kit comes with a cast bushing that is pretty rough: during the dry build I noticed that sometimes the latches would get stuck half-way and not close properly unless I manually force the bushing from underneath with my hand. I decided to swap them for others made of brass (from scootopia) that are machined smooth. This should improve the situation quite a bit

P1080638.JPG

Real nice!
I like that rear "sprint" rack (don't think I've seen them on an LD before?). Where's it from?

Thanks! i like it because it's small and streamlined, it does not interfere with the sweep of the rear. 

The sprint racks are very hard to get for the LD, I found it on the ebay UK about a year ago, I think I got the last one available. I will send you the merchant info via PM

No it's specific for LDs, when I bought it a year ago there were only 2 available. Try to contact the guy and see if he has more stock coming in...the title was LAMBRETTA SPRINT RACK LD Models LD SPRINT RACK IN STAINLESS

• Upvote 1

...if you ever worked on a LD, you know...these rubber parts always end up giving me trouble...took an entire afternoon and ended up with terrible hand cramps.

P1080662.jpg

P1080663.jpg

• Like 1

It really took forever but I'm happy I was also able to finish the clock! I tried to tap it and shake it functions properly, no time skipping. I will test it to see if the vibrations affect it in any way. I wish I could find hands that were little thicker, unfortunately the OEM shape was quite unique and these are the  closest ones I could find. 

All in all I'm really happy with how close I got to the real one when it comes to overall look

P1080667.jpg

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Andrew ITA said:

...if you ever worked on a LD, you know...these rubber parts always end up giving me trouble...took an entire afternoon and ended up with terrible hand cramps.

P1080662.jpg

P1080663.jpg

Lots of rubber bits fit easier after they are boiled in water first.  Amazing how much more pliable they become.

Thanks! I"ve actually tried that (submerging them in boiling water for 10 minutes) and also smearing soap on the inside to make them slip better...made a lot of difference, from level impossible to level (painfully) possible! :)

• Upvote 1

Well I'm glad the rubber saga is over, more progress done! 

Floor strips, footboard/floorboard extensions, glovebox.

P1080669.JPG

This is my final setup. Both clock and speedo are backlit, feed is taken from black cable (rear light) which is 12V AC (I added a fuse in the circuit) then goes into a KOSO AC/DC converted, which feeds 12VDC to the instruments. The clock itself is powered by an E90 battery that you can simply change from underneath the instrument, probably good for a couple of years.

A second feed comes from the Varitronic regulator, the red 12VDC battery trickle charge is used to power a USB port for mobile phone charging. That circuit is fused too.P1080672.JPG

Both fuses are installed between the steering column and the legshield.

P1080674.JPG

P1080673.JPG

• Upvote 1

I'm not really happy with the cable routing, throttle too short and gear too long, I will need to do some rerouting, cut&lengthen type of work.

Besides that, I'm now left with fixing the front brake clunk (hub locking tab is worn).  I'll probably fabricate a copper shim to take out the play

P1080676.thumb.JPG.1ade1bd8164fed4467cc4ad4b406eab8.JPG

• Upvote 1

ok, just fixed the last PITA for this build (or at least I hope). 

I've taken the slack out of the front hub by adding a copper bushing that I made out  of a coupling I found at Home Depot. Will see how long it lasts, so far it seems to be working just fine

P1080678.JPG