ben92129

ss200 casa ignition cyclone5 delortto35

great set up, having issues with engine bogging down in 4th and 5th gears...... any help would be appreciated.

Issue is not constant, seems to happen after about 5 or 10 miles of riding

IMG_0783[1].JPG

I believe it is because you have grease nipples on your fork link bolts. At just the correct velocity(between 4th and 5th) the nipples are setting up a vortex which is interfering with airflow.

Nipples were only fitted to the earlier Series Lammy's and as they never got anywhere close to the speeds you are doing, the engineers at Innocenti never bothered to check the correlation between said nipples and airflow at high speed. Obviously, later models went a lot faster, they then discovered a problem and changed to non-nipple type links.

• Upvote 4

running fine for the past 900km......Peaky is an understatement.

Really thinking that i am loosing compression, after the engine gets to operating temp, let it cool and it returns to normal working order.

Even with the issue in 4th and 5th, the bike will run though 1st 2nd 3rd just fine high revs and all. get to 4th and boggggggg. let it cool and we are good till it gets back to its upper operating temp.

On 12/1/2016 at 7:38 PM, ben92129 said:

great set up, having issues with engine bogging down in 4th and 5th gears...... any help would be appreciated.

Issue is not constant, seems to happen after about 5 or 10 miles of riding

IMG_0783[1].JPG

Hello there.
I had the very same problem with my first Lambretta.
Long story short, the motor was soft seizing.
The motor would bog down in 4th gear. I would pullover and let the motor cool down. Then fire the Lam back up and keep riding.      Note: this was in the 80s, my first 2-stroke scooter. I had no idea what I was doing. I was just having fun blasting down the street. haha.

I found out, I wasn’t putting enough 2-stroke oil in the gas. Check your sparkplug, I bet its super white.

It took me a long time to find out my bogging problem, because the motor ran great. I couldn’t imagine it was seizing. Sometimes when it bog down, I would pullover with the motor run, thinking it had something to do with the muffler. I looked at the muffler, motor still running. Didn’t see a problem and kept ride.    

WhatUp Mike, Ben said
(2nd 3rd just fine high revs and all. Get to 4th and boggggggg. let it cool and we are good till it gets back to its upper operating temp.)

It sounds like Ben is saying the bogging, is bringing the motor down to a crawl, and he has to pullover and stop?

Question for you Ben.
1. Is the bogging bringing the motor down to a crawl?
Or
2. When the bogging starts in 4th gear. Then you
down shift to 3 and 2 gear, dose the bogging stop and the
motor starts running okay?

If your motor runs like 1.
It sounds like a classic soft seize to me.
To fix this problem, put in the correct amount of 2stroke
mix in the fuel. If your 2stroke mix in correct. Check that
sparkplug and start using a cooler sparkplug!

If your motor runs like 2.
It could be the jetting like Mike said or maybe that air filter you are running. I had a few friends with that type air filter and it made their motor bog in 3rd gear. Pull that air filter off and see what happens.

I honestly doubt a cooler plug or the right mix would solve this problem. Given that the nikasil on these kits has been flaky from like the 2 public reviews in these kits, supposedly from lean carburation, I think you may have dropped some nikasil and damaged your rings. I would first reaffirm your carb settings, have you plug chopped at all? Then pull the barrel and look at the rings... 

I would stick a scope into the spark plug hole. Don't have one? Get one for $80 at Harbor Freight. It works.

You've got a bunch of cash in that engine.

I don’t know about the kit he’s running.
I would check the mix and plug first. Then do the stuff you are talking about next.
It will take on time and money to check the mix and plug.

I have seen people put the wrong mix in scooter before and seize their motors at rallies. That’s what happen to me back in the day.

(Cooler plug)
I put a lot of time into a race scooter I had that was overheating. I played around with the jetting, carburetors and different spark plug temperatures. The only thing made a immediate different with the heat, was a cooler spark plug every time.

The jetting only help me smooth out the motor on the top end. I’m taking about pushing 90+ mph.      
With the jetting changes, for me was. Either a good takeoff with one jet type or a fast and smooth top end with the other jet.

So is this all a dead issue? Or is it because the user can't post due to restrictions on the forum?

This thread was moved to Product Reviews and Installations? It should be under Technical Advice.