TRs

Carb blowback making a huge mess

Stupid question du jour...

RB kit with right side carb...I normally run a boot which catches most of the blowbackbut when I can't, all my previous scooters have had the carb on the left side and the blowback goes down the nicely sloped floorboard inner edge and drains the the ground. With the carb on the right, I am getting a puddle of gas/oil building up on the floorboard...What have people done with this mess to keep it more tidy?

This is on a full panel scooter, there's very little room between the carb and the side panel...

Somethings up. Blowback should't be that bad with a reed. Did you go a full 360 intake duration?

How about I didn't check...? This is the RB25 motor that came in a box from Ryan Montana that was ported by Tony Simoni.... I bolted it together without checking any of the porting timing...! 

Geez...

I'd pull the head and do a visual check of where the reed holes in piston are as the piston closes the transfers.

Got a chance to take a closer look at it today. There is some blowback, but the carb overflow is also giving some fuel when I lean the bike side to side. Going to make sure the floats are doing their job all the time...

If it is a moern Dellorto and has a white float - it is probably filled with fuel.

Mikuni TMX...Cleaned up, was a bit gummy inside from sitting. Hopefully that cures it...

...and to close this thread, I believe the spitback was one of the reeds starting to fail...Motor crapped out and after looking at everything (but the reeds) multiple times, on a more thorough and exhaustive inspection, found one of the reeds is bad. I hope the next set lasts more than 100 miles, I do not see any sharp edges or anything that would make them fail. Now that it appears that the spitback was actually evidence of a failing reed and not just a big carb breathing issue, it seems pretty obvious! Live and learn...

On 12/28/2016 at 1:18 PM, TRs said:

...and to close this thread, I believe the spitback was one of the reeds starting to fail...Motor crapped out and after looking at everything (but the reeds) multiple times, on a more thorough and exhaustive inspection, found one of the reeds is bad. I hope the next set lasts more than 100 miles, I do not see any sharp edges or anything that would make them fail. Now that it appears that the spitback was actually evidence of a failing reed and not just a big carb breathing issue, it seems pretty obvious! Live and learn...

...and to follow up with you (sorry, late to the party for many a reason) but you are describing exactly the same issue I was having and sure enough, reed/s were toast.

Trying to get the time this weekend or in the evenings this week to install and try out the cabon fiber replacement ones from AFR.  I'll let you know how it goes.

• Upvote 1