Sam Lock

I wish this was true.

Nobody wishes that were true. All the people who are excited about that should go over to ModernV3$p@ and spread their bodies with their own feces while jumping up and down, screaming, "YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY."

Because then the fun we have can be had by anyone with money. And this room already has enough of those, thank you very much.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I gotta say I am not excited about a 4 stroke Lambretta GP clone...But if they start making TV and SX clones, I honestly don't know what to think of that. I love the look of those bikes and seeing more on the road would make me happy. Add a modern wacko build 2T motor and I think I would like it.

And Chris, think of all the new customers that would need you to work on their scooters...!

• Upvote 2

Well said UJ.

However, I would have to add that when the twist 'n go V$@&a crew came on board back in 2000, the interest in shifty scoots picked up also. Many twisty folks got a vintage ride for the stable as well, which was good for everyone concerned.

Won't see me working on an auto from either manufacturer.

With all due respect I couldn't disagree more. I think the reason the scene has stalled is because vintage scooters, especially Lambretta's, have now become too expensive for new, younger blood to jump in. $10K+ for an SX or TV. LI's in the thousands. Some new machines on the road would have a trickle down effect. Within five years they would be a used market of these newer machines getting more and more on the road.  If the article were even legit, all these Indian made machines would probable benefit from newer upgrades... MB fork links, upgraded suspension not to mention cables, brake shoes, etc. This giving all the shops a whole new life blood.

I agree they are not original, Italian machines (but neither is a Serveta or a SIL GP) and I wouldn't really buy one either. But then again I wouldn't spend $10K on an original scooter. I am content with the couple of Lambrettas I have and would rather a younger, local guy pick up anything that goes up for sale locally. It seems like there are about ten guys on this board that post on the regular and if they are stockpiling original bikes in their garages external interest will die pretty quickly. Maybe that's what the goal is? I don't know.

As far as people with money getting in on the fun. Every scene / hobby has it's checkbook Charlies but usually they don't want to get their hands dirty and will take their bike to a shop to get the plug changed. They also seem to get bored pretty quickly selling the bike on to someone who can only afford used but is a real enthusiast. I own a record store and the exact same debate is going on with vinyl. Some guys will only buy original pressings and snub the re-issues. The re-issues have allowed a lot of kids to get into vinyl who then dig deeper and start to collect originals. The re-issues have definitely pushed up the prices of the originals. Some guys own 1000's of expensive records and never play them!

As far as the modern V3$p@ thing goes. When the new V3$p@'s came out they looked nothing like the classic ones. They were auto twist and go hideous looking things. The SIL in the article looked just like the original Bartone design with a geared engine.

The Italian machines will ALWAYS be the original machines that are held with the "Holy Grail" status and I don't think this articles fruition would ever threaten or take that away, if anything it would enhance it.

We could even dig a little deeper. If you have an original Italian machine but everything except the frame and engine case has been upgraded, suspension, brakes, Cyclone five speed gearbox, etc, is it still a true original machine? There are probably guys out there with different schools of thought on that. Personally, if the upgrade improves safety, reliability and performance I'm all for it.

For me I just want to see more Lambretta's on the road. Seeing one makes me want to jump up and down and shout  "YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY". Not too sure about the feces tho' :)

• Upvote 4

It's like a lamborghini body kit on a fiero. if you want a lambretta you, have to work very hard to get it. A labor of love. if a young kid wants a bike and has very little $ they have to educate themselves, buy a P.O.S. project and jump in. it's not about instant gratification. It's not like an acessorie that you throw together with a flannel, beard, Hitler youth haircut. Respect to all Lambretta owners! 

When the twist and goes first came out, the market became inundated with vintage bikes. Cool Kids dumped vintage for more reliable, hands free fashion acessories.  

• Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, Stu said:

It's like a lamborghini body kit on a fiero. if you want a lambretta you, have to work very hard to get it. A labor of love. if a young kid wants a bike and has very little $ they have to educate themselves, buy a P.O.S. project and jump in. it's not about instant gratification. It's not like an acessorie that you throw together with a flannel, beard, Hitler youth haircut. Respect to all Lambretta owners! 

When the twist and goes first came out, the market became inundated with vintage bikes. Cool Kids dumped vintage for more reliable, hands free fashion acessories.  

You mean you don't want to see this guy on a Lambretta. Ha Ha, I would have to agree there.

hipsters-behold-your-king-29792-1310050949-2.jpg

• Upvote 3

On November 8, 2016 at 2:16 PM, Sam Lock said:

You mean you don't want to see this guy on a Lambretta. Ha Ha, I would have to agree there.

hipsters-behold-your-king-29792-1310050949-2.jpg

That's what I was planning on wearing to this years jammy! You ruined it now!

• Upvote 2

I'm sorry but I would rock the pants off of a 350cc 4 stroke manual transmission lammy. 2 strokes are fun but a well designed, powerful 4 stroke is equally fun.

I can appreciate each for their inherent qualities . 

Fair enough. 4 strokes are boring unless you have a good amount of cc's. 

At the end of the day, the last internal combustion motor running will be a very small displacement 2 stroke with lots of gears and a flywheel heavy enough to keep it ticking. Less material to make it and therefore less cost with maximum omph. Run the bastard on veggie oil...

Oh it would definitely need to be a high performance  4 stroke to make it worth while. if left to their own design, the Indians would make it a fuel sipper so it would be a total pooch. 

A better example would be the KTM 390 Duke engine. Even though it's made by Bajaj, KTM designed it. 375cc that puts out 44hp. That's a whole lot of hp combined with the inherent torque of a 4 stroke single, which would create a lot of smiles per mile.

That goes back to my wish that KTM would purchase the rights to Lambretta to enter the scooter market. They are probably the only company that would create new designs while respecting the legacy of performance and style that Lambrettas have. Everyone else would/will just continue to build a retro inspired tng with some off the shelf engine that is essentially just a cash grab using lambrettas good name.

I'd take even a boring 350cc if i could reliably commute via freeway on it. that's what has me excited for the large block motors coming out, a mild tune that can do some comfortable miles at a good clip. i'm not too gung ho about pushing the limits of an expensive piece of kit, but would love to see some big HP changes from an increase in displacement. 

• Upvote 1