richard sloan

BGM 195cc kit vs. Mugello 200cc kit for Series 3 Li 150

I'm very new to anything performance on a Lambretta.   I have a  early 1963 Li 150 Im trying to get to go a bit faster and climb better.

I currently have stock 150 barrel and piston and a 25mm Dellorto carb, running through the air box with an ancillotti exhaust.

Hoping  to climb easier and go a bit faster.  Not looking to go Bezerker. or race.  

Want reliability to be number one priority. Hoping to keep everything I have currently and just add a kit and possibly re-jet current carb ?

I'm far from a good or decent Lambretta mechanic and could use some advice from anyone who has time !  I'm thinking about the two kits above...Mugello 200cc kit   or  BGM 195cc kit ?

Much Appreciated..

Cheers, Rich

Bgm. You will need to rejet, change your intake manifold to 200cc, check your port timings and squish. Electronic ignition and crank replacement are recommended.

Bgm. You will need to rejet, change your intake manifold to 200cc, check your port timings and squish. Electronic ignition and crank replacement are recommended.

Derek,  Thanks for advice.  I have BGM electronic ignition already,  My crank is a newer low mile stock Li crank,    Could I use existing crank and still get good results    I'm from Santa Rosa, nice to see Petaluma representing !  Love riding through West Luma to Stinson Beach.  I live there part time.

Thanks again !   Rich

I like my RT kit. It was easy to setup and makes a good amount of torque.

I just built my first mugello and it wasn't as easy to setup as the RT as I had to match the bottom of the exhaust port with the piston crown at bdc. I have not run it yet but according to Patrick at P-town, they apparently will wallup an RT. I'm curious to try it out but need to get the remaining parts from the painter first.

I've fitted two Mugello kits. One was for Gary Castro and the other was for David Carmona. The port heights on both were inconsistent, which meant that fitting them right our of the box will require more knowhow and a lot more work. Modifying ports from inside the barrel is a very different thing than busting out a Dremel and removing some material from the case transfers. I presently own 2 BGM RT225 kits and have fitted 4 others. Other than the ridge of nicasil/ceramic that is in some of them at the bottom of the cylinder transfers, the port heights were so that I could just bolt them on with great results and minimal modifications.

I've fitted two Mugello kits. One was for Gary Castro and the other was for David Carmona. The port heights on both were inconsistent, which meant that fitting them right our of the box will require more knowhow and a lot more work. Modifying ports from inside the barrel is a very different thing than busting out a Dremel and removing some material from the case transfers. I presently own 2 BGM RT225 kits and have fitted 4 others. Other than the ridge of nicasil/ceramic that is in some of them at the bottom of the cylinder transfers, the port heights were so that I could just bolt them on with great results and minimal modifications.

Christopher,  Thanks once again for all your help and advice !   You have helped me more than anyone with scooters, several times, and have helped me get all my scooters ALWAYS running tip-top. I wish I was half the mechanic you are. ( maybe  one day ? )Looks like I'm going to go BGM.  Hope to show you my LI soon and kick you some wine. This will be the first Lambretta I have put a kit on. Great to hear from you and all the nice people on this forum.   Best, Rich

• Upvote 2

I also have 195 R/T kit and I really like it. I have the 24mm Dellorto carb kit with matching manifold but might be switching to 24mm Mikuni carb with matching manifold, BGM electronics, BGM exhaust and 150 gearing which may change. Very happy with it. I am in Las Vegas.

Out of the box, the Mugellos have more aggressive porting than the RTs.  They are good value for money and cost a little less than the RT.  Previous versions had quality issues so I'm not sure if they've been addressed with the latest Version 5.  The only quality issues I've seen with RTs were the aforementioned extra slivers of nikasil overlapping ports which is an easy fix with a dremel.  In stock form the RTs are good, torquey, fuel efficient top ends.  The Mugellos are probably a bit racier and revvier, and easier to port to higher states of tune, or do a reed conversion.