gone

What the gossip on the Casa SS2xx kits?

Noticed three different threads about the Casa Performance SS2xx kits on three other vintage Lambretta forums and the information on these kits is ZERO. Nearly every other kit produced and sold (GT, BGM RT, Imola, TS1, Mugello, etc) have tons of people building and using them with even more open conversations about them all over the internet. However, the 3 threads I've come across on the Casa Performance kits all lead to the original posters of the threads going tight-lipped, with two of the kits' owners plainly clamming up after having "issues" with the kits. 

I know Mr. G in NYC is building an SX engine with one of these kits with the goal of driving from NYC to Duluth. But nothing else. Anyone hear anything?

The only thing I've read is the nicasil is thin and flaky. It's seems RLC is building a lot of SS kitted motors.

I saw a pre port matching photo of a case and was not thrilled at the transfer port angles and size. If the photo was accurate then the case transfers are going to be super thin and come out at a weird angle.

If some one wants me to build one I'd be happy to take a look.

I saw a pre port matching photo of a case and was not thriller at the transfer port angles and size. If the photo was accurate then the case transfers are going to be super thin and come out at a weird angle.

If some one wants me to build one I'd be happy to take a look.

ive see this for the 225 kit  and the cases need to have material added to the transfers , which is not too much of a problem in the Uk but here in the states, especially on the east coast nobody that can weld wants to tig weld a 50year old engine case. and if you can get it done it'll add another $200-300 + to your engine build costs .

alternatively the suggestion from rimini lambretta is to use their special gasket sealer and itll be ok ....thin transfer wall but ok ..

;)

So this issue will be solved with new Casa cases as they have more material.

But will a $1600 engine case keep the nicasil from coming off?

I'm more intrigued by the lack of transparency in the typical review/reporting methods available to the Lambretta community. I mean, if users are holding their tongues I'm curious as to why. But I mostly want to know the nature of the failures.

• Upvote 1

It takes a long long time for feedback to roll out on cylinder kits. Most people in the States don't go for the big cylinder kits any longer or have blown there wad on an RB kit years ago. I can tell you that the SS kits have already been updated with changes to the ports/transfers so they have been improved. Most "issues" come down to carburation - that includes flaky nicasil.

If we have any left we can bring them again to the Jammy. Hopefully we'll get one built up and in a bike as well but working on our own stuff always seems to get pushed to the back of the line.

• Upvote 1

Honestly I just don't think a lot of these are out there. With the current trend of building touring mounts and such, the high revving kits have become a little less in vogue. I just don't believe there has been a lot of these sold and the ones that do get sold, depending on the circumstances of the build they may not have even hit the ground yet. 

The Casa 185/210, Mugello, GT and RT kits seem to be the go to kits right now so launching the SS line was really going against recent trends.  That's not to say that those trends won't change but I personally believe that all this 305 business is as much a marketing vehicle to change buyer preferences as it is an exercise in developing new products to improve the existing offerings from Casa.

I'm very interested in building something a bit more technical. And I've realized that with so much hot 'n heavy gear in the works now it might not be the time to spend any money. This is where my thinking was when I posted this inquiry about the Casa Performance kits - I couldn't find the original threads discussing the kits and the threads I could find on the kits had all been edited by either the persons who purchased the kits or by the forum administrators.

I do agree with theageofindustry post about the current trends in Lambretta gear leaning away tweaky motors and more towards torque-driven touring usage.

ive see this for the 225 kit  and the cases need to have material added to the transfers , which is not too much of a problem in the Uk but here in the states, especially on the east coast nobody that can weld wants to tig weld a 50year old engine case. and if you can get it done it'll add another $200-300 + to your engine build costs .

alternatively the suggestion from rimini lambretta is to use their special gasket sealer and itll be ok ....thin transfer wall but ok ..

;)

Sounds like you should buy a tig and learn to weld aluminium :D 

It's great they are producing top ends but it would be more great if they took the original case in to consideration when doing so (unless they are not designed for factory cases and in that case it should be stated so).

• Upvote 1

So this issue will be solved with new Casa cases as they have more material.

They certainly do.

Sticky-Casa-Case-crank-8-800.jpg

A massively-enlarged gasket face allowing the fitment of anything from conventional Lambretta barrels to other exotica.

They are currently claiming that the Casa Case “has the largest gasket face of any Lambretta engine in the Universe.”

PLENTY!  I've got my concerns about fitment of everything else on/in the case.. maybe I'm a nervous nelly but... 

I've decided to not mount SS225 kits on standard 200 cases. Using a Jet200 case, the transfer overlap (case/cylinder) on one side was only 1mm. This amount of overlap was similar for an SX200 and an Indian200 case I had on hand to measure. I have decided to wait for the newly designed cases before I build up engines using the SS225 cylinders. Which sucks because I currently have several kits on the shelf. If you know someone that can competently add material to the case and then do the machining required to flatten the face, that is an option. The SS200 transfer overlap is much better, 3mm+ so I am currently building a new motor with this top end and will post some updates when I have them. Unfortunately I am waiting for delivery of the newly designed Casa Performance cranks to continue the build.

• Upvote 2

Honestly I just don't think a lot of these are out there. With the current trend of building touring mounts and such, the high revving kits have become a little less in vogue. I just don't believe there has been a lot of these sold and the ones that do get sold, depending on the circumstances of the build they may not have even hit the ground yet. 

The Casa 185/210, Mugello, GT and RT kits seem to be the go to kits right now so launching the SS line was really going against recent trends.  That's not to say that those trends won't change but I personally believe that all this 305 business is as much a marketing vehicle to change buyer preferences as it is an exercise in developing new products to improve the existing offerings from Casa.

That's not really true, at least for the European market. With speed limits much higher than in the USA, and longer distances to travel, not to mention all the track and drag racing that's done here, a market does exist for big cc Lambretta engines. I'd like something more powerful than my TS1 even for use in America, if only to cover long distances more quickly and have even more "hooligan" potential.  SLUK has just posted this, currenly under development: a 350 cc twin

bicilindrico-2-1160x653-1421x800.jpg

• Upvote 1

Personally, I'm not buying anything for a while. I've got two TS1 motors to build yet and a change in living to do, but after that, after the dust settles and prices are set, I may be in the market for something bigger, more powerful for my Lambretta. The CASA case and any others that have these extra large base gasket areas and flexibility as to cylinder stud location, would be perfect for building a bike barrell conversion. Think of it, anything, almost, would be possible without the need to heavily modify an existing original case. Machine the case to match whatever cylinder you want to use. At worst, a case reed conversion might be neccessary. Or you could just buy a BSG barrel and use that.

I'm finally building something for myself - the latest SS200 kit, Casa crank, latest Cyclone 5 speed, BGM 6 plate clutch, Casa variable ignition, VHSB 34mm carb, Casa/Jolly expansion etc. - it's all been ridiculously easy so far but I am 100% following their spec. Case was already matched to a BGM195 so there was a very minimal amount of material to take away. Quality has all been superb and miles ahead of some of the other stuff we see. I hope to bring it to the Jammy to at least show the parts off before it starts it's life as an unruly wheelie machine :) Hope to bring some surprises as well - fingers crossed.

• Upvote 2

Mark, I love the idea of building something out of all the bits you sell, should provide insight into issues less experienced builders/customers might have...

That is standard practice for us. We fit and use just about every critical part there is - both short term tests and long term tests on our own bikes.

I figured as much...! Plans to document the build and then crazy video of the dyno run?

i heard you wanted a pink cylinder head, is that true?

On 12/21/2016 at 2:46 PM, DerekM said:

any other updates on this kit? springing for the small block version.