Where I am at with the TV200

• 2 months later...

With a serious low compression issue, I am just going with an OS piston. I have read suggestions of leaving the lower (3rd) ring off. Yes/No ? I do not plan  to be racing this machine.

I imagine you checked your piston ring end-gap? I can't remember reading whether or not you measured that.

Get MB on the phone at 4AM and see if they can sell you a forged piston in an OS you'd like.

(Yes, most people remove the bottom-most piston ring, but more modern pistons don't have three so no woorying about this.)

Thanks. The gaps were at or over the limit up high and the blow-by was horrendous. I knew I was just putting things off when I did it 5 years ago.  I just dropped the cylinder and piston (2nd over from Jet200)) at my guy's shop. His comment was " Boy this bore  is really worn" but everything will fit fine and I guess I'll go with two rings. Should be on the road soon.. 

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, the time has come. I am heading out in a few on what could be 650 miles over five days. Upstate NY to VT , NH, MA, and home, traveling through these mountain ranges : Catskill, Adirondack, Green, and Berkshire. This ain't Duluth.

I think the bike is ready, it just remains to be seen if I can sit on it that long.

• Upvote 2

Home safe and sound:  me and the bike. Total of 785 miles ridden on Saturday, Monday, Wednesday and Thursday. I'll write up some details and impressions in a while. As I expected, the worst of it all was the seat.

• Upvote 2

Home safe and sound:  me and the bike. Total of 785 miles ridden on Saturday, Monday, Wednesday and Thursday. I'll write up some details and impressions in a while. As I expected, the worst of it all was the seat.

Nicely done all the way around. Let me know if you'd like to add some correct looking factory waterslides on it. I have all of them for a TV200. 

Thanks, Mike, but I do not know  what the waterslides ( graphics?) look like. Now I have to  consider

whether or not to keep this bike. It is definitely geared for the road and not for scooting around and I have a perfectly sweet 180cc V**** for that . Also, the 125 that could be kitted a bit. Both are more in the patina category and not so precious, you know ?  If this was a flatter part of the world, maybe...One thing's for sure : the seat has to go. It was painfully annoying most of the time but I am not sure I even want to do another long distance trip anyway. I doubt I would spend the $400-$500 (?) for a better seat at this point.

• 1 month later...

Enjoying the TV with the new BGM 12v DC conversion. Lights that light up the world and reliability to boot. Cold : one prime kick and one to start . Hot: kicks once like switch turning on the motor. Every time. I have worked out virtually every rattle and she's a dream to ride. Now... I am a bit surprised at what seems to be a lack of real power (speed)  I expected from a 200. It's got power to accelerate up almost any hill and feels very smooth ( for a TV I guess), but just not 'fast' in any real sense . ( I am refraining from making a comparison here) I totally understand that it is geared for the road.  I have the timing at 19 at idle , the compression's good on the new 66.4 piston after about 1000 miles. Whatever the 'HighTest' is at the pump and Amsoil Dominator for oil at 3%. New standard exhaust.  I wonder if it is air induction ? I have read about opening up the baffle in the air scoop and wonder if it is there intentionally for some reason. Could removing it really make a difference? Or a less restrictive filter ? Would it even require upjetting from stock ( 108 if I recall) ? Set the timing at some max point at high RPM's ? Aside from the 'conversion' parts I have installed, I am not looking to do any real performance mods but it just feels like there should be more somehow.

Bill