Sign in to follow this  
2Tony

Fiberglass fender...

I've seen a few posts on here about fiberglass fenders, and thought I'd share my "work." I've had both a TV and a LiS with original fiberglass fenders, and besides originality, there are other pros (and cons). Anyways, I wanted to use this on my S-Type SX replica, and wasn't sure if it was even "salvageable?" When I got it, it looked like a shark had taken a bite out of the nose, not to mention the multiple cracks and chips in the fiberglass. I guessed at the the best way to fix it, and it started with carefully laying duct tape on the top, and cutting and moving (stretching/shrinking and retaping) several times to get the right shape. I then layed fiberglass tape - the heavy duty stuff. I remembered reading on the old LCUSA forum about a guy fixing his fender with epoxy from a boat repair supply shop, so I searched for such a material. What I found was a product by 3M that required use of a $70 "caulk gun." I passed, but finally found another product that came in toothpaste tubes, and mixed more like JB weld. Really, it was hard to work with (kinda like using bubble gum as body filler), but it sanded unbelievably easy. I ended up doing multiple coats of it without too many hiccups, and finally laid my hi-build primer. It was nice to block sand the fender, as I felt I got a really good even surface (not always as easy with dented metal). Check out the pics (before, underside with the fiberglass, during, primed, with other parts with my guide coat, then with first coat of two-tone paint, and finished product). DSCN2496%202-20160128-191752274_zpszu49fIMAG3046_zpsymgfcn5r.jpgIMAG3047_zpsmfdrm3ta.jpgIMAG3104_zps6gugyxot.jpgIMAG3107_zpsfvyhlulb.jpgIMAG3110_zpssddurx84.jpgIMAG3111_zpsldi2203v.jpgIMAG3116_zpsngzpcrcv.jpg

• Upvote 7

Damn. Give this man a prize! I cannot believe you mad that look so good.

Excellent effort.

Thanks guys. I'm looking for another one (for a TV 200). If anyone has one that they think is a "goner," please contact me with pics, and I may take it off your hands!

Holy smokes. You should become a sculptor. What product did you use ? I have one with minor damage I need to repair.

Thought I'd share a pic of the bike with (above) fender on it, taken at Lammy Jammy 2017.

SType_LJ_17.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 11:35 PM, speed_kills said:

Holy smokes. You should become a sculptor. What product did you use ? I have one with minor damage I need to repair.

Thank you. Feel free to send me pics, and I'll advise. I will check tonight the name of the epoxy compound I used (only one that could be hand-mixed, rather than using 3M's expensive dispenser tube). As for the fiberglass on the underside, I used the tape (thicker/stronger than just the "cloth") and regular resin/hardener.

Tony, someone came up to me at the presentation at the Jammy who had some that needed doing. His name is on the tip of my tounge....he was with the girl who was riding the red GP with a Va. tag. Damn, wish I could remember his name....

Scott was his name. Scott are you out there?

Speed kills....the name of the epoxy i used was "Sure Seal," and i got the "semi-rigid" blend.

Darren - i remeber speaking with a couple folks about fenders. Anyone may feel free to contact me.

• Upvote 1